Thread: Pony Wall VS Full Wall ?

Default Pony Wall VS Full Wall ?

I am trying to decide if I should build a full wall or a pony wall on the second floor of my cabin. I know a full wall will cost more for material and become a larger space to heat. A full wall will also allow me to put more insulation in the lid and I can just build straight rafters vs scissor trusses.

Are there any major benifits good or bad I'm missing for each?

I would say go with a full wall . With a pony wall about one half of your floor space in dealt with by always bumping your head. As for heating there is never a problem with lack of heat. Most of the time it gets too hot in the upstairs area unless you have a way to close it off. And as you say the insulation part would be a lot easier.

If you are worried about taxes.... a loft doesn't add as much per sq ft as a full height wall. You can ask for a building appriaser where you are building. I asked this question 6 months ago of the Mat-Su Borough after they jucked up a friends taxes by double.

Thanks,
    I think the full wall would be easier for me. I see a lot of pony walls and just wanted to nake sure I wasn't missing something.

Default Pony wall

We just added a 4' pony wall 2nd story to our place.
    It is perfect for our application as it "blends" better with the old cabin and doesn't seem to stick up so much.
    With a larger footprint, it would look better but for our circumastances, this worked perfectly for the bedroom upstairs.
    pony wall construction.jpgpony wall inside.jpg
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    We just added a 4' pony wall 2nd story to our place.
    It is perfect for our application as it "blends" better with the old cabin and doesn't seem to stick up so much.
    With a larger footprint, it would look better but for our circumastances, this worked perfectly for the bedroom upstairs.
    pony wall construction.jpgpony wall inside.jpg
    BK
    I like it...!!!

And to 375, if you think you need the extra room then go for it. But as you can see "bk's" place looks great and serves it's purpose I'm sure. Above my 16x24 shop I went with a 2 foot wall and build a nice dormer as well. Still a nice amount of room for storage, reloading bench, and my radio room up there. I can definitely see why people decide on pony walls.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!