Thread: trip report 8/18 to 8/27

Default trip report 8/18 to 8/27

Started out on montana and willow , lots of chums and pinks no silvers we all saw that coming . So headed down to the russian and got on to the bead fishing and caught dolys and bows in good numbers up to 23'' . Some silvers mixed in but not alot , looks like it was a good sockeye run . A lot of bears at the russian we counted 16 bear in 2 1/2 days of fishing but none seemed aggressive !! Met a lot of good people down there and really enjoyed are time at the russian . A great meal at Gwins lodge one night and camped at the ferry parking lot good time !!!
    chugbugs are for big bass -topwater!

Sounds like you had a blast. The wife and I leave to get up there on Saturday. We're planning on starting up off the Parks, then working our way around to the Russian. What a great river. Did you fish the confluence, or did you hike up a ways? And where did you see most of those bears? Thanks for the info.

Did you do any trout fishing up north? Or anyone else have a report of that? I've been on the upper/Russian every weekend since the opener and looking for some new scenery this week. Thanks

The water levels are a bit high right now, but probably still fishable as long as clarity is good. Can't say for sure without seeing it myself.

Yeah we had a great time , the willow and especially montana were loaded with pinks and chum . The russian we fished exactly half way between the the upper fillet table and the ferry , there's a big dead tree in the water on the island side that was where I got into a lot of bows and dollys but I fished it from the main bank , I would defiantly NOT go on the island , its to easy to get into bear trouble over there .Didn't hike up the russian the fishing was good from where it enters the kenai to the ferry .Bears were on the island and some on the bank where the ferry drops you off also a lot of bears at the russian confluence at the upper fillet table and there's a sow and cubs that is coming into the ferry camping area quite often not to much of a problem just be aware . I tried for trout on the willow but didn't do much , a guide came through and picked one up and said it was the only bow of the float for them . Water levels were good where we were.
    chugbugs are for big bass -topwater!

Thanks Chugbug. I'll keep my head on a swivel. Good report.