Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lower/Middle Kenai Silver Run Update?

Default Lower/Middle Kenai Silver Run Update?

I have seen pretty much zero reports on Kenai silvers so far this year. Has the run been as bad as it sounds? Are they late coming or just not coming? What do you guys think might be the cause?

We decided to come up in late September this year to target the second silver run. Based on what I have heard so far I'm glad we did. For those of you in the know, in years past has there been any correlation between the strength of the early and late run lower Kenai silvers?

(I'm hoping that a weak first run doesn't mean a weak second run is likely. It would be great to hear that when the early run is weak the late run is generally stronger..)

Were all looking forward to a "stronger " Sept. run. So far pretty dismal unless your a PINK fisherman, then it's glory days.

We've put 4 fish in the boat in about 8 trips in august, all 4 on the same morning, in about 2 hours. Basically been dismal, including last evening. I know there are guys doing better than me, but thats fishing!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

The silver runs have just plain sucked all over south central this year. If I were a bettin' man, I would wager that the September run in the Kenai will be the same as all the others this year.

I went for a little spin this afternoon. Mostly to pump out the water in the boat. I kept an eye out for Silver action and didn't see much except as expected, lots of boats. This week should be the grand entrance of MR.& MRS. Silver.

Anyone see any silvers in the lower showing up lately?

I fished the lower this morning. Not a single hit in six hours. When I was heading in everyone looked to have their head in their hands. But did meet another forum member on the river, Roland. He didn't have any luck either. Then spoke with a guide on the dock, he was down. Said he has never seen such a slow second run.

Thanks, might have to go duck hunting instead!

Yep, I did meet MR. ORBILL. Nice man who had inquired about a Yamaha prop i have for sale. Now yesterday i got 2 silvers so I thought, here we go, there coming in. Same place today and only Pinks to show for effort.

guides told me today was the "WOMEN'S CLASSIC " Too bad it could'nt have been better fishing for the gals.

Well, read today's Outdoor coluum in the Clarion newspaper, writen by Mr. Les Palmer. He says you have to remain OPTIMISTIC. tHAT'S WHY i GO FISHING . I truly believe we will see good Silver fishing very soon.

I like your optimism! I'm still going to duck hunting!

At this point I'm glad we pushed our silver trip from late August to late September this year! I don't know if the run will ever materialize but it sounds like it has been pretty dismal so far...

The salt was good this year in Kodiak, but the rivers are real tuff going. Count on the Buskin this morning was only at 450 fish, last year it was roughly 2500 at this time. I'm hoping it's the lack of rain, rivers are real low, need lots of rain to at least push the stinky pinkies out.

Stinky pinkies!!!

Quote Originally Posted by abel View Post
    the salt was good this year in kodiak, but the rivers are real tuff going. Count on the buskin this morning was only at 450 fish, last year it was roughly 2500 at this time. I'm hoping it's the lack of rain, rivers are real low, need lots of rain to at least push the stinky pinkies out.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

the humpty dance! heres your chance....do the hump

Heard a CRAZY rumor that some silvers were being caught this week?.?.

That IS crazy, i'll "test" the rumor tomorrow and let you know what I think...

My brother & nephews from Lower 48 and I fished the Lower Kenai on Tuesday (charter) and got 1 silver between the five of us. We fished the Russian to the confluence on Thursday and got squat & only saw one caught. The visiting family heads home Sunday & will apparently go home nearly fishless -- can't find any silvers!! Dang it! We were gonna try Whittier but winds blowing too hard. Would try Kenai again tomorrow, but they're pretty fed up with fishing hard for hours on end without any action. Are there any silvers anywhere!?

Fred Meyers $8.99 lb

3 casts 2 nice chromers from bings yesterday, first run are getting red but second run is starting to trickle in. Gotta love that 10 minute limit

The limit on silvers went to three a day on the Kenai September 1, if I am not mistaken.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast