Thread: Rebarrel Pre-64 Model 70

Default Rebarrel Pre-64 Model 70

I have a Pre-64, 1959 by the numbers, that I inherited which is chambered as .230 LLF. The round was a wildcat made by a single gunshop in Eugene, OR decades ago. It is a .243 cartridge necked down to .230 with a 70 g. bullet. Not being able to find commercially available bullets I want to rebarrel it into something I can use here in Alaska.

Here is my question, if you had this gun what would you chamber it for, and what could I chamber it for? I already have a .338WM for big game.
    1997 21' Hewescraft River Runner

Quote Originally Posted by Grayling Slayer View Post
    Here is my question, if you had this gun what would you chamber it for, and what could I chamber it for? I already have a .338WM for big game.
    Anything based on a .308 case (2.85 OAL, .243, .260, 7mm-08, .308, .338 Federal, .358, etc.) is a simple barrel swap , but on that action with a little bit of work it can accommodate anything on the '06 case or the original short magnums (3.35 OAL, .264 WM, 7mm RM, 300 WM, etc.). A bit more work will allow any full length cartridge you'd like to use (3.65 OAL, .300 Wby, 375 H&H, .300 RUM, etc.). There are several guys on the forum that can help you out, but since you're in Fairbanks I'd recommend you get in touch with Doug Albright who posts on these forums as gunbugs. He'll not steer you wrong and I can vouch for the quality of his work.

As for what I'd chamber the rifle, I'd probably go with the '06 case and lean heavily towards either a 6.5/06 or 280 Remington and I'd almost certainly go AI, but that's me.
    Esse quam videri

This rifle is an inherited item and you intend hunt with it; GREAT ! Instead of a rebarrel which means you would need another barrel and a gunsmith to chamber ream, fit, headspace, and then reblue so that the entire rifle matches; This will get expensive.
    As an alternative, just have the current barrel on the rifle rechambered and rebored to your desired caliber by JES and the existing rifle will be returned to you as is except in a current modern caliber. Consult with JES to see what calibers it will rebore to. GOOD LUCK !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Re: Rebarrel Pre-64 Model 70

This gun will be much more valuable to me if I can shoot it. I have other rifles with more personal value.

This gun will be much more valuable to me if I can shoot it. I have other rifles with more personal value.
    Great old guns like this deserve to be in the woods, and as you say it'll have more value to you in the woods than in the safe. JES is your best bet.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Looks like the cost to have it bored is the same a blank barrel. I'm going to contact them and see what they could do. Reading up on the 6.5-06 is getting me a little excited. Seems this a popular round for 1,000 yard competition. The cost of the optics I would need would be nothing compared to the machine work.

I would go with a 6.5x284 if you need something different. Always use 140 gr bullets. Same performance as the '06 but more accurate and more efficient and there is factory available ammo and brass. JMO. Best wishes. J.

Default Used barrel

If you want to keep the cost down look around for used barrels. LOTS of pulls - some new - at very attractive prices at gun shows, gun broker etc. Big variety of calibers in both factory and custom barrels. Many owners are pulling their custom barrels to put their guns back to original configuration.

If the gun still has the original stock an original barrel would preserve more of the original value although the action alone is worth the price of many new factory rifles.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I need to find someone familiar with the pre-64's to see what the current value might be and what modification might do. Since it was modified before even being sold by LLF is that impacting the value already? Having a 1000 yard rifle with history would be worth spending some money on.

Any real value is long since gone with the wildcat cartridge chambering. Don't know about AK but in the lower 48 pre-64s that have been modified go for about $400.00 to $800.00. Easiest upgrade would be to find a .243 or .308 pre-64 barrel which would bring the barreled action back to almost original; you haven't mentioned any stock mods. You can sometimes find barrels on Ebay and Gunbroker.com. The pre-64 action is a one-size-fits-all action. Look in the mag box and you'll see a spacer at the rear of the box that sets cartridge length. By removing that spacer and changing the bolt stop/ejector (gunsmith operations here) you can make it a 30-06 length action. A gunsmith can also machine the rear bridge of the action, along with the proper ejector, and make it an H&H size action. Just depends on how much money you want to spend!!! In your situation, assuming I could find a pre-64 barrel, I would opt for a .308; works nicely on deer, black bears, caribou and even moose with heavier bullets. Next choice for me would be 30-06; usually lots of barrels available.

Agreed, collector value is gone if itís a wildcat. Iíd go ether 338 Federal or 358 Winchester, both 308 family like the 243 so an easy job and great Alaska rounds. I have both reamers in my tool box and barrel blanks for both on my rack and can help. Gunbugs or The Kid at Wild West are also good choices to fix ya up.

I need to find someone familiar with the pre-64's to see what the current value might be and what modification might do. Since it was modified before even being sold by LLF is that impacting the value already? Having a 1000 yard rifle with history would be worth spending some money on.
    It has no pre-64 collector value now, having been modified in such a way. It is a great action on which to build a rifle but that's about all. The best you could do is rebarrel with an older pre-64 barrel, they're out there, to an original pre-64 caliber. The 308 or 243 would either be a good choice. I find this this 230 LLF. It is based on the 243. If the rifle is very nicely done it may have some value if the gunsmith was a well known.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

One factor that was neglected is the status of the original stock. If the stock is original and uncut (no pad) it's worth at least $150 if its not too beat up. A new barrel would put it back into a very desirable status.

An orginal barrel for a '59 vintage rifle should be easy. I got lucky at a gun show and stumbled across an original 1936 heavy target barrel for my prewar M70 target rifle that had been re-barreled. I even picked up a M70 .300 Savage barrel on ebay before they stopped selling barrels.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I'll be the odd man out and say get some bullets made for it or turn or cast your own. Seems to me it's harder to find an interesting wildcat than the other way around. Seems like a disservice to undo what somebody schemed so long to create and make it back common like everything else. Sort of like taking a clark custom rifle and putting a stock barrel and components back on until your left with a wal-mart rifle... I would definately keep it as is or sale it and get what you want.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

I got the "rebore" done on my 308. Happy I did so, it was the cheapest, easiest route. And like Andy said, either the 338 federal or the 358 winchester will be an excellent hunting rifle/cartridge combo. Much as a like deer bullets, bear bullets are better. Those start at 338 caliber IMO.

matnaggewinu

You could also contact Lee Reloading and have a custom set of dies made for the current calber and roll your own ammo for it if you reload. You could use it as a predator rifle in that caliber. ALOT cheaper than any of the other work you will need.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I got the "rebore" done on my 308. Happy I did so, it was the cheapest, easiest route. And like Andy said, either the 338 federal or the 358 winchester will be an excellent hunting rifle/cartridge combo. Much as a like deer bullets, bear bullets are better. Those start at 338 caliber IMO.
    Assuming there is enough meat left in the chamber aria to not just end up with a different caliber wildcat. I donít think JES is any cheaper than I could re-pipe it for but that does keep the original barrel (if it is the original) profile and Winchester rollstamp.

Quote Originally Posted by sniper3083006 View Post
    You could also contact Lee Reloading and have a custom set of dies made for the current calber and roll your own ammo for it if you reload. You could use it as a predator rifle in that caliber. ALOT cheaper than any of the other work you will need.
    Well what ya gonna do for .230Ē varmint bullets? Could get a mold and shoot cast but 23 caliber cast . . . at low velocity in a high velocity gun? Why would you??? Could send your cast out for plating so you could shoot it like it was intended but there goes your LOTT cheaper right out the window and then some. At the end of the day you'd still have a gun in a chambering nobody will ever want so has very little value.

Itís a wildcat in an odd caliber that never took off leavening it unsupported. Itís not unique enough to hold any value that makes it worth keeping, sell it and any buyer is only going to buy it as an action to build on. So ether he makes it something usable or someone buys it and makes it something usable. It is what it is, a great pre-64 Model 70 builder.

Just have somebody turn down .243 "solids" like Barnes TSX. Actually their are a lot of "solids" being used for hunting these days that could be made to accommodate without much fuss. If you want cheap and easy and mass market just go to your local dime a doughnut place. Hate to see it emasculated.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.