Thread: Rebarrel 788 Rem. in .308 to 7mm/08

Default Rebarrel 788 Rem. in .308 to 7mm/08

I have a 788 that I would like to rebarrel to 7mm/08. Does anyone know of someone over Anchorage way that might be able to do that. It should be pretty simple. .308 case to 308 .case round.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I would find the barrel that you want, like an ER Shaw. Then any competent gunsmith should be able to do that, including the ones listed that sponsor this forum or the AK Shooting forum.

I wouldn't say a 788 is a valuable antique. But I would say they are becoming such. I'm thinking you can buy 788s in 7mm-08. Might not cost any more than a rebarrel job.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Probably not many built in 7mm-08
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I also have a 788 Rem.(.30-30). When looking for a take off barrel, I noticed that you could only buy barreled actions. I did talk to the folks at Numrich, as to why. They explained to me that the threads on the 788 Rem., are a very fine thread, and more often then not, when attempting to remove barrels, these threads would strip, there for, they would not remove the barrels from the actions!
    Twink

788 has a 1-20 thread (1” diameter 20 pitch, 20 threads pre inch) and isn’t overlay fine at all. The thread is just over 1.5 inch long with a clearance relief in the middle for the action screw. I see no mechanical reason Numrich wouldn’t pull them so it’s likely something financial.

Got one in 308, 243 or whatever 308 parent case round and want it in another 308W caliber just give me a holler as it’s not a big deal and not all that expensive if you go button rifled. I’d suggest 338 Federal as a real good way to go but 7mm08 isn‘t bad ether. But I can get good buttoned chrome molly .338 10 twist blanks real cheap now and 337 Federal is a dang good Alaska round.

One in 30-30 could be other 30-30 based calibers but bet the action is shorter than the 308. Anyway a 30-30 bolt rifle is such a gem to have I'd advise not to mess with a very kool thing.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Member twinkletoes has one in.30-30 and swears by it. I've never seen a bolt gun chambered in that round but would love to try one.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion8 View Post
    Member twinkletoes has one in.30-30 and swears by it. I've never seen a bolt gun chambered in that round but would love to try one.
    Oh they turn that ole sleepy 30-30 case (and I love 30-30 anyway) into something else altogether. You can hot rod the heck out of it and use pointy bullets that fly well, all at once its nothing like it was in the good ole model 94.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I have a Contender barrel in 30/30. It is something else with handloads. Accuracy, fantastic.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Oh they turn that ole sleepy 30-30 case (and I love 30-30 anyway) into something else altogether. You can hot rod the heck out of it and use pointy bullets that fly well, all at once its nothing like it was in the good ole model 94.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I have a Contender barrel in 30/30. It is something else with handloads. Accuracy, fantastic.
    You guys are %$#@!^%$'ing me! Now there's another "wanna have" on my list!!!

I grew up shooting a 788 in 7-08. My brother has it now for his daughters. Fantastically accurate for a little short 18" barrel.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I do indeed like my 788 Rem., .30-30. With RN bullets, were I had no problem setting the bullet out to get the free bore I prefer, accuracy was no problem. However, I did want to shoot my favorite sptizer, 165 gr. Sierra GK in the gun. There, the problem began. The clip would not allow me to set the bullet out far enuff to get the free bore I like. The closest I could get was .037". However, with a bitta expermenting and tweeking of my loads, I was able to come up with a very accurate load with that bullet. It will shoot under a in. all day long!
    Twink