Thread: Where are all the moose?

Default Where are all the moose?

Haven't seen a moose in Anchorage since June. Not even tracks on my grass. Usually we have a couple of cows with calfs in the neighborhood all summer and a few bulls. Nothing. Haven't even seen any in the usual spots downtown.

Not much bear activity either. One small blackie nosing around, but that's it. Zero bunnies. Haven't seen a bunny since last summer.

Of course if I really wanted to see some bears I could go a little ways south from town with some bacon around my neck - they had a fair amount of activity down near McHugh and Bird Creek earlier.

This guy was down in the Coastal Refuge
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Drove home last week and there was a bull with about 40 inch antlers standing on the side of 100th. i was a little surprised since I haven't ween as many as usual either.

Finally saw a small bull two days ago - in a usual spot for moose on our road. He wasn't happy when I pulled over to take a look - he was acting like cows were the only thing on his mind and my truck was pretty annoying. But, he is the first and only since the end of May. I'll post a couple pictures later, but I did find some grizzly tracks in the fresh snow 3 days ago when I went for the morning paper.

Nice shot of the bull in the Refuge. I usually glass the Refuge and see them this time of year. Now I'll keep looking!

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    Haven't seen a moose in Anchorage since June. Not even tracks on my grass. Usually we have a couple of cows with calfs in the neighborhood all summer and a few bulls. Nothing. Haven't even seen any in the usual spots downtown.

Not much bear activity either. One small blackie nosing around, but that's it. Zero bunnies. Haven't seen a bunny since last summer.

Of course if I really wanted to see some bears I could go a little ways south from town with some bacon around my neck - they had a fair amount of activity down near McHugh and Bird Creek earlier.
    I heard they all headed out to other places on Nov 7.. No clue as to the reason and date relationship!!? ;-)

On 3 November at around 6 PM, I saw 2 Bulls and a cow right behind the The Cattle Company (Stewart Andersons). Both bulls were way over 60 inches and looking good.