Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did you do on the Steese 40 mile opener?

Default How did you do on the Steese 40 mile opener?

Did anyone go out into the hoards and hunt bou for the 24hr opener? Was it crazy as usual? Were the caribou near 12 mile summit or Circle?

Steve

Must have been slow and there still out, or good and everyone's cuttin on meat right now.

Had a co worker hunt it he said they jumped the gun AGAIN on the early zone 1 EO like they did year before last and will be probably be playing the open close limbo all season again until they dont meet the quota like last time. Oh no its going to be a blood bath then no Bou around. Oh well

Went up and just sat on top of Eagle Summit. The Road hunters are a hoot to watch. One small group(4) caribou kept running across the road in front of the trucks. Every time they'd hit the brakes, hop out with rifles only to notice the tiny horned bou were cows. I saw a total of 20 caribou including the small bull I took, which walked up to us. 85 trucks went over the summit and 53 hunters on the ridge tops from where we sat. This used to be a nice hunt to go on, not anymore.

Default 40 Mile Success

Well there was a lot of hunters but where I was there was even more Caribou. I must have saw right around 120 Caribou yesterday and I took a nice Meat bull.2012 Caribou.JPG

We saw a small group of about 6 with one medium bull but didn't get a shot. Then we saw another small group of cows/calves. That was it for 'bou. Saw about 50 hunters in our area. Reminds me of combat fishing but I don't blame the other hunters.
    Based on our hunt, F & G panicked and closed it too soon. Again.

Entertaining watching the trooper helo flying around and repeatedly landing on the ridge. I assume they were checking permits.

Had a buddy go up. He got a nice bull. Said there were tons of people, and plenty of caribou. He said shots were going off like crazy, and people were flying all over the place on quads. He was checked by a trooper up there, and when he asked how the trooper was doing, the trooper responded (in so many words), "pretty good, always fun to work this cluster." Basically the typical Steese 40 mile hunt. I wish they would just make this a permit hunt, so it could actually return to a nice hunt, instead of a race with the next guy. These type of "hunts" have a bad reputation, and look bad as well. I love the Steese country, and respect others right to hunt, but F&G should really look at how this hunt is conducted. Again this was all passed on from a friend. I was not up there.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Me and a buddy went to the "Southern" portion of area 1. There was a total of 6 hunters there including us. Five of us tagged out the 6th guy was trying to tag out with his bow. We were meat hunting but had we been trophy hunting we'd have tagged out as well.

Me and my dad went 13 miles up the circle Fairbanks trail . There were around 20 other hunters and a lot more caribou. I passed on a few smaller bulls and ended up this guy.

Glad some of you had a decent experience. Jordan, I have 10 acres staked 13 miles out the trail you went, you probably shot that bou right near my land. See any orange paint? Congrats on a nice bull.

I saw every truck that drove through Tok today with a caribou in it. And there were a lot of trucks! The Taylor Highway hunters must have scored very well. Caribou must have reversed path's and made a come back through.

good looking bull, and beautiful country. Congrats!!
    Paul

Steve, no I didn't see any orange paint. Didn't hang around out that far for too long tho, too many people. I got mine about mile 10 or so

Seems Alaska needs more industry here so we can get more hunters.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

My buddy and I each got nice bulls.Attachment 62937Attachment 62938

Quote Originally Posted by 165grain View Post
    My buddy and I each got nice bulls.Attachment 62937Attachment 62938
    Pictures didn't seem to come thru...I'll try this again.

Attachment 62939Attachment 62940

Quote Originally Posted by 165grain View Post
    Pictures didn't seem to come thru...I'll try this again.

Attachment 62939Attachment 62940
    It doesn't seem to like your attachments, Matt.

From what we saw I'd be surprised if they got 225 off the Steese like they predicted. There were a ton of people on the road, but we didn't see anybody else where we hunted. Lots of empty trucks were headed back to Fairbanks late in the day.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tons of people & we were watching folks drive & walk right past Caribou bulls.

My Wife & Son got 2 Very nice bulls.

Lots of fun.

RJ Simingtn

Jordanktm125,
    Congrats on your successful hunt!! I sent you an email if you get a chance to respond to it.. Take care and GREAT BULL.
    Ken

if so it looks like u got mines twin.
    60% of men don't know what they have until they lose it
    15% aren't sure but figure it's better than nothing
    25% know exactly what they have and would do anything to lose it or give it to someone else

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast