Thread: Gatorade for dogs

Default Gatorade for dogs

Just wanted to get an idea of what you guys think of this: http://www.rehydratetabs.com/products.php It looks to me to be a Gatorade-type drink for dogs. You drop a tablet into a nalgene then put it in your dog's water bowl. They use the same "electrolyte replenishing" advertising claims that Gatorade does.

I've never bought into the Gatorade ad claims, always preferring water to a sport drink, but I'm thinking this might get my dog to drink more, and thus hydrate more. (Just because of the taste.) For that matter, I could just give him Gatorade.

I ask because when we're out training, even after running 20 mins or so chasing bumpers, he will only drink 4-6 ozs. Sometimes I cheat and put 8-10 pieces of kibble in the bowl, and then he'll drink all of the water in there. Today, after a half-mile walk, 20 mins of chasing bumpers, and another half-mile walk, he drank only about 6-12 ozs., and that's a pattern with him. (He's a 7 yr old lab by the way.)

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Just wanted to get an idea of what you guys think of this: http://www.rehydratetabs.com/products.php It looks to me to be a Gatorade-type drink for dogs. You drop a tablet into a nalgene then put it in your dog's water bowl. They use the same "electrolyte replenishing" advertising claims that Gatorade does.

I've never bought into the Gatorade ad claims, always preferring water to a sport drink, but I'm thinking this might get my dog to drink more, and thus hydrate more. (Just because of the taste.) For that matter, I could just give him Gatorade.

I ask because when we're out training, even after running 20 mins or so chasing bumpers, he will only drink 4-6 ozs. Sometimes I cheat and put 8-10 pieces of kibble in the bowl, and then he'll drink all of the water in there. Today, after a half-mile walk, 20 mins of chasing bumpers, and another half-mile walk, he drank only about 6-12 ozs., and that's a pattern with him. (He's a 7 yr old lab by the way.)
    I don't know about the tablets, but I was always under the impression that Gatorade was not very good for our furry friends. Bd for their kidneys or something like that. I'm sure someone out there knows far more than I do. From everything I have read, I'll avoid giving my pup gaterade. If a dog is thirsty, it will drink.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    Bd for their kidneys or something like that.
    I didn't know that. (That's why I don't go willy nilly giving things to the dog without checking with our vet first.)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    If a dog is thirsty, it will drink.
    That's what I've been going on for the year I've had him, but it just seems to me he should drink more when active. Maybe it's a weight to fluid intake ratio that I'm not taking into account or something.

No Gatorade. And in the opinion of all the experts advice I've either read or been told, you don't need that stuff. Just water when they want/need it. I carry two large bottles of water in my WingWorks vest to keep my dogs well hydrated.

On the other wing...if a fellow works a dog hard during a day of hunting, and plans on hunting that dog another day or two, it pays great dividends if you mix some maltodextrin in with a bowl of water within 30 minutes of the end of the day's hunting. I use Glycocharge, available at Cold Spot Feeds in Fairbanks.

Jim

I have used the hydrate tabs, they seem to work well. never had a negitive result of using them, I have 2 labs. I use electrolites for myself to keep from getting cramps. I think the tabs do the same for the hard working dogs. They seem to like the taste, drink enough water to be of benefit.

For whatever it's worth, what Jim is recommending is considered best practices dog care for sprint dog mushing (the dog care issues for distance teams are different). Note that it's a carbohydrate replenisher, not an electrolyte replacement (dogs don't sweat the way we do) and is regarded as an excellent way to prepare a tired dog for tomorrow's work. I think the workload in sprint mushing is pretty similar to the workload for field dogs. If you're interested in this stuff, do a web search on "Arleigh Reynolds" together with "carbohydrates".

Yep, got most of my scoop on this stuff from Dr. Arleigh Reynolds! If it works for sled dogs, it certainly works for our hunting dogs. Works for mine. :-)

Jim

I use it as well. Seems to work.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Hoyt,

We were talking about using it in the dog's water, not your own. :-)