Thread: Installing magazine plug in vintage Model 12

Default Installing magazine plug in vintage Model 12

Admittedly at almost the last possible second, I've just realized that a.) the 3 shell limit on waterfowl hunting applies to pumps as well as autoloaders, and b.) my Dad's old Model 12 Heavy Duck gun does not have a plug in it, and it holds 5 each 3" shells, and c. season opens in 3 days. Talk about lack of preparation on my part. ugh.

As I understand it, and from looking at the gun, there is a small machine screw (fat tip) near the end of the magazine tube that must be removed, and there is a push pin just below the screw that must also be removed, while holding back the spring tension with the other hand, to access the magazine tube. I should then be able to decompress the spring, drop in a dowel rod and then recompress the spring and reassemble it all in reverse order. Does this sound correct? Am I overlooking something?

In regards to the dowel rod, I figure to use a wooden dowel from Michael's or some place and cut it to 9", which is just about the length of 3 each 3" shells. Any idea on what diameter rod I should use?

Lastly, is there anybody in town (Anchorage) who is good with old Winchesters and might be able to either a.) do this for me, or b.) bail me out if I butcher it? before Friday?

Thanks.

Usually dropping a standard Bic pen in from the barrel end of your magazine will do the trick. I don't know exactly how that shotgun works, but once you remove whatever is on the end of it, you'll have a spring and sometimes a cap that faces the end that you put shells in. All you have to do is put anything in there, it could be 1/4" diameter as long as it doesn't bend, and as long as it's the right LENGTH, it'll serve the purpose. I used to carry a pack of Bic pens in my blind bag for that very purpose. Usually, but I'm sure it isn't the case with every gun, but usually the pen fell between the lengths necessary to plug a gun that cycled 3" shells and 3 1/2" shells.

***NOTE - when you open the screw that holds the spring in, keep your hand over the hole or you may lose your spring forever. There's a slough in SoDak that has a spring from one of my pump guns from 2007 because I wasn't paying attention and the spring migrated south.

Depress the spring on the takedown pin and slip it out of the hole. Then remove the two small screws that hold the magazine cap in place. Pay attention to how the parts come off the gun and how they are oriented to each other. They have to go back facing the same direction. If your gun is Full choke, don't shoot steel through it.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Many thanks to forum member rbuck. Went out to his place this afternoon and he schooled me on shotgun plug making and installing 101. Plus, he gave me a cooler full of decoys and some bird calls. Awesome!