Thread: Kids fishing from shore

Default Kids fishing from shore

I am taking my family to Seward for Labor Day. Will be our first time. Can the kids catch rock fish or anything from shore if the silvers dont show up? They LOVE fishing, and I want them to catch some. Any advise would be appreciated. ALOT?

Quote Originally Posted by outrider View Post
    I am taking my family to Seward for Labor Day. Will be our first time. Can the kids catch rock fish or anything from shore if the silvers dont show up? They LOVE fishing, and I want them to catch some. Any advise would be appreciated. ALOT?
    Fished the Seward area from shore a few months ago. I fished from the rocks along Lowell Point Rd. (west side of the bay) there are a few areas along the road you can park your vehicle. I did not catch a thing, but that probably had a lot to do with my bait selection. It's worth a shot I guess. Good luck

How old are your kids? Like MN2AK said, the rocks on Lowell Pt Rd is a good start. Use herring under a slip float. Do NOT use those stupid round red and white bobbers. Too much resistance. Timing has to be perfect to get a good hook set most of the time. Get the herring to lay horizontal and set you slip bobber to 4 to 10 ft down. Add enough weight that it is balanced and so that when the fish takes the bait, the bobber can sink without too much resistance. You don't have to cast very far at all. There are also tons of small rockfish along there but my experience is that you'll snag up every third or fourth cast so I wouldn't recommend it. If you use the slip bobber you could set it for 30ft or more deep and try it that way but its not easy.
    The picture is from a few years back.
    seward9200b.JPG

Last week, I did see a few silvers landed at Miller's landing at the end of Lowell Pt Road from shore. You should know pretty quickly if they are there or not by the jumpers.

If you are just looking for anything that bites, we caught decent sized starry flounder off the docks. Just walk out and small herring and sinker or a jig with something like a gulp minnow should yield some action. The picture is from a month ago.

photo.jpg