Thread: Generator Shed

Default Generator Shed

What are some ideas for venting a generator shed?

I'm thinking of running the generator exhaust vent high on the wall and away from the roof eves.

Would you place vents on surrounding walls low or high?

Also, anyone use any basic fire protection methods (durarock or tile) around generator area?

Thanks in advance!

Gene.bmp

Boone , If I remember you built you outhouse and gen she into the same building. If so you could use some of the heat from the gen to heat the outhouse. If you have space around the gen set you should not have to fireproof things.

I had to build a gen shed at my work place. It's a large gen for a machine shop. I installed two vents. Installed a fan w/ louvers in one vent and just louvers on the other. The vents were up near the ceiling. The fan operates on a cooling thermostat.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Depends on how your cooling for the generator is. Not knowing I was concerned that my fan on my Northern Lights generator was blowing from the engine side to the radiator not the other way like a car. I called and they said it is designed that way to blow out any fumes that might occur in the building so the fent for that should be straight out the radiator...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bend View Post
    Boone , If I remember you built you outhouse and gen she into the same building. If so you could use some of the heat from the gen to heat the outhouse. If you have space around the gen set you should not have to fireproof things.
    Good memory. Yes, I'd like to use the heat generated by the generator to help heat the structure. I have a vented propane heater to supplement.

What are your thoughts on noise vs. airflow? Don't want too much noise in the outhouse side but also want heat from the generator side. If I had to choose between the two I choose quiet.

AK Diesel Electric has flex pipe adaptors for running the exhaust from a Northern Lights generator into iron pipe and out the wall. Mine's done that way. The exit through the exterior wall is just below the top plate and the pipe hangs from the truss. The outlet itself is a piece of sheet metal with a hole drilled to allow the black pipe to exit without touching wood. For the smaller gasoline unit I adapted the same idea by making a clamp-on fitting to capture the exhaust outlet and ran it up and out. My generators can run 24/7 if they need to without any fumes entering the gen shed. I have a typical lumberyard gable louver vent cut in front of the diesel gennie's radiator to let warm air out but the room still gets quite warm. I could vent the heat into the adjacent outhouse but then I'd have more smells and frost from condensation. Better to leave the outhouse at ambient.

No drywall or durock in my shed, just about 12" of clearance between generators and wall. 20 years with this shed, no problems.