Thread: Log jam on Chena River

Default Log jam on Chena River

Does anyone have any information on if or where the log jam is up from the Moose Creek dam? I'm going to be rafting from 44 mile to Chena Lakes and heard that the log jam was still there earlier this summer.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

The logjam used to start behind Pleasant valley, but the river cut through the north bank 2 years ago and cut a new channel in the slough. I run my 21' fish rite up through there and it can get fun. Personnally I would float a raft or canoe through that section even if it had my mother in law in them. The water is running so fast that it pushes up on the outside of the corners about 12". The channel is art narrow and for about 2.5 miles there is on switchback after another your bet and safest option is to put in at grange hall road. From there you only have 2logjams to navigate and they are pretty easy. The bigest hazard on the float would be the bundred or so widowmakers that are always present on the upper chena. It would be well worth your while to take the boat trip upstream from chena lakes some afternoon its about 20 miles one way and will let you see what you will have to deal with on a float trip.

Default Re: Log jam on Chena River

Thanks for the info.

It appears that the Google map is fairly up to date then. I've spent plenty of time on the upper river from the last bridge down to Rosehip, but never tried the middle section yet.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

The north channel is the main channel now the other channel still has a logjam.

Is it navigable? I will be in a Pro Pioneer raft with oars. It is very maneuverable if there is room to get around the trees and stay off the corners.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

I run through there a couple times a year in my 23' Wooldridge inboard, so you should be ok...

It is navigatable. But i would still take the boat trip up there to look at it.

There were some pretty tight corners on the new channel. Had to walk the raft over one corner with a sweeper all the way across. Looks like the boats had been driving over it.

The old channel was full of spawning salmon that were blocked by the log jam. The banks were covered in half eaten fish with bear signs everywhere.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"