Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fairbanks butcher, taxidermist & Dry Ice or Delta Junction

Default Fairbanks butcher, taxidermist & Dry Ice or Delta Junction

I have a few reccomended names already and I searched the archives but all I found was old info.

I would like to know who you reccomend for:

1. Taxidermy and Expediting (I may need a hide caped and mybe horns shipped)

2. Butcher (important they can freeze a cape for me too)

3. Where o get dry ice

All in Fairbanks (or Delta Junction I fly out of bush to Delta Junction but then head to Fairbanks for flgiht home).

FYI, dry ice is worthless, dangerous and expensive. Try to get some of your stuff at least partially frozen. Look up RJ Simington for all your taxidermy needs and he will have tips for you on the rest. 877-281-0936

Delta Meats for your processing.

Another vote from me for Delta Meats...

For purchasing dry ice.....Call Arctic Fire and Safety at 452-7806. They can make as little or as much as you need. They do prefer if you call ahead so they have some lead time to get the ice made for you or at least have the machine ready to go so that can make it as soon as you get to the shop. Really nice folks there.

I tried to do business with Delta Meats, but it just didn't work out. The very nice lady I spoke with advised me that they all but stopped taking in boned-out bags of meat. They want it on the bone, as it requires less sorting, cleaning and guesswork to cut properly. Secondly, Delta doesn't do short-notice cut and freeze. The turnaround time is going to be several days to a week+. In my case the raw meat would have to get from Fairbanks to Delta Junction...over 100 miles...and back before I fly home. Impossible; not to mention the issues of transportation and keeping it frozen the whole time. For me to use Delta, I would have to have them ship my meat next-day air to Ohio. Big money. I believe Delta is the best going, but the situation I hunt in rules them out.

I use Interior Fish Processors in Fairbanks to butcher my meat, wrap, freeze and box for travel. Ask for Harold....easy enough to talk with. We take home several hundred pounds of frozen moose meat each year on our commercial flight. The cost is far less than what shipping it later would be. Advance planning is the key.

As others have stated, Delta Meats for processing

Kevin Hickman from Precision Taxidermy in Fairbanks. I wouldnt take my hide or horns anywhere else.

Thanks Delta meats is in Anchorage right? To much trouble to get it there FYI. I have used dry ice and love it, in the right situation. In cold but not frozen meat it freezes SOLID meat close to it, freezer burns really close meat. I wrap dry ice in paper to help, you can only take 5# per cooler on plane.

It has its place, it will keep stuff cold really well. My issue is a hide, stick a moose hide in a 0 degree cooler for 2 weeks folded and center is rotten etc. VERY hard to cool a cape to 33 degrees, then fold then freeze BUT fold cape with dry ice in center and put in freezer and bingo. I imagine coming out with a cool cape, no ride, limited time, dead tired tying to flessh and salt a moose cape in hotel room. NOT FUN. Scrape cape within reason cool then fold around cry ice and freeze (or get partially frozen) for place ride home then straight to taxidermist and all should be okay - by far my best option without ayinf $$$$ for taxi to prep and ship.

Quote Originally Posted by DonV View Post
    Thanks Delta meats is in Anchorage right?
    No. Delta Junction.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Delta Meats is in Delta Junction where you are flying in and out of.

Assuming the best...

What's your plan for dealing with antlers, capes, and the meat from both...a big caribou and a bull moose? Getting it home?

For transporting your game and antlers back to the states, you might look into this guy: http://alaskameatexpress.com/ He advertises on the forums here and from what I have heard from others, he does an outstanding job. He has a Reefer trailer so he can keep everything temperature controlled.

Taxidermist in Delta Junction
    Ross Baker 895-4178

Almonst every Carrs/Safeway store in Fairbanks sells dry ice or at least they did last time I looked up there. All the Anchorage stores have it. I'm a little confused here. Are you driving back to Ohio or flying? Eferytime my brother from Ohio comnes up, he takes meat back as checked baggage, usually not completely frozen, in the 50 pound fish boxes iwth gel-ice with no problem. He has not taken a cape hope so I can't comment on that.

Bill S. I was wondering the same thing. All of us keep our capes and hides in the field for days at a time if not longer with no refrigeration or freezing and they come out fine so I didn't understand the need for dry ice. But thats just me.

Good thanks guys! Delta meats DOPE I had read elsewhere here about them in Achorage (I thought) never occured to me Delta Junction.

I have contacted antler express, last contact his plan was to leave Fairbanks well before I get out on 26th - I will check right before I leave - plus closest he gets is 3-5 hours away from me and I need to be there that day. I would use him, for sure, if it works out. Good deal.

Kevin D, ideally all excess baggage. Meat a lot is donated. I drew a moose tag in Vermont too - great one - eithere sex very likely I tag out there so TONS of meat for me (and NM elk and OH deer). I have been debating this - a lot. 2 carry on bags with most of gear, leave some behind with a friend as a gift. Rifle case gets rest. bou hide froze in dry bag (leakage) bou horns split and packed (myself - PAIN with no ride, go to store, buy tools/material, go to hotel, build ouch!) bou and moose horns together if at all possible. bou meat take 70# home (in cooler I buy or dry bag - prefrozen meat, toss in some gear to hit 99#) extra overweight bag. Moose meat same 1 extra overweight bag.

AK airlines is 4 or more) bags (rifle, bou meat, moose meat, moose cape, horns) hopefully bou cape in carry on?

I figure I will need, at most:
    a. Carry on bag with gear
    b. Carry on bag with gear

1. Check bag (rifle)
    2. checked bag (gear)
    3. Checked bag, overweight bou meat
    4. checked bag, overweight moose meat
    (note may combined about 2 into one and take less meat home)
    5. moose cape
    6. bou cape
    7. moose horns
    8. bou horns

This is worst case, likely if needed I can:
    1. take only 1 bag of meat home
    2. combine horns (if no heavy ship as cargo)
    3. combine capes (or cape/horns bou)
    4. eliminate 2nd checked bag of gear and combine with carry ons, rifle, horns/cape/meat bags.

Complicated, I have been sweathing this for a while. I think a key idea I got was dry bags, then, to get out of site, put them in a cheap duffel I buy.

Luckily I also have 2 friends flying the exact same flight home who will be moose only hunting, bow DIY and only shooting a decent mose (20b). In other words it is highly unlikely all 3 of us get a moose, thus if I score one of them can take some of my gear.

I took my caribou to Interior alaska fish processors. they did a great job and have a really good turn around (4 days)

You have a different and distinct vision for meat and game transport than I'm familiar. Perhaps your post is meant to rile some of us up a bit, so with that perspective in mind, I guess I'm afraid that some newbie to Alaska would use the report as an example of how to take care of their game.

To me, the posts over the past year & report summary is a bit antagonizing as it seems to suggest that it is alright to place emphasis on rushing these crucial processes of game storage and care with the appearance that it would not inconvenience your pocket book, schedule, or a one nights stay in Fairbanks. Thanks for acknowledging the risks to the racks, hide quality, and the transport of unfrozen meats. One can only imagine the meats quality if these unfrozen meats carried in the dry bags are the result of tagging out early? Additionally, the plan does not seem to have any provision for delays due to weather, or a real consideration for your friends success.

I'm sure there is more to your story than described above, and you certainly don't need to itemize your plans on the forum. But from the tones, it seems that you're not too concerned with meat care as you will try your best for the conditions that you've established, and if it doesn't work out ... you will still have all that tasty VT moose, NM elk, and OH deer to fall back on.

Really? I get my meat out in way better shape then most. I guess a dry bag is not nearly as sanitary as the beat up cheap game bags I see being used by most, or the dirt off the ground I see all over most guys meat! Dry bag = no blood = airlines letting me take it on!

My pocket book is deeper then most, that said if I wanted to pay for a moose I would hire a $20k guide. If I wanted one hunt I would take my time in AK, I am hunting all over many times and, DIY, there is no way to meet your standards and pull it off!

Are you aware of aging meat??????

Lets hear YOUR conditions for meat! My guess (only way to top me is):

1. Shoot it from your garage (cow moose) right by butcher, have him gut and age it in his cooler, spend 7 days processing it, then bring it to yuor house and cook it with some wine!

Have you EVER hunted out of state, solo and planned for something like this???????????????

How is cooling meat to proper temp (to age) then bringing home in a sanitary clean environment better then, well, your plan????

Maybe I forgot to mention I was going to cut the bulls balls off, mix it with some stomach contents and wipe at all over all pieces of meat before I cook it well done it a broth made from rutting caribou piss!

Seriously who is going to wait in Fairbanks for a week to take home meat they cannot possibly eat (to much) instead of donating it to the unfortunate who need it a lot more then me!

Are you aware that unforzen meat tastes FAR better then frozen? Are you aware I am planning a HUGE cookout when I get home and hope to bring home at least 50# of unfrozen moose for everyone to eat?

I will happily debate meat care with you, I know temps, how to age, what makes meat better, wild etc - all day long.

Thanks!

PS I get the feeling by your post you have a beef with me, I am not sure why, if I have offended you I am sorry, please PM me and I will give you my personal cell phone (that my 100 tenants do not have) and we can work it out. If I have offended you I am very sorry. I give my word I will work much harder then most to be honest, work hard, and enjoy my hunt, give the game its proper respect, treat my trophy (even if it is a 1-1/2 year old bull) with respect, do everything in my power, both before, and after, the hunt to assure that the meat is in the best shape possible, and obey all laws, legal and ethical, and hold myself to higher standard then my piers. This is why my user name IS my name.

If you know all these things, then why do you continue to ask all of these questions and then challenge the opinions given?

From the posts, I see many people that want to help you and wish you success (myself included). And then the combative tone erupts ... and I can only think to myself that if you don't appreciate the free advice and help ... then not sure what more really needs to be done.

Good thing if I ever hunt the lower 48 I can freeze an animal whole and stuff it in a 150qt igloo.

Totally un-complicates things.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast