Thread: Very strange taxidermy request (its for my daughters)

Default Very strange taxidermy request (its for my daughters)

So my 2 girls are obsessed with unicorns (I dont even know if obsessed is the word for it). And have been pestering me for more unicorn stuff for their room.. So I was thinking today how neat it would be to have a "mount" done (shoulder) but not sure how to go about aquiring said items to create it. I am sure the PETA people would have a field day with this but does anyone know where to find a horse head (white) I am not looking to kill a horse (please dont laugh too much fellas). but if there is a way to find horse hides that would be a start. I was thinking for the horn I could have a tusk carved.. this plan will take about a year or so to work out but if it makes my girls happy that is all that matters.

So please if you have any ideas on this shoot em up. if anything at least someone will get a laugh out of this (I know I am but at the same time I think it would be pretty neat for the girls to have this).

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Quote Originally Posted by NhraFox View Post
    So my 2 girls are obsessed with unicorns (I dont even know if obsessed is the word for it). And have been pestering me for more unicorn stuff for their room.. So I was thinking today how neat it would be to have a "mount" done (shoulder) but not sure how to go about aquiring said items to create it. I am sure the PETA people would have a field day with this but does anyone know where to find a horse head (white) I am not looking to kill a horse (please dont laugh too much fellas). but if there is a way to find horse hides that would be a start. I was thinking for the horn I could have a tusk carved.. this plan will take about a year or so to work out but if it makes my girls happy that is all that matters.

So please if you have any ideas on this shoot em up. if anything at least someone will get a laugh out of this (I know I am but at the same time I think it would be pretty neat for the girls to have this).

I think Wyoming still has their unicorn season open, you just have to draw as a non-resident, that'd be where I started!

Attachment 62892

kind of the idea I am looking at here

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    I think Wyoming still has their unicorn season open, you just have to draw as a non-resident, that'd be where I started!
    haha I figured I would take one when we go do that moose hunt DucksAndDogs

Default Re: Very strange taxidermy request (its for my daughters)

I have actually seen this done and it turned out kinda cool.. The white Horse was an old horse that was put down and used as dog food for a musher. If you are looking for a horse you can start trying to call dog mushers and let them know what you are looking for. People will bring their old horses to them to put down for dog food. I don't know if you can bleach a darker colored horse.
    The horn had come from a norwhal (spelling may be wrong) its the whale with the horn. That was really cool because that Horn had the spiral like a unicorn on tv does. But I have no idea where he got it.
    Goodluck

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

ok thank you for the heads up I guess its time to put a list up on craigslist I am pretty sure the hide could be bleached have seen it done with repairing polar bears with brown bear fur. I will have to do some research on the horn though

Ohh the things Daddy's will do for their daughters....

Can't say that I blame ya one bit
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

you have to admit once they grow out of the whole thing it would be a neat addition to the man cave

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    I have actually seen this done and it turned out kinda cool.. The white Horse was an old horse that was put down and used as dog food for a musher. If you are looking for a horse you can start trying to call dog mushers and let them know what you are looking for. People will bring their old horses to them to put down for dog food. I don't know if you can bleach a darker colored horse.
    The horn had come from a norwhal (spelling may be wrong) its the whale with the horn. That was really cool because that Horn had the spiral like a unicorn on tv does. But I have no idea where he got it.
    Goodluck

Well I did some research on the Narwhal tusks (they run around 15-20,000 for a full tusk) so I will be looking into hand carved or artificial for sure

Quote Originally Posted by NhraFox View Post
    Well I did some research on the Narwhal tusks (they run around 15-20,000 for a full tusk) so I will be looking into hand carved or artificial for sure

C'mon, it's for your daughters!! You should just ask them now if they want a car when they turn 16, college paid for, their wedding paid for, or a Narwhal tusk on their unicorn mount. Then, when they turn 16, go to college, or get married, make sure to remind them that they made the choice!

haha well played

You may want to post your original question here in the "Wanted" section: http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php

It's a taxidermists' forum, but be ready for some sarcasm as they can be a tough group on each other at times :-).

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf1 View Post
    You may want to post your original question here in the "Wanted" section: http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php

It's a taxidermists' forum, but be ready for some sarcasm as they can be a tough group on each other at times :-).
    but those same guys make jack-a-lopes, so they have no room to complain too much.

You can buy replica narwhal tusks - link thingy - for not too much money.

edit - PSA - when looking at that link thingy do click on their taxidermy page. Swamp Yeti and southern sasquatch examples are shown. do not drink while viewing.

Default Re: Very strange taxidermy request (its for my daughters)

Swamp yetti was awesome

Thank you all for the help I have found a supplier of horse capes as well as pony capes so n ow im just picking the right one for the mount.. I am excited to see how it turns out

seen one made using a horn from a spike elk on a pinto cape that looked really nice. didn't have the spiral though.

good luck and post phoitos when you get the mount done,

chris

just waiting on the right horse cape to come into the shop I am ordering it form. as soon as I get that it will head out to get started.