Thread: Homer silvers

Default Homer silvers

Took two guys out yesterday in search of the (lately) elusive feeder king bite. Fished all morning at the head of the Bay around Aurora Lagoon and Chugachik Island. Had several hard take-downs that didn't materialize. Got one silver and a jack feeder in 6 HOURS of trolling.

So I picked up and headed towards the Islands where we pulled up off Anisom point and trolled for a very short while. Rod went berserk and after coaching the one client who would LISTEN got that 14-lb. king in the boat. Good sign. Kept trolling there and hit another fish: silver!

I had stopped the boat and the other rig was suspended in the water and it suddenly came alive: another silver! At that point I should have switched to mooching rigs but it had been a long day and I was not quick of mind...

Trolled some more and in the next two go-arounds pulled in 4 more silvers. Then they disappeared.

Fish box looked very cool...

1king6silvers2.jpg

Nice lookin fish box! I'm heading down there tomorrow. I was thinking of heading into Sadie Cove area for some rockfish and now it looks like I will bring the trolling gear. Mind if I ask how far from shore you were, and were there jumpers present?

Good looking catch Cliffhanger. Spent 5 days targeting silvers about 3 weeks ago and only boated six. Has anyone tried Silver Ridge, Sand Waves or "the Fingers"? I'd fly back to Homer and give it a whirl if things heated up. Please keep us posted if and when the elusive silver run develops.

Quote Originally Posted by gr8lyf View Post
    Good looking catch Cliffhanger. Spent 5 days targeting silvers about 3 weeks ago and only boated six. Has anyone tried Silver Ridge, Sand Waves or "the Fingers"? I'd fly back to Homer and give it a whirl if things heated up. Please keep us posted if and when the elusive silver run develops.
    VERY nice Cliffhanger!!!

I often fish halibut out in the area of all the spots you mention and I have seen absolutely no sign of any silvers being around out there. No jumpers, and no boats, which you'd expect to see if there were any fish to be had out there
    , that's for sure. And I fished Pogi for about 2 hours a couple of days ago and didn't even catch a pink. And only a couple of other boats. If I were you I'd concentrate on the "inside the bay" spots.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

RustyMonkey - I was fishing at 40-45 feet in 55-70 feet of water. And not far off shore. I saw one or two jumpers, but not enough to think there was a school moving through.

Gr8lyf - I'm hearing, and Coho Dave will confirm, that the silvers are a no-show at Silver Ridge as of yet. Will let you all know if/when it happens.

I know there's silvers returning but they seem spread out. I've driven through and around feeding birds, which have been plentiful lately, but no fish found do that. It is a very odd beginning to silver season -- and really, we should be into the thick of it now...

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffhanger View Post
    RustyMonkey - I was fishing at 40-45 feet in 55-70 feet of water. And not far off shore. I saw one or two jumpers, but not enough to think there was a school moving through.
    Just as a point of information if you go up near Chugachik---don't be afraid to GO SHALLOW! That 17 lb. king I got up there day before yesterday was in about 40 ft. of water with my downrigger set about 25 ft. And I have seen a couple of boats trolling there with confirmed fish in the box that were fishing maybe in 30 ft. of water or less. I missed a very nice takedown today that occurred in about 30 ft. of water with my downrigger at around 20.

Thanks Mutt and Cliffhanger. Hows the water today. I know the reports can sometimes say 4ft and it be flat. I wanted to get on the water tomorrow and Saturday but the forecast is calling for 15 & 3 and 15 & 4. If you go out today or can let me know what you think it could save me gas.

Weather looks ok for the weekend. Not great, but certainly doable inside KBay.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyMonkey View Post
    Thanks Mutt and Cliffhanger. Hows the water today. I know the reports can sometimes say 4ft and it be flat. I wanted to get on the water tomorrow and Saturday but the forecast is calling for 15 & 3 and 15 & 4. If you go out today or can let me know what you think it could save me gas.
    It's a bit late for an "on the spot" "how's the water today" report, but having been out in the middle of the bay today I can tell you it wasn't all that bad. I was a bit worried when we headed out this morning around 7:15 and it took us about 50 minutes to go the 12 miles or so to one of my absolute favorite "paddle patches" hoping to rid it of any of those dreaded "ping pong paddle eaters" we all hate so much. It was certainly fishable, but the odd "rogue wave" of maybe 5 ft. in height would hit us occasionally and made walking around the boat interesting. But we had absolutely no problem doing drifts and "back trolling" to keep the lines as vertical as possible.

In my less than scientific estimation I don't think it is going to be that bad this weekend, though probably a lot of drizzle and some flat out rain. Pretty much low pressure all around with not much variance between any of the lows, therefore not much in the way of significant air movement. But what do I know? Ask a few select forum members and the resounding answer would be " absolutely nothing".

As you may know already I don't put a lot of stock in the marine forecast for a couple of days out, but here's what it's looking like for Cook Inlet outside of K-Bay:

Friday: WSW wind around 10 kt. Scattered showers. Seas around 2 ft.
    Friday Night: SW wind 5 to 10 kt becoming W after midnight. Rain likely before midnight, then showers likely after midnight. Seas around 2 ft.
    Saturday: W wind around 10 kt. Scattered showers, mainly before noon. Seas around 2 ft.

If it does hold true, I can certainly live with that.