Thread: carolinaboy..

Default carolinaboy..

Got these about 2.4 miles from S Cove harbor in Craig..(grin) Easy on the fuel! You up here yet? My freezer is full.

120lb, 86lb, and 46lb.

Some NICE ones, for sure! I leave next Saturday 9.8.12 , overnight in Seattle to take the 7am Sunday AK Air flight to KTN. We'll check in to Chuck's place around 1030 or 1100 am. Then fish until Saturday the 15th. Capt. Kirk has us pencilled in for a trip ( weather pending) sometime during that week. If you're interested in going fishing other than our trip with Kirk, let me know, I'll bring mo' money.

The Klawock coho return has started...Dan Goodness emailed everyone recruiting for a cost recovery yesterday. So my fingers are crossed for some silvers. A couple of guys from Salt Lake were just getting back to the SLC airport with fish boxes from the Lodge at Thorne Bay....saying they caught a few in the Thorne.

Steve

Looks like a bluebird day today up there! I have the Sunny Hae webcam and Chuck'c Dropcam on my monitors all the time.

my charter boat is put away for the year. This time of the year is all about me having fun...(grin) Well, after I get all my work done on the house I haven't been doing all summer.

You're still chasing fish 270? Shouldn't you be doing something about that collection of deer tags in your pocket?
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Nice Butts! Thanks for the pics. Would the 46 have made the "charter" limit? This slot limit is a crock, but at least better than last year. Wonder what SE will get for 2013? Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    You're still chasing fish 270? Shouldn't you be doing something about that collection of deer tags in your pocket?
    no kidding. One buck dead so far... been getting the honey-dos done so I can hit the alpine on Fri. Crazy how I fish all summer, and not a pack of halibut was put in my freezer. That's the life of a charter capt in SE.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Sloka View Post
    Nice Butts! Thanks for the pics. Would the 46 have made the "charter" limit? This slot limit is a crock, but at least better than last year. Wonder what SE will get for 2013? Any thoughts?
    All three would have been in the slot, had I been guiding charter angers. I was out with the wife fishing for my freezer, out of my personal skiff. The slot is light years better than a sub 37" limit though, and we caught a ton of 40-45" halibut, as well as some over 68" halibut.

Not sure what SE will get in 2013. It all depends on how much we harvested this year and if our ghl gets increased again. I'll post it when I know something. With the resurgence of halibut in SE, I wouldn't be surprised at all of they increase limits a little every year. Sure would be nice to one day get back to 1 any size.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Crazy how I fish all summer, and not a pack of halibut was put in my freezer. That's the life of a charter capt in SE.
    Are you not able to take fish as a captain or crew in Southeast as your good friend Muttley can do in Homer, or do you just give them all to your clients? The way you catch them, it seems like the clients would get plenty of fish on their own.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Captain or crew cannot retain fish with clients onboard in SE. Too many issues in the past of clients catching the crew's limit.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Captain or crew cannot retain fish with clients onboard in SE. Too many issues in the past of clients catching the crew's limit.

Gotta love it, don't you? I had clients in SoDak beg me to shoot my limit while I was guiding waterfowl/pheasants. My answer was always, "Nope, because when you guys are done, I'm going hunting!"

Side note - Carolinaboy, what part of 'Carolina' are you talking about?

Pretty much. We can't keep limits of halibut. Lost that a number of years ago. I understood it as a tool to try to keep the SE charter fleet under the GHL.

I personally support Capt's and Crew NOT being able to retain halibut, while on charters. I changed my position after I realized there was too much abuse, as we have seen on this very forum.

Save some broodstock will ya 270?

My 3-day salmon derby effort netted all the halibut I needed for the year. It's fun catching them on salmon gear. These were Day 1 fish.

Default stomach contents

This is typical of stomach contents of silvers we caught off St Johns two weeks ago. They ignored mooched cut plugs but hit skinny strips. So what am I looking at here ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

you do pretty well? We troll brownish hoochies when they are full of those little cod. (that's what I think they are, but not sure)

Default Craig

I think we were too early again. No choice with Cat's school. Scratched out a few at Diamond, Lil St Johns, and Eugennia. Halis within sight of town.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's tough to know the timing. I was slamming cohos at Diamond at the end of July.. and 2 weeks ago, etc. They were coming in waves this year.

DnD - that would be the Raleigh area. Lived there from 1976-2006. Parents on both sides are born and raised North Carolinians. So it fits. My work brought me out to Utah so I might need to change my handle to utahboy or utard as I hear them called now and then.

Looking forward to being back up there on the island again in a week. Hopefully we'll be wetting a line on the salt as well as the freshwaters. Hi Yo Silver!...Fish On!......zzzzzzzzzt! SNAP! .......fish off....