Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: It's going to pick up

  1. #1
    Member AK375HH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    610

    Default It's going to pick up

    I expect this area of The forums to take off next week.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

  2. #2
    Member 0321Tony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Sterling, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,712

    Default Re: It's going to pick up

    I won't get a chance to hunt till the end of September's due to work and moose/caribou hunting so I hope lots of people post so I can get a little of a fix reading about the success of others good luck everybody

    Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

  3. #3
    Member akblackdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,456

    Default

    I anticipate picking up my deks about 8 am sat morning, with my limit in the bag. Bud
    Wasilla

  4. #4
    Member AK375HH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    610

    Default It's going to pick up

    My goal is done by 8 as well.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

  5. #5
    Member DucksAndDogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Palmer/Deadhorse
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    I anticipate picking up my deks about 8 am sat morning, with my limit in the bag. Bud
    Quote Originally Posted by AK375HH View Post
    My goal is done by 8 as well.


    Lucky, Lucky, guys. My goal is to be done by 8, too... on the 18th, which will be the first day I get to duck hunt this year!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    283

    Default

    If its nice out, I might try to hold off a little this year and enjoy the show. So... I'll "shoot" for 8:30 haha.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,587

    Default

    Is it just me, or are those lofty goals? Of course, I hope you all meet those goals, but I'll be happy with just one or two each for my friend and I and a few successful retrieves from my dog.

    BTW, where are you guys hunting that there are so many birds? LOL =)

  8. #8
    Member AK375HH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    610

    Default It's going to pick up

    Same place I always go!
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

  9. #9
    Member DucksAndDogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Palmer/Deadhorse
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    I anticipate picking up my deks about 8 am sat morning, with my limit in the bag. Bud
    Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Is it just me, or are those lofty goals? Of course, I hope you all meet those goals, but I'll be happy with just one or two each for my friend and I and a few successful retrieves from my dog.

    BTW, where are you guys hunting that there are so many birds? LOL =)


    For me, and for most (it should) depend on how many people are in the group. Last year, we had a 2 person limit by 11, but my buddy had a bent barrel and didn't hit hardly anything. We also pulled 2 geese that were flying by. If I were by myself and had scouted, 8:00 isn't unreasonably by any means.

    Of course, if you don't solve your plug predicament, you may have issues from the game warden that keep you there past 8:00!!

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK375HH View Post
    Same place I always go!
    That's funny. Another good answer would have been "in the marsh."

  11. #11
    Member DucksAndDogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Palmer/Deadhorse
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    That's funny. Another good answer would have been "in the marsh."


    Until I know a person and trust them not to give out my spots, no matter what I'm hunting or fishing, my answer is always, "Up North." I could have driven 300 miles south to hunt, but my answer will be the same. Of course, this is in person. I ALWAYS tell the truth on here!



    Admittedly, I'll help people find birds, but I like to do it via PM. Not that I don't want to help people, I just don't know how many cyber scouters are out there lurking and have no intentions of paying it forward, they just want a freebie and that's it.

  12. #12
    Member AK375HH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    610

    Default It's going to pick up

    I have a group of 5...we'll all limit...I'll post the picture after it happens
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

  13. #13
    Member DucksAndDogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Palmer/Deadhorse
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK375HH View Post
    I have a group of 5...we'll all limit...I'll post the picture after it happens


    Post pictures with a phone beside it showing the current time. I'm gonna need to see 40 dead birds and 8:00 or before on the phone! Kudos if you do it!

    In my experience, it's not whether you're hunting an area with enough birds, it's whether or not the entire group can shoot that well on opening morning!

  14. #14
    Member AK375HH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    610

    Default It's going to pick up

    Mmm well I will have MY limit by 8...but we will have 40 on the first...I can post mine lol and then a group I guess
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

  15. #15
    Member DucksAndDogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Palmer/Deadhorse
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK375HH View Post
    Mmm well I will have MY limit by 8...but we will have 40 on the first...I can post mine lol and then a group I guess


    Now you're talkin! When I guided in SoDak, I was always thinking, "Man, if these guys could shoot halfway worth a ****, we'd already be back at the lodge eating breakfast by now." Invariably, they'd scratch out a limit by about 11:30 which would give me just enough time to get them back, change into pheasant clothes, chuck the birds into the cleaning shack, and get out into a pheasant field. Gotta love it!

  16. #16
    Member AK375HH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    610

    Default It's going to pick up

    Yeah...I'll admit none of my hunting partners are too impressive...guess some people got it and some don't lol
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Of course, if you don't solve your plug predicament, you may have issues from the game warden that keep you there past 8:00!!
    LOL. But, with 6 in the gun, I can take more faster. =) I bought a dowel rod at Lowe's earlier tonight, and rbuck has offered to put it in for me, if our schedules line up, which will be difficult.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Until I know a person and trust them not to give out my spots, no matter what I'm hunting or fishing, my answer is always, "Up North." I could have driven 300 miles south to hunt, but my answer will be the same. Of course, this is in person. I ALWAYS tell the truth on here!
    I didn't actually expect anyone to tell me their spot on an open forum. It was for comic value only. However, and on that note, I am going with a friend to Anchorage Coastal Wildlife Refuge (I figure everyone already knows about that, so I don't have to hide it.), and I wonder what is the best way to time the tides there. (Girlfriend is worried about the dog getting stuck in that coastal/tidal mud). According to the reg book, shooting starts at 6:23, about 2 hours before high tide.

  19. #19
    Member akblackdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    I didn't actually expect anyone to tell me their spot on an open forum. It was for comic value only. However, and on that note, I am going with a friend to Anchorage Coastal Wildlife Refuge (I figure everyone already knows about that, so I don't have to hide it.), and I wonder what is the best way to time the tides there. (Girlfriend is worried about the dog getting stuck in that coastal/tidal mud). According to the reg book, shooting starts at 6:23, about 2 hours before high tide.
    no matter what the tide, u better be parked, and out on the flats by 5 or so, drinking coffee and finding a good place to hide and hunt, especially if you are new there. my secret place to share is right across the highway at potters march, lots of birds and not competition, just gotta be fast. Bud ps: if her dog isn't a retriever, u better leave it at home
    Wasilla

  20. #20
    Member AK Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    South Central
    Posts
    2,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    I didn't actually expect anyone to tell me their spot on an open forum. It was for comic value only. However, and on that note, I am going with a friend to Anchorage Coastal Wildlife Refuge (I figure everyone already knows about that, so I don't have to hide it.), and I wonder what is the best way to time the tides there. (Girlfriend is worried about the dog getting stuck in that coastal/tidal mud). According to the reg book, shooting starts at 6:23, about 2 hours before high tide.
    Now that the rail road has closed off those two parking spots after the lady was run down on the tracks, I wonder how many people hit the potter end of the refuge these days? Its a long walk from any legal parking area.

    The people that I know that hunt(ed) there did not go any where near the mud. There are small surface water pools hidden in the sedges and they set up on those. They are hard to see at eye level, but from the air - bird level - they stand out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •