Thread: Likely hood of filling the freezer mid sept-early october

Default Likely hood of filling the freezer mid sept-early october

Well I will be returning from the sandbox here in a few weeks and was curious what the likely hood of filling the freezer will be during this timeframe (mid sept around the 18th-early oct). Would love to put some moose / bou in the freezer but I am pretty sure I will miss out on most of the prime time to do this. Blackbear is always a household favorite but with out a wheeler getting to the hill sides will be a long trek on foot but I am willing to do this. Most of my hunting will be solo as the rest of my hunting family will still be playing G.I joe for a little longer. So what are the chances of hooking up on something during the timeframe listed? I will be limited on the time able to hunt (a few over nighters but most of my hunting will start bright and early in the AM and I will be home that evening back in Anchorage.)

any suggestions would be great as I am trying to put a dent in the pocketbook for groceries (family of 5) and last year the 2 bears I took home helped out greatly for this.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

You should be able to hook up on a moose, or a late season moose. Dont foget there are winter hunts too!

That timeframe is prime time for black bears in the Kenai Mountains. Day hunts are a great option for bears feeding on berries anywhere from Girdwood to Cooper Landing, though as you know those guys don't have quite the amount of meat on them as a moose or caribou.

If you have a hunt where an ATV would really help, let me know. I may have something I could lend out.

Thanks Brian most of my hunting if not 99% of it has evolved around unit 16 and I know the area that I bait and hunt fairly well but with the amount of snowfall last winter I heard 90% of it was too wet to get back into. I do plan on trying to bag a moose and figure bringing a cub in distress call would do wonders on landing a nice blackie as I brought 2 in last season in july with the same call. My biggest concern is the pack out (nothing says "I will crush you like the tiny ant you are" like hauling out a moose on foot but if that is what I am going to have to do so be it as long as it helps feed the family. I have wondered about the kenai but I have little to no experience hunting that area.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Don't forget about the Ship Creek registration moose hunt, it is a lot of work and better if you have some guys or gals you can call on when you get a moose down, packing out of there solo is not recommended. The winter moose hunts up north are good hunts but the require snowmachines and winter camping gear.

The end of Sept , just when the nights get to freezing, I like to pile up a bunch of meat for the comming Dark. Cold enough to keep whole carcasses and Bulls are following Cows to gather in migration, trailing cows who beat the path and set the trails . Once the puddles stay frozen all day and ice gathers freeze up is inevitable with thin ice and lower temps, and every morning theres fog on the rivers edge you have to get your Hunt on, as within a week or so the bulls will Rut. Water latent stomaches are about a one day warning that Rut will arrive. The smell is unmistakable.

In more Southern latitudes of Alaska there might be rut in progress before the Caribou I hunt do in Fall, as well, Reindeer generally rut and calf about 2 weeks before Caribou , but that is changing with the Reindeer being bred out of the WACH here.

Forget Caribou after the end of September, the meat is YUKK.
    Their meat gos though a horrible change of flavor akin to diesel being pissed on the meat.

Everything, animal wize else go's, but don't hunt Caribou Bulls in October....... Don't do it.....
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Don't forget about the Ship Creek registration moose hunt, it is a lot of work and better if you have some guys or gals you can call on when you get a moose down, packing out of there solo is not recommended. The winter moose hunts up north are good hunts but the require snowmachines and winter camping gear.
    Yeah bronco will go with you... Great hunt pretty easy to do...

haha yah judging by his post I think i will steer clear of ship creek I do have an offer from a forum member who offered his boat to get me into some areas to hopefully drop a moose which would be excellent

Nah bronco spreading bs hoping it will detour people going in there this yr. Real nice trail you can take from the eagle riverside.

Quote Originally Posted by NhraFox View Post
    Thanks Brian most of my hunting if not 99% of it has evolved around unit 16 and I know the area that I bait and hunt fairly well but with the amount of snowfall last winter I heard 90% of it was too wet to get back into. I do plan on trying to bag a moose and figure bringing a cub in distress call would do wonders on landing a nice blackie as I brought 2 in last season in july with the same call. My biggest concern is the pack out (nothing says "I will crush you like the tiny ant you are" like hauling out a moose on foot but if that is what I am going to have to do so be it as long as it helps feed the family. I have wondered about the kenai but I have little to no experience hunting that area.
    Confusious say wise hunter that hunts up hill packs out moose down hill.....

Quote Originally Posted by NhraFox View Post
    haha yah judging by his post I think i will steer clear of ship creek I do have an offer from a forum member who offered his boat to get me into some areas to hopefully drop a moose which would be excellent
    Thats the only late season moose hunt I know of in the South Central area and it does not require any special equipment, though I do highly suggest getting it done prior to it snowing!

For that RM435 ship creek hunt you should look at this, pay particular attention to the hunting conditions part...

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...tfile_id=12212

I was looking into this hunt myself, did a search on here....lol even read the thread on it done by bronco and 323 last year

I was told that unless you know someone who has horses or pack mules then its pretty rough to do yourself, unless you can find about 6 good friends to help you pack out