Thread: transporting fuel into hunting camp

Default transporting fuel into hunting camp

I built a new meat wagon this year and fabricated a steal fuel tank to mount on it. I was sick and tired of wearing out my plastic gas cans every year. On my old meat wagon I fabricated a rack that I would put my plastic gas cans in. Those plastic cans would wear a hole in the bottoms or corners. This new fuel tank should last a long time. I also mounted a hand pump on it so fueling the argos and 4 wheelers will be much easier. Another great plus will be no more fumbling with those silly new style of fuel spouts that come on the gas cans today.

Sweet trailer- fuel capacity?

Thats a nice looking setup, really like the pump!

Sweet shop!!!!
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

21 gallons.

Very nice looking trailer
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Love the trailer! The shop's great too.

Nice set up! You might thing about putting another axle on the trailer. Seems to me that you are going to have a lot of tongue weight and that would help alleviate that issue. I guess I have never been a fan of single axle trailers. Just feel like big anchors back there.

way cool setup! Im in fairbanks too. message me, i have an argo and it is always nice to exchange numbers with somone else. You know you can drive your argo into places a man cant walk out of. it is nice to have people around that can come help rescue (when i get my argo back together that is)

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    Nice set up! You might thing about putting another axle on the trailer. Seems to me that you are going to have a lot of tongue weight and that would help alleviate that issue. I guess I have never been a fan of single axle trailers. Just feel like big anchors back there.
    Does look a little heavy on the tongue.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Yes, you are right in regard to it being a little heavy on the tongue. Adding the fuel tank was an afterthought. I welded up the frame and axle on before I thought of putting on a fuel tank. The tank itself weighs about 38 pounds and with 21 gallons of fuel will bring the total weight to around 165 pounds. I can counter this by loading the trailer with my heavy items in the rear. I will add another axle next year. No time left this year before hunting season as I still have a couple of aluminum projects to finish up.

FWIW- Hate to be critical as it's a pretty trailer and appears you put some time and well meaning effort into it. But here are my thoughts ....

The tires look pretty small, and with the height, it looks pretty tippy. I would think it would rattle apart (especially if the old ones wear the gas cans) and perhaps blow apart if it's to be used as a meat wagon. What is your ground clearance? or would the trailer potentially snag on things your ATV's clear?

I would use the Argo to carry fuel cans. Suggest cutting a sheet of marine grade plywood (or plywood with an water resitant glue) that covers the rear bottom tray. We use the space under the plywood for storage (ropes, tools, and assorted gear). Our gas cans ride just fine on the plywood. We've never had a gas can leak.

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    FWIW- Hate to be critical as it's a pretty trailer and appears you put some time and well meaning effort into it. But here are my thoughts ....

The tires look pretty small, and with the height, it looks pretty tippy. I would think it would rattle apart (especially if the old ones wear the gas cans) and perhaps blow apart if it's to be used as a meat wagon. What is your ground clearance? or would the trailer potentially snag on things your ATV's clear?

I would use the Argo to carry fuel cans. Suggest cutting a sheet of marine grade plywood (or plywood with an water resitant glue) that covers the rear bottom tray. We use the space under the plywood for storage (ropes, tools, and assorted gear). Our gas cans ride just fine on the plywood. We've never had a gas can leak.
    I appreciate your comments.

The tires are 25 inch. This is the 4th trailer like this that I have built. I made it taller than the previous ones as it makes it easier to put light items in the top of it. The lid is watertight and dustproof so everything stays dry. The trailer frame is 2" x 2" X 1/4" steel tubing and supports the plywood box real good. The dimensions are 30" wide by 60" long and 45" tall with the lid on. The plywood is attached to a 2 X 2 wood frame that is glued and screwed on. The outside is sprayed with bedliner. These trailers hold up very well considering the terrain we go through.

The argos that go into moose camp with us also pull a trailer and are fully loaded with gear as well. I have a design for the next one that will be aluminum on a steal frame. The fuel tank will be part of the bed which will distribute the weight better. It will also be a tandem axle. No time this year to build it.

You're welcome for the comments... and from the pics, I could tell its not your first trailer... so thanks for politely addressing this cheechako's concerns while providing more construction details.

How do they fair in rollovers?

You're welcome for the comments... and from the pics, I could tell its not your first trailer... so thanks for politely addressing this cheechako's concerns while providing more construction details.

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post

Never had a rollover yet. We load all the heavy items on the bottom and stack the light stuff on top. These trailers are really stable as their footprint is the same width as a 4 wheeler. Take a look at my web site and you will see some of the other trailers I have built and the areas we go into.

Just finished rebuilding mine as well, but I like some of your mods!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

speaking of making fellow argo owner contacts, would you guys think it would be useful if a guy assembled a list of contacts of all the argo owners in alaska that we could find? one of the problems I have is that while I want to go 30 miles in on an argo only trail for moose, if something were to happen where I needed help, I might be stuck because all my friends have 4 wheelers and COULDN'T come help me. plus perhaps we could find fellow argo owners to hunt with? I would be willing to assemble a list if there is interest, and each contributor would get a copy. (mod- feel free to move this, although t I think it should remain in hunting but perhaps a new thread?) let me know your thoughts!!!

Quote Originally Posted by STEELHED View Post
    Just finished rebuilding mine as well, but I like some of your mods!!
    That sure is a nice paint job. Must have taken some time to finish.