Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Haven't seen any moose so far....

Default Haven't seen any moose so far....

I know it's still early but I've been all over 16a and 14a.I've been hunting since Saturday I normallly see at few cows. Is anyone else fairing any better?

Just got back from 5 days way back by Kings river in 14A. The last winter was tough and now there is a resident grizz who raining h*ll on the few moose that are in there. Dont get me wrong, if one spends enough time in woods there he bound by luck to find something. Ohh yeh, with the recent flooding and rain. We were stuck back there for an extra 2 days.

I just spent 5 days out. I would say saw 60% less moose than normal. Its dismal......
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by gokorn1 View Post
    I know it's still early but I've been all over 16a and 14a.I've been hunting since Saturday I normallly see at few cows. Is anyone else fairing any better?
    saw 2 bulls opening weekend. one 40"ish still in full velvet, and the other was real close to legal. 48"-52" but it was raining so hard i couldnt count browtines. 3 coyotes, and thats it

I seen a spike-fork down kgb the other day.

Saw a dead cow moose on KGB as well looks like it lost the battle with a car.

First the Kings then the Silvers now the Moose returns are looking dismal! Government Conspiracy I say! How dare you Alaskans be self reliant.

Spent 7 days in 16b on the opener. Saw 7 bulls of which 5 were legal and numerous cows. Couldn't have packed the bigboy out without a helicopter but brought home a nice fat forkie.

thats good to hear on 16B! Another success story for the state first unit 13 and now unit 16B.

Default forkie down

2012 Moose.jpg

I ran out after work in 14A last firday and got to my "ridge", started glassing around 7 or so.. counted 18 moose from then, until dark.. all cows and calves but 3, 1 bull was a easy tweener.. 38-42", another was close.. but too late and hazy to count the browtines.. Im guessing 48-52", Taking my daughter to kill him in a couple weeks..

I had put him in my back pocket to look at in the morning when a nice perfect 2 x 2 forkie stood up in the grass about a click away.. I had him in the spotter as he bedded right at dark.. Fast worward till 5 am the next morning.. Woke up to fog, rain.. drizzle.. more fog and clouds.. couldn't see squat till 6-630 effectively.. so I pounded monsters and ran in circles waiting impatiently.. waiting for the sky to clear.. soon as the sky cleared.. I had the spotter still on the spot he was bedded the night before.. about 10 minutes later he stood up.. Bingo.. thats him..
    I hauled ass up and around and got above him. popped over the ridge and he was gone.. I held tight figured he layed back down in the neck high grass.. 20 minutes later he stodd up as I figured he eventually would.

BOOM.. season over

Like I told my son.. dont have to see 500+ moose.. just need to see one legal one..

I saw a handful of cows this morning. I think to lower temps got them up and moving.

Quote Originally Posted by powderhound View Post
    Just got back from 5 days way back by Kings river in 14A. The last winter was tough and now there is a resident grizz who raining h*ll on the few moose that are in there. Dont get me wrong, if one spends enough time in woods there he bound by luck to find something. Ohh yeh, with the recent flooding and rain. We were stuck back there for an extra 2 days.
    No tag for that bear? I have one.
    Paul

saw a forkie this mornin but was a touch outta range for the ol 32, gonna find him agian in the morning
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

We hunt it hard for 5 days and saw way less moose then I can remember, it will take a few years to recover, a few bulls yes, but very few.

Haven't really been moose hunting yet but just in my backyard/meadow(Moose food plot if you will) there is always a resident moose or two around. Walked back aways behind the house yesterday and it is nothing but moose swamp back there, hung a few game cam to see if a legal bull is hanging around. Might not need to head out of town to get one this year be pretty nice to skin/quarter it in the comfort of the garage lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Bearclaw67 View Post
    No tag for that bear? I have one.
    I have sitting by, unfortunately I had to get back to work today and bear season didn't open up til the 1st. I honestly was Hoping that guy would give me some troubles in camp. He was wise enough to keep his distance. Might make another run out there to see if I can croos his path in 3 weeks.

Opening day just out of Wasilla, my buddys wife shot a 52" 10mins after missing a forky. I shot a 31"w/ 3browtines in the same spot yesterday.

shot a forky this morning, unfortunatly I only clipped its brisket and after a couple miles of following it I never found it.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    shot a forky this morning, unfortunatly I only clipped its brisket and after a couple miles of following it I never found it.
    did you notch your tag?

Shoulda had a $2000 scope.

P.S. Private property is fair game if signs aren't posted.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast