Thread: KIDS M99 Savage

Default KIDS M99 Savage

Laid awake last night thinking about what kind of rifle to get to start the grandkids deer hunting this fall. I was uncertain but on a mission this AM. Grabbed a NIB 30-06 out of the gun safe and headed to my old gun store.
    Got there and only one rifle caught my eye a Savage M99 Take Down in 300 Savage, sporting a 2.5x Weaver. It has102_2091.jpg102_2093.jpg about 50 % blue (the rest is handling wear), a brass rotary shell counter and the wood had small ivory pegs in stratigic points. The only drawback,the stock had been shortend for a woman or kid and a red rubber recoil pad installed(it's so old it's mashed flat). Just what I wanted.
    I made a straight up trade with my old partner and filled out the papers; each of us thinking we cut a fat hog. I'll replace the bum recoil pad with a 1/4" rubber one and reload some low recoil ammo for the kids and wait for deer season. Now the daughter wants in too; hunting with a classic lever action !! LOL
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Believe you knife was sharper. Fine lifetime rifle for sure.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    ...and reload some low recoil ammo for the kids and wait for deer season.
    For years I have loaded reduced loads for a buddy's succession of kids. The 125 grain Sierra loaded over enough IMR-3031 to produce around 2500 fps kills deer like crazy to around 200 yards, but is a maiden's kiss on young shoulders. Less recoil that the standard 30-30, but kills as well or better.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    For years I have loaded reduced loads for a buddy's succession of kids. The 125 grain Sierra loaded over enough IMR-3031 to produce around 2500 fps kills deer like crazy to around 200 yards, but is a maiden's kiss on young shoulders. Less recoil that the standard 30-30, but kills as well or better.
    Ha, the all great minds thing! I was going to suggest the Sierra 125's. I have an old friend in northern Mo that used to bust broncs. His boney old shoulders won't tolerate recoil yet he kills as many deer as the law will allow with his model 94 loaded with the pointy 125s. He only loads 2, one in the chamber and one in the magazine....most of the time that is one more bullet than he needs.

Yes Sir Brav01 you made a find. A big part of the hunt is what your packin and you'd be hard pressed to come up with something that would make better memories than a 99. I'm at the same point in life with 4 grandsons. My oldest is 10 he will be a hunter and fisherman till he dies and being a part of that is second to none! I'm sittin here with a big ole grin cuz I know what your feeling with that very special gun purchase/horse trade! Good on ya!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Ha, the all great minds thing! I was going to suggest the Sierra 125's. I have an old friend in northern Mo that used to bust broncs. His boney old shoulders won't tolerate recoil yet he kills as many deer as the law will allow with his model 94 loaded with the pointy 125s. He only loads 2, one in the chamber and one in the magazine....most of the time that is one more bullet than he needs.

Yes Sir Brav01 you made a find. A big part of the hunt is what your packin and you'd be hard pressed to come up with something that would make better memories than a 99. I'm at the same point in life with 4 grandsons. My oldest is 10 he will be a hunter and fisherman till he dies and being a part of that is second to none! I'm sittin here with a big ole grin cuz I know what your feeling with that very special gun purchase/horse trade! Good on ya!
    I already have a couple of boxes of the Sierra 125 grn Pro Hunter bullets, used them in 7.62x39 Ruger rifle I used to have. I've got 5 granddaughters-3 have no desire to shoot and 2 are too young. I have 4 grandsons-1 doesn't like outdoors, the rest are just starting, oldest is a small 9. What really sold me is I like schnabel forends, this rifle has one !
    The Churchill Windsor grade 30-06 I traded was one I bought a life-long friend that had his rifle stolen after we went deer hunting on Thanksgiving weekend 2009; Got it as a Christmas present for 2009. He had a heart attack and died 3 days before Christmas, couldn't bear to use it and didn't know what to do with it either. I feel like it'll be put to good use this way.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

Nice score!

My 9yr old grandson came by and we were going to practice some before a trip into the woods hog hunting. I pulled out my 300WM Sendero and the M99 Savage and headed for the back yard range. The grandson looked at my rifle and the one schediled for him and was displeased, he asked how come my rifle isn't like yours you're not using a cowboy gun. Right then I knew where this was going he wanted a bolt gun, I agreed we'll just have to get you a different rifle. We went to the gun safe hung up the M99 and took my M94 6.5 Swede with a full manlicher style stock out to the porch. I measured his LOP wrapped the stock with some Blue Scotch masking tape and fired up the Rigid mitre saw. One quick zip and the LOP was 12.5" and the grandsons have a new deer rifle; even if it is 108 yrs old. The rifle has 1-7 7/8" twist and doesn't like bullets under 140 grns, but shoots 140s into about an inch @100 yds. I replaced the 2x7 Leupold with a 1x4 LER mounted on the Leupold 1 piece mount w/ Leupold rings. I guess the M99 will be traded in on another project in the future; someone will surely want a cowboy rifle.

Love it! Wish I could get my hands on a Savage 99 in 30.30, .243, or .308, but I'd probably go another caliber too because I love those rifles.

nice looking rifle! That's a take down model by the way. Folks don't realize this, but those featherweight models with the 20" barrels only weigh about 6.5lbs. Love the savage 99's! It's as close to rifle perfection, than I'll ever shoot. The checkering is impressive:

102_2223.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    nice looking rifle! That's a take down model by the way. Folks don't realize this, but those featherweight models with the 20" barrels only weigh about 6.5lbs. Love the savage 99's! It's as close to rifle perfection, than I'll ever shoot. The checkering is impressive:

Yep, it's a takedown! maybe 24 or so inch barrel bought it with a 12.5" LOP for the grandkids. Made in 1924 according to the SN. Here's a picture of the replacement rifle, notice with it's factory 17.5" military barrel it's 3 or so inches shorter than my Nylon 66.

I have a cut down 308 for my 9 yr old son. Its still fairly heavy for its short over all length but works out very well. One thing I have found is that reduced loads with Trailboss powder have worked out really well. 150gr Nosler BT @ 1400fps are very accurate and recoil and muzzle blast is hardly more than a 22lr. It also prints pretty close with full power loads. I'm sure that it would work equally well with your 300 Savage or even your 6.5x55. Lots of repeated practice with the reduced loads will help them from developing a flinch.