Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Clay Beads

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2

    Default Clay Beads

    Hey guys!

    I have tons of clay beads! And I mean tons!

    I've always used TROUTBEADS or Great Lakes Steelhead Company Beads for chromers, but these clay beads are sexy as heck!

    Obviously much heavier, so do those of you who use clay beads find you can get away with less weight? I assume they do not have a neutral bouyancy either.

    Anything DIFFERENT about fishing clay beads vs plastic?

    Thanks guys!

  2. #2
    Member CTobias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Here and there.....
    Posts
    237

    Default Clay Beads

    No one wants to spoon feed you on beads you dirty snagger.

  3. #3
    Member jdcollins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    north pole
    Posts
    168

    Default

    so how does one go about making clay beads? is it easier then painting plastic beads

  4. #4

    Default Clay Beads

    You can imitate salmon eggs way better with plastic than you can with clay. When you look at real salmon eggs you will see why. I would stick to plastic for sure. And yes I have tested the clay beads. Plastic was out fishing them 3 or 4 to 1. Dial in your plastics and hold on tight!

    This fish fell for the plastic recently.

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HDour
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1346214771.832730.jpg  

  5. #5
    Member jdcollins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    north pole
    Posts
    168

    Default

    sexy bow!!!

  6. #6
    New member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Thats kind of dissapointing!!! I was hoping clay beads crushed the fish, as they look good as hell!!!

  7. #7

    Default

    Buddy of mine got all wrapped up in the reports and bought a bunch last spring. Last I heard he and his kids are using them with their Wrist Rocket now.

  8. #8
    Member DRIFTER_016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    3,318

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ctakacs View Post
    Thats kind of dissapointing!!! I was hoping clay beads crushed the fish, as they look good as hell!!!
    Clay beads do work quite well.
    Obviously some peole haven't tried them.
    You will need to shorten your lead a bid due to the sinking ability of the clay beads though.
    I really don't change my setup other than that.
    Get out there and run them because they do work quite well.

  9. #9
    Member alaskachuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    3,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Clay beads do work quite well.
    Obviously some peole haven't tried them.
    You will need to shorten your lead a bid due to the sinking ability of the clay beads though.
    I really don't change my setup other than that.
    Get out there and run them because they do work quite well.

    Yea what Drifter said.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

  10. #10

    Default

    Yeah I am not sayin they will not work. Give em a shot I am just saying IMO plastic will outfish clay. They are heavier than a real egg so they will not drift like a real egg. They are solid. Transparency is key to imitating a fresh egg. A dead egg can be imitated by clay but still there is a key ingredient missing. Transparency... Even though dead eggs appear to be solid they do transmit light. Don't get me wrong, like i said they will work.... but than again almost anything close to the right size and color will work on 75% of the fish, but I like to try for the other 25% of fish. Those 25% area usually the bigger and older fish and it isn't their first rodeo. They have seen a lot of eggs and imitations, so if you can get it as close to natural as you can, then you have a better chance. Once again, I this is all my Opinion........ Hope the info helps. Either way you will have a blast.

  11. #11
    Member danattherock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    5,608

    Default

    Caught lots of fish on these 7mm clay beads I made. Very effective.



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •