Thread: Jet or Airboat for Alaskan hunting/fishing?

Default Jet or Airboat for Alaskan hunting/fishing?

I am closing in on 14 months till I retire from the military and am very excited to be moving back to Alaska. Right now we are planning to move to Fairbanks so I can finish grad school, then our goal would be Tok, Glennallen, Copper Center, or maybe somewhere on the Parks highway.

We are looking at spending less than $30,000 and less than that is better, so probably 2nd hand.

Just want a tough boat, and while I can visualize the advantages of both. I am not 100% sure what we want.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

You need to clarify what the main purpose of the boat is. Will it be your only boat?
    Location, as you stated, will also be a factor in what you choose.
    BK

No problem!

It will more than likely be our only boat. We'll use it to access hunting for caribou and moose, and maybe sheep in the Park if we live in the Copper Valley.

It will also get used primarily for fishing.

I am not much on running around on the ocean in a little boat, so it won't get used for that.

Probably get used all summer and until things freeze up in the fall.

I have a family of 3, we'd like to have another kid, and my parents or the wives parents. Needs to be at least 5 adults safe.

I am going to be mostly retired, so it should get used quite a bit.

Jetboat for sure.

Jetboat then. An airboat would likely be to spendy to carry all the people you want to bring along.
    They are not user friendly for fishing out of, mainly a transport vehicle.
    BK

I agree jet boat. But for 30K you could come close to getting both. I have an Extreme Shallow Jet boat and an airboat (I bought from bkmail this year) and I have right at 30k invested in both...obviously I bought both second hand but I am happy.

I have an jet craft Extreme Shallow 2175 I'll sell for 32,000 its got everything you would ever want. 200 hrs total on boat extra impeller, custom posi nozzle, intercom system for 4 people,2 spring ride seats,and 2 seats on storage boxes, vhf radio, gps chart potter, 2 40 gal tanks, full canvas, twin axle trailer, SS sleave and ss 4 high scew impeller, black in color. and 200 hp merc otimax. with 200 hrs like I said. this boat new would be 48,000.00 I have the appraisal. moving on to bigger and better.if you interested pm me and I'll send you pics, available on oct 1st. I will be out of town till then.

I would ride in them both first, then decide. Once you see what each boat will do and what the airboat can do over a jet the choice will be easy.

Jetboat. Unless you find the right airboat you will be sinking more money into it in order to make it legal for the park.

Legal for the park? What mods would be needed to do this? What is being corrected? Noise levels?

As long as you have an exhaust and are not one of "those guys" that insists on running straight pipes then the prop noise is the one you need to take care of. Buried in the fine print there is a decibel rating you need to meet. Gotta love the parkies for making stuff hard to find. A park ranger or other authority will stand on the bank and you will have to drive by on step at a specified distance and meet the required decibel level. I know of one boat that has gotten this over the years and another that was working towards it. Not sure if the second one got certified. We were going to do it with a crossover exhaust and a new prop but decided to get into jetboating.

this looks like it will suit your needs

http://eielson.baseforsale.com/?cont...d=145880&day=1

what park are you refering to that they are legal, i've been told illegal in Tok area and yukon flats. Bud

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    As long as you have an exhaust and are not one of "those guys" that insists on running straight pipes then the prop noise is the one you need to take care of. Buried in the fine print there is a decibel rating you need to meet. Gotta love the parkies for making stuff hard to find. A park ranger or other authority will stand on the bank and you will have to drive by on step at a specified distance and meet the required decibel level. I know of one boat that has gotten this over the years and another that was working towards it. Not sure if the second one got certified. We were going to do it with a crossover exhaust and a new prop but decided to get into jetboating.
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    what park are you refering to that they are legal, i've been told illegal in Tok area and yukon flats. Bud
    Tetlin refuge out of Tok wanted to argue with us one year. They are legal there if they stay in the water. I am referring to Wrangell St.Elias NP. The OP was looking at moving here so he would be allowed to use an airboat if it were certified. Jetboats do just fine on any of the rivers in there though.