Thread: WACH Report Aug. 28th

Default WACH Report Aug. 28th

Wow!! Its hard to believe but it is time to go hunting! I hope all of you have your hunts planned out, your gear is on its way to Kotz and your guns are sighted in.

My first groups will be going out next week and we are eager to see how the weather will treat them. As most of you all know the weather has been bad with 9 inches of rain last week forcing the rivers over the banks all across the region. I talked with some friends up in Kiana and the Squirrel River is really high flooding the boat launch across from the island at the mouth of the Squirrel. There are a number of Conexs that are about 3 feet under water and lots of junk coming down the river.

Most of the rivers will clean up by next week when early groups are arriving for hunts but keep in mind that all rivers in unit 23 can swell quickly. In 2006 we had a huge storm blast into the region and many of our hunting groups were washed out because they camped to close to the streams. Be careful when choosing your camps as the streams can and do rise over night and you will find yourselves wet very quickly. Rafters: Tie off your rafts! If that stream rises 2 feet and the raft is not tied off it will float away!

Reports:

The Wulik is blown out but should recover faster than many others because it is short. Pilots have reported that the moose are up out of the river drainage because of the flooding so they may be scattered a bit next week.

The Noatak drainages (lower) have seen no real bou numbers. When the 15th of Sept roll around there will be lots of boy moving through the Kelly and Kug.

Upper Noatak: Starting to see bulls coming through the Desperation Lake area and upper Anisak. These are the animals that make it into the Onion Portage early and they are the first wave of animals. As reported on another thread locals are starting to see animals in the middle Kokuk River.

It's early and as long as the weather cools down as it should we will be seeing lots of Bou migrating through the unit. For you guys hunting early sept. expect to see small bands of animals. Mid Sept will be the time when the big groups come in and the Big Bulls are normally found at the back of those groups, cows, cavils and small bulls move in first.

Get Ready!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    www.northwestalaska.net

Walt,
    Thanks for the report. We are flying into the upper Noatak area you are mentioning(by the way, we spoke last year about this and we are flying with Jared as you recommended,THANKS!!!) Our hunt starts on the 6th and we are staying til the 16th. We are hoping for the "Big Bull Gods" to smile on us. Any up to date info on those areas will keep me primed. Only seven days and a wake-up and I'll be back on the Tundra. Keep us all posted.

Awsome Report, Thank you!!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Thanks for the report. Hopefully the weather gets better. Was there in 2006, no issues for us but there were many that didn't fare as well. Good times.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Default Re: WACH Report Aug. 28th

Heading up to the squirrel in one week most of our landing strip has been washed away and spots for tents is under water I hope it stops raining soon

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Something to think about..

You guys who will be on the Squirrel expect it to be wall to wall hunting camps until the 15th of Sept. With the closer of the lower Noatak to fly in hunts the Squirrel will get hammered hard. We are not placing ANY of our groups in that mess until after the 15th. If your flight service is dumping you there you really should ask why?

Our belief if when coming that far north why should you have to get dropped on top of 100 of your newest friends.

We are almost in to Sept and water is still high. Doubtful the squirrel will be "wall to wall" camps unless folks boat up.

I believe the lower Noatak flying closure is only in effect until bou show up in the area in numbers, or until the 15th. The preserve super said they would lift the closure before the 15th if animals were there.
    If you want a wilderness experience, the farther from Kotz you go, in general, the less folks you'll see. If you want to get bou, you will likely have neighbors as the transporters are going to drop guys where the animals are, if at all possible.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Why have they closed the lower Noatak area to flying? Is it because it is so wet this year,or are the Bou numbers low. Just 5 more days til my trip. Hopefully the upper Noatak Area is open and laden with caribou.

BillsBou.jpgI agree with you a bit but I talked wit the LE at WEAR today and the way he explained it to me is the "Show Up" rule is very nebulas. The advice I received is plan on the 15th. My thought is this will be much like the RACK Board that helped push the reduction in WACH bag limit a few years back from 2 you to 1 for out of state hunters. That lasted ...3-4 years and now we see the return to 2 bou bag limit. I am guessing 2-3 years for the lower Noatak closure. I am not 100% sure on this but I think the closure is only limited to air flights and not boats.

See where I am going with this?

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Drop Camps, Float hunts