Thread: Need some advice...

Default Need some advice...

Let me start by saying my gardening experience is limited, at best! We just closed on our house and I'm in the process of adding/re-decorating. Our back yard has a hill that was put in to hide the view of a topsoil operation with dozers and what not. Since the back of the house literally looks directly into a 6'-8' hill, I'd considered building a trellis that ran the length of the back yard. Ideally, I'd be able to plant something that would grow/cover the trellis so it isn't just bare wood out there. This is where I'm asking for help. Is there any type of plant that can survive Alaska which would also produce fruit/vegetables year after year, but would grow on a trellis (vine)? I'm ok with maintaining the plant and doing the work necessary to clip away old pieces, watering, soil testing, etc., I just don't have a clue what would work in this scenario. I'm sure, eventually, there would be a small garden and maybe a greenhouse out there, but for now, this is what we want to do before winter.

Thanks!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Not necessarly a vine, but have you considered rasberries? Plants will grow upwards of 6 feet high.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Not necessarly a vine, but have you considered rasberries? Plants will grow upwards of 6 feet high.

I haven't necessarily considered anything due to ignorance. Back in NC, people could grow grapes & such in this fashion. Would the raspberries at least cling to the trellis? I'm mainly interested in a plant that will grow on/around the trellis, with something edible growing on the plant as a bonus. Doesn't necessarily have to be a vine, just something that would cling to the trellis so it doesn't just look like a wooden decoration built over plants.

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    I haven't necessarily considered anything due to ignorance. Back in NC, people could grow grapes & such in this fashion. Would the raspberries at least cling to the trellis? I'm mainly interested in a plant that will grow on/around the trellis, with something edible growing on the plant as a bonus. Doesn't necessarily have to be a vine, just something that would cling to the trellis so it doesn't just look like a wooden decoration built over plants.
    I put rasberries next to my chain link fence last fall, and they are growing all through the fence. No reason why they wouldn't do the same with the trellis.

I put rasberries next to my chain link fence last fall, and they are growing all through the fence. No reason why they wouldn't do the same with the trellis.

Sounds like a good idea, to me, then. Any other suggestions or even a suggestion for a book that discusses gardening/plants in AK?

One thing I was told is that rasberries need lots of sun, plenty of water and that manure is their friend. I put mine in around mid september last year. I started with 3 plants, only 2 made it through the winter, but they propogated into 8 plants over the summer. Hope they keep going like that!

One thing I was told is that rasberries need lots of sun, plenty of water and that manure is their friend. I put mine in around mid september last year. I started with 3 plants, only 2 made it through the winter, but they propogated into 8 plants over the summer. Hope they keep going like that!

That's good to know, I still have time! How big were the plants you put in the ground? I may have to find an alternative to manure, can't say the neighbors (or the wife) would be thrilled about that, but we'll see. The area I'm looking to use is about 3' wide by about 60' long. If anyone has some other suggestions besides raspberries, I'd love to hear them, otherwise, I'll have A LOT of raspberries!

The plants I put in were about 4 feet high. I got a couple buckets of horse manure from the folks down the street. Honestly, it didn't smell at all, probably because it was fairly old and quite dry. The fresh stuff is much more aromatic!!

The plants I put in were about 4 feet high. I got a couple buckets of horse manure from the folks down the street. Honestly, it didn't smell at all, probably because it was fairly old and quite dry. The fresh stuff is much more aromatic!!

I guess I'll have to see what I can't find out here. Maybe I'll put up a craigslist ad looking for some manure with no aroma. That oughta go over like a lead balloon!

definitely Raspberries love manure.. cow, horse, rabbit... Spread out on the base of your plants, it's not really going to have a nasty odor. ( IMO but as a kid on the farm, I shoveled a lot of manure with 30 holsteins to milk, and I've never found it offensive) However, not having access to horse or cow manure on a regular basis here in AK, I rely on Home Depot and Lowes and in the fall when they mark down a lot of their garden stuff, I grab up a few bags of cow manure/Compost mix and "feed" my red raspberries. I've had stalks reach up to 8ft in height on several occasions.

You could always espalier a few apples to do something different..

Quote Originally Posted by mad_yaker View Post
    You could always espalier a few apples to do something different..

That looks WAY above my pay grade.