Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heavy Bullets in 7mm-08

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Heavy Bullets in 7mm-08

I have several 7mm rifles, including 7x57s, but no 7mm-08.

I like 7mm Cal and “heavy for caliber” bullets. I’ve had 7mm-08 on my mind lately.

OK, I know that there is Data for loading heavy for caliber bullets in a 7mm-08, but FLs seem to be only 140 grain, and I spose that Handloaders mostly use the same weight.

Has anyone loaded 160 and 175 grain bullets and have anything to say about it.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Smitty I think if the twist rate is the same as the larger 7mm offerings to insure stability and you keep the killing range within the distance that the finished load can deliver 1800fps or greater on target the heavier bullets will do just fine in the 7mm-08. 1800fps seems to be about the average advertised effective velocity to insure bullet expansion.

Putting that another way. If someone shot a 7mmRUM with heavy bullets at long range they wouldn't be anymore deadly at 1800fps way down range as a 7mm-08 with the same bullet arriving at 1800fps at a closer range. All the big boomers do is extend your killing range assuming the shooter can put the bullet on target that far down range.

I like the 7mm-08 and will most likely get one for my son in a few years, he's only seven now. I think it has better ballistics than a .308 Win and better bullet choices.

I looked at the Ruger web site because I load a M77 for my Uncle with 175 Partitions in 7mm Rem Mag. The 7mm-08 offered by Ruger utilizes the same 1:9.5 twist in both rifles.

The Remington web site shows the 700SPS rifles in 7mm Rem Mag and 7mm-08 use the same 1:9.25 twist.

Taking data from Noslers web site shows loads for the 7mm-08 running about 2460fps with the 175gr Partition. A simple ballistic calculation shows that loads effective range is 200 yards with 1795fps at impact. That load is bullseye at 200 yards if sighted in 2.5" high at 100 yards.

Most would agree that moose can be shot at closer distances than 200 yards. Last year my nephew took a real nice bull at 75 yards with a 7mm-08 and 140gr Partitions, one shot is all it took.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...uot-BUll/page2

My frame of reference is more the 7x57 than the 7-08, but very similar ballistics with the heavies. In my experience there's really no need for 175 grain Partitions. I've had incredible penetration and weight retention with good old Hornady 175 grain RNs. Move to the 160 grain and I prefer the Partition over the 154 grain Hornady. The 160 shoots a little flatter than the 175, but still kills like lightning. I'd probably go with the 160 Partition over anything else if limited to one heavy.

Heaviest I shot are 154 hornadies they shoot great. Was told yrs ago that bullet was the perfect match for the 7mm. But that was a. Opinion but I have ran with it and never looked back. I use RL 15 in the 7-08 as well.

Heavy for caliber cup and core bullets are very good at muzzle velocities of 2700 fps and less. They are very reliable if not driven to magnum speeds. The Speer 160 Deep Curl SP would be excellent, and its .455 BC won't hurt, either.

OK, so no complaints of bullets seated too deeply into the powder space,,,,

Or, to where the Ogive is into the neck in order to meet the required OAL????

My bullet choices would be, C&C from Speer, Sierra, Hornady, like with my 7x57s

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I have used the 160 speer mag tip with great accuracy & killing power. It goes like this bang / flop !

Quote Originally Posted by alaska2go View Post
    I have used the 160 speer mag tip with great accuracy & killing power. It goes like this bang / flop !
    Thanks, that's good to hear.

I think that the 7mm Mag Tips have been discontinued, but with help from someone on the Forum, a while back, I was able to find a cupla boxes.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Great accuracy and around 2700 FPS with 162 gr Hornady A Max with max load of RL 15 in my 22" 7-08 LH Ruger Hawkeye

KK,

I never had a Ruger M77 before and I just bought a Hawkeye in .260. How do you like yours?
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Which one I have 5 LH Hawkeyes! i like them glass bed them before shooting them then work on load development like the ergonomics and rifles. LH 25-06 SS, 270 SS, 375 Ruger SS, 7-08 Blued, 308 SS all LH like the Hawkeye stock better than the MK2.

Smitty,
    We have 2 7mm08 in our house. Several years ago I loaded up some 139 Hornadys for my wifes model Seven, 20" barrel. They blood shot deer aweful. My wife doesn't shoot very far anyways, so I switched to the 162 Hornady interlock boat tail. It comes out of that short barrel right at 2500 fps. It works excellent on whitetails and mulies, much less meat loss. She hasn't killed an elk with it yet, probably not going to either. The stock on her 300 wsm got a pretty new pink camo job, poor little 7mm08 probably going to get lonely now.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

KK,

I got carried away by the moment and your affection for the Hawkeye...I found a .358 Win Hawkeye on Gunbroker that I just couldn't resist so suddenly I have two Hawkeyes, the .260 and the .358 Win....you don't suppose that's a bad thing do you? I have a Savage in .358 Win but it is heavy and kinda "klunky" compared to the Hawkeye so I went for it. I got it for $480 shipped and they threw in a Carhart jacket with a Ruger emblem on the chest. I didn't need the jacket but then you can't have too many. Ain't much I can't kill with those two.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    OK, so no complaints of bullets seated too deeply into the powder space,,,,

Or, to where the Ogive is into the neck in order to meet the required OAL????

My bullet choices would be, C&C from Speer, Sierra, Hornady, like with my 7x57s

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    You've got it. On the deep seating, if it was an issue the 284 would never have been hatched, much less survived so long. You should see how deeply a 175 intrudes in that case!

Thought I'd pass on that I talked to a buddy about his 7-08. He and his wife have whacked all sorts of game with their two, and in both the favorite bullet for accuracy, trajectory and terminal performance is the Speer 160. IIRC he said they're recovered exactly one bullet from dozens of large game, an endo shot on a Roosevelt elk bull at 200+ yards- In the chest and under the hide at the back of a ham. Nuff said.

It has been said by many that the 7-08 is the modern ballistic twin of the 7x57. I suppose that is true but there is one little caveat at the bottom, that being the 7x57's ability to handle heavier bullets. There is more to that and other attributes as well. The 7x57 when loaded to modern pressures, in modern rifles, is ballistically superior to the 7-08. That's kinda obvious, but the difference is small. The big difference between the two is that the 7x57 COAL is 3.065" (SAAMI), the 7-08 is 2.800". That difference translates to to points of consideration, the action length of the rifle and what range of bullet weights you intend to use. Longer bullets are right at home in the 7x57. It was originally designed to use the 175 grain, albeit in round nose form, but that is still a long bullet and certainly the 160 grain SBT will fit in that slot. The 7-08 must swallow that bullet to fit into it's 2.800" straight jacket. Now, I say this not to condemn the fine 7-08 but to give a more level playing field to the 7x57. It's merits are not fully realized anymore since the new short cousin showed up at the farm. I've owned several examples of both but sold my last two 7-08's, both extremely fine rifles, just to own one last, lovely 7x57. A modern, well made fully functional with all bullets lengths, M97 with floor plate and sights. I found it on a table at a gun show and swapped an Ed Brown 7-08 straight across. I'll never regret that trade and the Ed Brown was an exceptional rifle.......in 7-08
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Now, I say this not to condemn the fine 7-08 but to give a more level playing field to the 7x57. It's merits are not fully realized anymore since the new short cousin showed up at the farm.
    I couldn't agree more, but held off on recommending a 7x57 just because the 7mm-08 rifles are so much more widely available today, both in sources and models. If anyone really wants a sleek, light 7x57 comparable to models readily available in the 7mm-08, they had better get lucky at a gun show or be prepared to lay down buxx and have one built. We have waaaaaay too much tied up in my wife's sweet 7x57 for what we gain in ballistics over a factory 7mm-08.

BTW- My pick of the litter for a 7x57? I have a Ruger #1 International. The forend split right away, so when it went back to Ruger I paid a little extra for them to install and Alexander Henry forend. It's now the best balanced rifle I own for offhand shooting, yet shorter and quicker than my M94 30-30. Hard to beat it for speedy shots up close, offhand shots when needed, or rested longrange shots when stalking won't cut it. Even being a single shot, repeats are virtually as fast as a bolt with a little practice.

Okay, I'll take off my pimp hat now.

Couldn't agree more...7x57 is a fine round. My wife's is an old full stock Mark X with double set triggers and a butter knife bolt handle and is a sweet shooter.

I think the short coming of the 7/08 with long bullets is due to action length not the round itself. In a long action the 7/08 should shoot pretty much as good as the 7x57 with the bullets seated out to just off the rifling. That may defeat the short action handiness but in most cases that really only means a few ounces and a little longer OAL....but then...you might as well use a .280 at that point which really isn't that much more weight or recoil.

Come to think of it, whether it's still around or not, for a long time Ruger offered their M-77 in 7x57. Haven't owned one myself, but several friends do. The stock might be a little heavy, but they're excellent performers. I'd say with the addition of a synthetic stock this model might lighten up really well. If not currently available, I'd sure be cruising the used sources if you really wanted a 7x57 bolt gun at a reasonable price rather than a 7-08.

The 7x57 was the grandfather of modern cartridges 130 years ago, it and it's big brother the 8x57 are often overlooked. With like weight bullets and loaded to modern pressures it gives up nothing to the 270 Win, and still has the capacity to launch heavy bullets at reasonable velocities.
    My best friend has a Styer Luxus grade 7x57 it's smooth, accurate and a pleasure to shoot, my M77 Ruger flat bolt on the other hand wasn't. It shot around an 1 1/2" with factory ammo or handloads, I know that's at least minute of moose; BUT.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    ...my M77 Ruger flat bolt on the other hand wasn't. It shot around an 1 1/2" with factory ammo or handloads, I know that's at least minute of moose; BUT.
    I bet it would have responded well to "accurizing," as some call it, or doing it right as I prefer. I've done a whole bunch of the M-77's over the years, including the friends' two 7x57's I referenced, all with great results. Bottom line is getting rid of the little wooden "bridge" or dam at the front of the barrel inlet, then freefloating the whole barrel- about 2 minutes with a barrel inletting tool. Then take a rattail file and make sure there is no contact between the angled forward action bolt and the stock. I've carried it as far as complete glass bedding jobs on the action, but seldom with much more affect than those two important first steps. If you still have the rifle around, give it a try. I'm betting you can cut groups in half right there. Speculation for sure, but based on several dozen other M-77's I've hacked on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast