Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trim Tabs for 18' Achilles SU

Default Trim Tabs for 18' Achilles SU

Anyone put any on there large inflatable? Mine needs them and I'm not sure what to go with.

Have you adjusted the trim on the motor? Most inflatables run bow high so move as much gear as you can to the front of the boat.

Definitely need tabs. I need to force bow down. Can get on step but it takes forever. No amount of weight distribution is going to make a difference for me. Mine is not a typical setup.

How much weight are you carrying? What size motor are you using?

I am running a 50hp tohatsu tldi. Carry about 450lbs of fuel, gear and add ons. Plus a me and a friend usually. I would say 1500lb with everything. Maybe a tad less.

I was in the same situation with my 12ft dinghy. I run a tohatsu mfs20 and I could not get on plane no matter what I did. I finally said enough is enough and bought some doel fins at west marine. Best investment I've made all year long. I got the drill less kit so no holes in my cavitation plates. My boat now gets on plane super easy and stays on plane at lower speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by SalmonSlut View Post
    I was in the same situation with my 12ft dinghy. I run a tohatsu mfs20 and I could not get on plane no matter what I did. I finally said enough is enough and bought some doel fins at west marine. Best investment I've made all year long. I got the drill less kit so no holes in my cavitation plates. My boat now gets on plane super easy and stays on plane at lower speeds.
    Ditto to what he said. I used one of these http://www.bartswatersports.com/cata...FSiCQgod2hgA8Aon my old zodiac. It used to stand up on the points of the pontoons and not want to plane out. Made all the difference in the world!

I run a 17' Achilles with a 50hp Evinrude Etec and have found a couple of things.
    1) A hydrofoil will help greatly. I bought the SE Sport from West Marine and am happy with it.
    2) I also noticed that the transom on my Achilles did not have enough angle on it to get my prop where it needed to be. I was also pushing up instead of forward. I put in about 5/8" worth of washers under the upper two holes where my motor mounts. This allowed the motor to be tilted back further and gave me more thrust forward. I think there are actual spacer plates and kits for this, but I didn't have any luck finding any and the washers did the trick.
    3) Not to beat a dead horse, but weight distribution is huge. I find side to side weight can be more critical than front to back in some cases. If it is tilted to one side or another too much, you will have a difficult time getting anything done.

Not trying to sound like a know-it-all, but I have been there and wish I would have known this stuff beforehand.
    On another note, if you do the trim tabs, let us know how they turn out.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    Ditto to what he said. I used one of these http://www.bartswatersports.com/cata...FSiCQgod2hgA8Aon my old zodiac. It used to stand up on the points of the pontoons and not want to plane out. Made all the difference in the world!
    It makes you feel like you are actually boating instead of plowing doesn't it? LOL im afraid to go full throttle with the fins on.

I can't say enough good things about the Nauticus Smart Tabs.
    They work extremely well and are quite reasonably priced.

http://www.nauticusinc.com/smart_tabs.htm

Cabelas also sells the Smart Tabs: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boati...3Bcat104512680

Also to get your motor to trim in further under the boat you can use a wedge plate between your motor and transom.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boati...3Bcat104512680

The planing fins can actually make the handling twitchy with all of the extra surface on them.

I still have the wedges that came off of that boat if you are interested in trying them.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

First thing. I will never run a hydrofoil in any motor I own. The one I had on it cracked my anti cavitation plate in short order.

I was looking at the nauticus smart tabs. They look pretty good and don't cost that much. Worried about them hitting my elephant trunk though. It's not that my boat doesn't get on plane, cause it does. Just takes way longer than it should. I can't wedge motor currently as my steering rod will hit the transom. Might be able to get 1/4" but I doubt it.

Oh and weight distribution is not an issue. Everything is centered and setup very well. Doesnt matter if I put a person laying on the bow. Still takes forever. I know it's underpowered but it's what I have for now.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBroncoII View Post
    First thing. I will never run a hydrofoil in any motor I own. The one I had on it cracked my anti cavitation plate in short order.
    That is frustrating......I used the kit that doesn't require any drilling of holes because I worried about the same thing. If it broke my cavitation plate, I wouldn't be eager about slapping another one on either.
    As for not being able to wedge it because of the steering and transom issue, it just shows you how different two similar boats can be. Good luck.

My transom is wrapped in 1/4" aluminum. That is where the difference lies in the steering. 1/2" thicker transom overall.

"First thing. I will never run a hydrofoil in any motor I own. The one I had on it cracked my anti cavitation plate in short order. "

If busting anti cavitation plates was a common occurrence, I doubt any manufacturer could give them away much less sell them. You could have had a bad casting or any number of things collectively go sideways...but if it happened to me, I probably wouldn't get the joke, either! That said, I agree about the smart tabs being worth a look if there is room to install them correctly...I've read lots of positive reviews about the product as well as strong company support.

Definitely not a common occurrence. Tohatsu would warranty it cause they said it was modified from factory. Although it did not crack through bolt holes. Said no other claims had been made. MSS would not warranty either. Wanted me to pay $795 to have my guts installed into a new lower case. I just had it welded. I still will never install one again. Doelfin wouldn't warranty cause they said the screws were overtightened. Not possible being there are rubber washers on the bottom that weren't blown out. I would say overtightening would cause cracking around the holes. Got my smart tabs in. Been working on getting them installed and tested.

I broke one of the small clevises on the smart tab. Brass insert broke in half. Nauticus is sending me new ones no questions asked.

Yeah, eager for a report on how they work out for you. I may even install some on mine if they give you a significantly better ride.

My boat isn't much smaller than yours and I have a 20 hp Yamaha and can cruise at 21mph and get on step instantly. I could only get about 10 mph and never on step before I put a hydrofoil though. I use the hell outta my boat and have never even heard of someone breaking a plate off just because they installed a hydrofoil

Bronco,

The other part that has not been discussed so far is your prop pitch. I have a Tohatsu 50 TLDI and it literally POPS my Futura MK III, console steering, and 34gallongs of fuel up onto plane. It will also put that Futura up to 31mph at WOT and 5300rpms--not bad for an inflatable. I have put three adults (700lbs), two kids (180lbs), fishing gear and a full load of camping gear (?250lbs?) into that same rig and had ZERO complaints about getting up onto step right away. There's an angle to the dangle of the engine problem, a prop problem or the need for a hydrofoil. I have the Doelfin on there and have seen five good years of service without a singular problem...hope that the smart tabs iron out these issues for you.

IceKing02

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast