Thread: Late October hunting DC483?

Default Late October hunting DC483?

Just looking for some advice on unit 13 in late October for Caribou. I drew the DC483, but I will not be back from Afghanistan until early-mid October. Never Caribou hunted before and will be my last chance before the Army says I have to leave AK. Is there usually a lot of snow up there that time of year? I see that they closed it around the 28th of October last year also. Any advice or someone else heading up that late to hunt? I have my 4 wheeler if it would be useful that time of year. Just looking for any info I can find. Thanks Guys!

Lots of information out there. For starters, check out this thread .. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...caribou-thread

By that time of year the caribou will be herding up and starting to move into migration mode. Two years ago during that timeframe the hunting was excellent in the Paxson area. People did very well by setting up in travel corridors and having the caribou move through towards them. As for snow, there's no telling - it could be just a light dusting that is fine for ATVs or it could be only workable by snowmachine. During the opening week of the winter season two years ago most people were using ATVS, while by the 3rd week it was a snowmachine-only affair for those hunting off the road.

The only other thing to note is that large bulls may have a pretty strong, gamey taste that time of year. The further you get out after October 20th the better they'll be. They're not unpalatable then, but it might be more appropriate meat for sausage and hot dogs than burgers or steaks.

With the large quota this year, I'd like to think the Oct season will be a go. Sure hope so for your sake, like to see you be able to take advantage and not miss the chance due to your service (which is greatly appreciated!)

And I wouldn't be too worried about the palitability of a bull then, I've had several medium sized bulls from Oct. hunts that were just fine. Brian is right though in that the biggest/baddest bulls could be iffy.

I'd just wait till just before the season reopens and see where the bou are at and what the conditions (snow) are then. Too hard to guess this early. Good luck!

With the large quota this year the season will definetly be opening for the winter hunt. Typically plan to hunt on the eastern part of the Denalli or on the Richardson that time of year. Often times near summit or paxson lake as mentioned. Snow conditions are a crap shoot, but generally if you make it close to the opener on the 20th of October there shouldn't be to much snow for your 4 wheeler. Also if your lookin for a trophy type animal you'll want to hunt as close to the beginning as possible. I've shot big bald headed bulls as early as Oct 22nd. So the big guys start losing their antlers quick. I've never shot a bull that wasn't edible during that time of year, but some definetly can be more of a sausage type mean instead of burger and roasts like Brian said. Good luck and thanks for your service!
    Mike

Keep in mind that your tag is not limited to the DC483 boundaries for this season. Hopefully that information will open more opportunities for you. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ses.pr07312012

Thread's on similar subjects abound. Here's a link to a newer one.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...17#post1167517

Akmike beat me to it. I shot a tasty little bull on the winter season opener. He was running with a cow and moved with some swag but the meat was fine except for being SO lean. The next day was spent doing some wingshooting and on the way back to camp we met a fella from Delta on his federal subsistence hunt. He dropped a TANK of a bull that was sans antlers. We helped him load it in a sled and drag it off the lake and up a steep slope so we could load it in his truck. Helluva guy, he sacrificed 2 of his 3 German specialty beers to a couple Denali Hwy rookies. Great interaction with a fellow sportsman.
    Go Big Red!