Thread: Kenai River Update

Default Kenai River Update

Went down this week for four days. The river is open at the Cooper Landing Bridge. No luck here, as it was the wrong time of day I suppose. Saw two flocks of Wild Turkeys near Skilak Road. About 15 in all. Went on to Bings Landing. A few small rainbows. One girl caught a 31 inch Rainbow with a 20 inch girth, below the sand dunes and Bings. Nice fish. Lots of debris in the river from the flood. I just imagine there will be more as the water rises and washes out the rest that is piled up on the banks. Oh, and we had four caribou walk up on us in the parking lot. Largest bodied caribou I have ever seen. Saw what appeared to be three salmon in one hole, likely silvers due to their size and appearance, very worn out. Quite a few new NO TRESSPASSING signs, since I was there last time. sigh All the lakes were still froze up tight. Spoke with a group that fished Morgans Landing, and they had gotten a bunch of Dollies. One was 22 inches but real snaky looking, like an eel.

Did you see wild turkeys or were you maybe drinking it??? I have had phesant (spelling?) in my driveway a couple of times....I think they were some that escaped from a canned hunt out Funny River Road. I fed them through the fall but either they left or were eaten by something. I wonder if wild turkeys would survive if there was feed for them? maybe this should move to the hunting forum!

He DID see turkeys there. There was a guy in Cooper landing that had a raised a bunch. then a guy in Sterling near the old pig farm took some of the Cooper laning turkeys for his own raising. Well, he wasn't able to keep them from running and flying around so you guessed it......... it is open season on Turkeys but since they are in the Skilak management area you can only take them with a bow.

That would make them tame turkeys running wild.

Sounds like there might be a video series there - "Turkeys Gone Wild"

Thanks for the report.What pattern's were the rainbows hitting?

good to hear there's some fly fishing to be had out there. i also am wondering if the trout were hitting egg patterns or smolt? or something else? thanks again for the report.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

My limited success was on small #8 nymphs, as that was all I tried. The big fish referenced caught by the gal upstream from where I was fishing, was using plugs and back trolling them from a drift boat. Water was extremely clear and ccccold. The fish were deep in the holes. The holes were very distinct and easy to determine where the fish would be holding. I think this is absolutely the best time of year to get out and make mental notes of the river channels and holes. This information is priceless, later in the year as the water level rises and disquises the real good places to focus on.

well i have never fly fished but i would like to get down there and try some rainbow fishing. Is there any hope for a regular rod and reel? if so what should i use and where..... i still find the regulations confusing. any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by gokorn1; 04-20-2007 at 23:29.

Default got out today.....

WE fished the Big-K today put in at a privet launch in Sterling and pulled out in Soldotna, lots of flood ice way up on the bank at least 15 ft with docks and walkways wrapped in it ( ruin). Man you donít know just how bad it is till you float it. I flew over it a couple of day ago but till you row down it WOW. Will try and post some picís in the AM but itís late. Did release a nice 29Ē RainBow .

At this link http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ead.php?t=4495 is a picture of the turkeys I saw in the same area last summer. There were at least 17 in the picture.

Default Kenai ice damage

Hope pictures turn out been having some computer problems. Lots of damage from the flood, the pullout was alitle hairy but over all a good trip.
    Last edited by fishook; 07-24-2007 at 12:06.

Default Kenai river

Woops forgot the fun stuff.
    Last edited by fishook; 07-24-2007 at 12:06.

boy that water is clear
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Yes I was surprised it was that clear because of all the melting going on.