Thread: Russian River in Oct?

Default Russian River in Oct?

So I'm hoping to get up to the Kenai the first 2 weeks of Oct and would like to setup at the Russian River. Is the campground still open at that time? What's the deal with camping there if they're no longer manning the gate? Only thing I've ever done there was fish there a couple times last Sept. I'm going up to hunt black bears and fish, I know there area and it's a pretty central location for my plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    So I'm hoping to get up to the Kenai the first 2 weeks of Oct and would like to setup at the Russian River. Is the campground still open at that time? What's the deal with camping there if they're no longer manning the gate? Only thing I've ever done there was fish there a couple times last Sept. I'm going up to hunt black bears and fish, I know there area and it's a pretty central location for my plans.
    Rumor has it the NPS put a ban on tenters for quite sometime, maybe the rest of the year.
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Tents and popup campers are banned untill 15 september...That is when they shut the water down and pull the dumpsters and nobody is at the gate. They will leave a couple loops open there untill the snow flies. The same with Quartz and cooper creek
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

FYI, that campground is managed by the US Forest Service not NPS.

The USFS web site listing campgrounds and related info is http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/chug...=4832&actid=29

Abel, it might be 40 miles the wrong direction, but if it fits your Peninsula recreation plans, Kenai Fjords National Park has a 12-site, park-and-walk-in campground at Exit Glacier. It's free and designed for tent camping. 422-0500 is the park info number to check on closing dates. http://www.nps.gov/kefj/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

Thanks guys. I think Exit is out of the question, a little far from where I really want to be, and my pup goes everywhere (getting on float plane with me tomorrow for a goat hunt), looks like they don't allow dogs there. I migh setup at Cooper instead, maybe a few less bears in there than the Russian, maybe.

so call me maybe