Thread: lighted lures

Default lighted lures

Anybody tried lights on your lures, waste of money or not?

I did....but the high beam/ low beam switch was too small for my fingers.

Last summer in the Gustavus area, fishing for Halibut down to 300', I used both snap and shake light stix and flashy LEDs on the spreader......I don't think the fish were too impressed. They came for the meal, not the light show.

I gave them a good chance, and they didn't produce a lot of the time when other things were working well. Even when the fish were on glo-in-the-dark rubber tails, the electrics came in second whether in deep water or shallow. Dunno. The idea may have promise for some fish in some locations, but I'm not inspired to buy the current technology for my locations.

I think they are made to catch fishermen and not fish !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I think they are made to catch fishermen and not fish !!
    Sure caught this one.

I'm the kind of guy that would try water melon rind just to see if a fish would hit it. I'll surely try any new versions that come along, but I won't spend any money on stuff I already tried and passed.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Sure caught this one.

I'm the kind of guy that would try water melon rind just to see if a fish would hit it. I'll surely try any new versions that come along, but I won't spend any money on stuff I already tried and passed.
    So did the watermelon rind work?

Quote Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
    So did the watermelon rind work?
    Actually, yes! We were dinking with black rockfish and they were hitting anything in the water. Bet a buddy I could do it, so I cut some skinny strips kinda like rigid plastic worms and pinned one on a 2 oz jig head. Whap! He paid up, once he quit laughing. Tried bigger strip for halibut when they weren't hitting anything else, and no dice on the rind. Only proves it wasn't a magic cure.... That day!

A buddy of mine from Fairbanks gave me 5 of those small water activated lights, We were down in Homer in June on my boat for our annual meat run. Now I want you guys to know up front that I do not sell these lights nor do I have any other agenda. But that first day that I tried the lights we caught two nice fish a #167(you can see the photo on the derby web site),#70, the next day my wife caught a #46 and a#43. Then on the 4th of July I used them out of Whittier and my wife caught a #120, and on the 29th of July again out of whittier one of my co-workers caught a#150 in the same spot. I will continue to use the lights.

Didn't work for me fishing shallow water in yakutat. Did better on bait and big green jigs. Maybe they might have a use in really deep water (300'+). Best halibut jig I've ever used pix below with two small glow sticks:Halibutjigabout12incheslong.jpg
    I'll hold on to my Bible & my Guns, you can keep the change!!!

Tight lines, how is the weight rigged on that? 3-way swivel further up?

Default lighted lures

Crappie love lights. Used to use a giant fluorescent light in NY and would wait for them to start a swarm and bam limited!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Surfcaster Extraordinaire (Personal Records)
    Sand Shark 5'2" 68lbs
    Halibut 128lbs
    Musky 42" 18lbs

My problem is I introduce too many variables when I change gear up. Different tides, time of year, depths, baits. I do seem to get more bites on glow stuff. But then again, my buddy fishes next to me with that plain old silver Gibbs Cod Jig with no bait, and pulls as many as I do.

Five of us fished out of Homer last month with three of us using the water activated blinking lights. The three of us outfished the other two 5:1. Not sure if it was the lights or just dumb luck.?
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaFishTerminator View Post
    My problem is I introduce too many variables when I change gear up. Different tides, time of year, depths, baits. I do seem to get more bites on glow stuff. But then again, my buddy fishes next to me with that plain old silver Gibbs Cod Jig with no bait, and pulls as many as I do.
    I would have too agree. It is hard ro do a good test as there are so many variables.
    I will say I did not have much luck using lights for halibut. Or should I say they did not outperform standard rigs fished side by side. I also believe in a good Halibut spot anything will catch fish. It seems that things like the lights are really only going to help if you are in a spot and not catching Halibut and you are trying to draw them in.
    A lot of the spots I fish out of Homer are pretty good producers where we catch fish consistently so I don't think they are warranted there.
    I also tried them last winter for burbot. In three days of fishing the lighted set lost two baits but caught no fish. Several other baits caught fish right next to this one. But then again it did have the bait stolen overnight so who knows. Apparently it did not scare the Burbot off anyway. This was a water activated blinking light.
    I have heard they work good for Crappie but I have yet to catch a Crappie here in AK.lol
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Have been skunked before trying to use the lights earlier in the season, but this weekend it was the key for the few Halibut we caught. It was the only one catching Halibut while everything else we could not get through the Lings and Yelloweye.
    TIGHT LINES...ALASKA!!
    2005 Trophy Pro 2359
    "Nut-N-Honey"

I was in the business with that product for over 5 years; a submersible LED battery operated pulsing light. During that period I saw this device and others (water activated pulsating lights) improve dramatically. I even did controlled testing. (two presentations in the same spot, one presentation with lights, one without) Catch ratios with lights were at a 3:1 margin.

I sold that business three years ago to an accountant who has a side business in fishing lures and he added it to his product line. Those lures are still selling and still catching. That's eight years of measurement.

Anyone has a right to an opinion. Mine is based on experience. I would endorse any light activated pulsating fishing lure in a heartbeat...

Rosenberg; Kodiak, AK / Sarasota, FL
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Quote Originally Posted by kbarnes View Post
    Anybody tried lights on your lures, waste of money or not?
    Not exactly a "light" in the strictest sense, but I use "glo" lures all the time and they sure don't seem to inhibit my catch rate. In fact some of the best fish I've ever caught (26 lb. winter king and 150 lb. halibut are two examples) were caught on "glo" attractors: the king on a "glo" Tsunami squid, and the butt on a "glo" Gibbs/Delta "monster" skirt. I can not actually prove that they are the thing that made those fish bite, but it sure didn't make them NOT bite. I use them all the time now.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

A little off subject.......BUT. Everyone should try reading last Fridays Peninsula Clarion newspaper. writer "par excolance" Les Palmer wrote an article named "fisherman vs fussers" He described a mutual friends setups while fishing the Seward Silver Derby. Made a good point. Wish I knew how to post a link. Come on 4merguide help me out!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    A little off subject.......BUT. Everyone should try reading last Fridays Peninsula Clarion newspaper. writer "par excolance" Les Palmer wrote an article named "fisherman vs fussers" He described a mutual friends setups while fishing the Seward Silver Derby. Made a good point. Wish I knew how to post a link. Come on 4merguide help me out!!!!!!
    Gee, what a difficult thing to learn how to do. Go to the link, copy the address for it, then paste the address in your message. Pretty simple!

For example: http://peninsulaclarion.com/outdoors...keep-it-simple
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    For the less than savy computer users. To post a link, right click on the address, select "copy" then when you are at the point to where you are ready to post it, right click again and select "paste"
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation