Thread: choke tube won't come out

Default choke tube won't come out

Hello, Benelli, SBE 12 gage. I clean it several times a season, but tonight, realized that in my cleaning, I havn't been taking the choke tube out for a wipe down. Now I can't seem to get it out, looks like a bit of rust around the edge. Any ideas for removal or gunsmith to suggest. Bud
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    Hello, Benelli, SBE 12 gage. I clean it several times a season, but tonight, realized that in my cleaning, I havn't been taking the choke tube out for a wipe down. Now I can't seem to get it out, looks like a bit of rust around the edge. Any ideas for removal or gunsmith to suggest. Bud
    Good luck! I had the same problem with my Benelli. I took it to WWG to see if they could help. They had to order a special extraction tool and my barrel broke the tool. In the end, it had to be sent to Briley and machined out. I think it ended up costing me about $150 to get it removed. I think a guy would be better off calling it his "duck barrel" and getting a separate barrel and not letting it happen again! I tried soaking it in Kroil, brake cleaner, etc., to no avail. Maybe you'll have better luck or someone can offer up a solution, but mine had to be machined out because WWG and Briley couldn't get it out...

I've had luck with an easy out tool, though the choke is usually ruined. Pad the barrel in a vise and easy out it, if it won't come out with hand pressure then machining or cutting it out is the only way.
    As suggested, get a new barrel or consider that on "fixed choke".
    The choke is usually softer than the barrel, however barrels will spilt with not alot of pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by DoughNut View Post
    I've had luck with an easy out tool, though the choke is usually ruined. .
    Do they even make a EZ out that big, never seen one, i can take a look today at AIH. Also, are there any gunsmiths in the valley or anchorage that have the specialized tool for removing the choke tube that is refered to in earlier post. Bud
    Wasilla

I got mine at a hardware store, I live in Georgia now.
    Brownells used to catalog one, not sure if they still do or not, but, basically, it's an easy out!