Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: insanity...or idiots I've hunted with

Talking insanity...or idiots I've hunted with

I was telling some friends the other day this story I thought I'd share with you folks. Just prior to 911, we had finished a goose hunting trip in Texas and was waiting in line at the Houston airport ticket counter prior to boarding, when a lady approached and ask if we follow her to an area behind a partitioned wall. She wanted to inspect our shotguns to make sure they were unloaded, so we followed her and laid our gun cases on a table. We all opened them and she checked them and the last bozo picked his up and pulled the bolt back, and out pops a 31/2 mag live shell that hits the table, rolls onto the floor and out into the ticket counter area. Talk about everything happening in slow motion...an eternity. As I was flying into an unforgetable rage saying shucks and darn, he racks out two more live ones. I could see us spending time in the Houston clink, when this lady (probably more unbelievable than the live rounds in an international airport) laughed, said no big deal and then commented that she was raised on a farm, around guns, etc. Smiling, she let us leave. Can you imagine that happening now? And no, that guy is no longer welcome in the circle. Any other dumb stunts you can share with us...top the one above and win a prize?

Mark

Yup. Seen things like that personally.

A few years ago I read of a 338 Mag going off in the baggage loading area of an airport terminal. I think it was in Anchorage.

I imagine that caused some embarrassment.

Talking An old way of unloading a rifle...

NOthing that public. One time after deer hunting, my cousin jumped in his truck and was about to head home. He then realized that he had stowed his 30.06 loaded in his case. No problem, just unzipped and reached for the ejection button and BOOM!!! Oops! Brand new Ford pickup with a nice venting hole right through the floorboards. A nice little character trait!

When I was 15 I had an Ithica 20 gauge shotgun. I loaded it up in my living room and was walking to the door with the barrel pointed at the ceiling. Without thinking I squeezed the trigger and left a 2" hole in my parents tongue and groove wood ceiling. I walked outside and there was a 6" hole in the metal roof.... I thought my Dad was gonna kill me. He didn't have to, I almost died from shame!

I had a friend in highschool that wasn't raised around guns at all. My Dad kept all the guns in the house loaded, and one day my friend thought it would be cool to grab my Dad's pistol by the back door and walk outside with it. I was standing on the back porch when he walked up pointed the gun in my face from about 5 feet and squeezed the trigger. I don't know how he missed me, all I can say is I believe in "Divine Intervention!"

- Clint

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacajun View Post
    When I was 15 I had an Ithica 20 gauge shotgun. I loaded it up in my living room and was walking to the door with the barrel pointed at the ceiling. Without thinking I squeezed the trigger and left a 2" hole in my parents tongue and groove wood ceiling. I walked outside and there was a 6" hole in the metal roof.... I thought my Dad was gonna kill me. He didn't have to, I almost died from shame!

I had a friend in highschool that wasn't raised around guns at all. My Dad kept all the guns in the house loaded, and one day my friend thought it would be cool to grab my Dad's pistol by the back door and walk outside with it. I was standing on the back porch when he walked up pointed the gun in my face from about 5 feet and squeezed the trigger. I don't know how he missed me, all I can say is I believe in "Divine Intervention!"

- Clint
    lol that was funny reading

Talking Idiot #2

Cajun, You're livin right! That brings me to idiot #2. We were horse packed into the mountains one year, and I always insist the no one comes into camp with a loaded gun...basta, finito, no exceptions! Well, we were leaving camp one morning at 4am and as we started off, I asked "Butch" if his gun was unloaded...I don't exactly know why, but as he said he was sure it was, he touched the bolt, and it fired two feet from my ear, and again I flew into my infamous rage, cursing and yelling. It seems that the sear was worn and slight pressure would fire it, but it didn't excuse having it loaded, and when I got my hearing back(about two days), I finally spoke to him, still cussing him out. I'll guarantee that's a lesson he won't forget.

Default Muskrat hunting

My brother-in-law told me a story that happened about 15 years back, he invited the nephew of a school teacher to go hunting muskrats with him. The boy’s uncle agreed, he was pretty thrilled about the idea of his nephew going out hunting with one of the locals and getting some hunting experience. The boy was familiar with shooting rifles and shotguns but had very limited experience with actual hunting. His uncle loaned him his 22 cal rifle to use for the trip. Well my brother-in-law and the boy boated up to the usual places on the river where you can find muskrats (sloughs, side channels, beaver ponds, etc.) and over the course of the afternoon they spotted a few muskrats but the boy kept missing his shots, finally he hit a muskrat. My brother-in law motored his skiff along side the muskrat so the boy could pick it up and when they got close he told the boy to grab it by the tail. The boy reached over the side and grabbed the tail and dropped it in the bottom of the skiff. The muskrat rolled over onto his legs and started scurrying around the bottom of the boat. The boy was got so freaked out that he grabbed his 22 cal rifle and shot at the muskrat, missing his shot. My brother-in-law was so pissed off that he killed the muskrat with a stick and then brought the boy straight home. That was the first and last time anyone here in town ever invited the boy to go out hunting with them. The boy’s uncle was a little disappointed with his nephew, to say the least.

Default My last day as a guide

Many years ago I used to do guided pig hunts with dogs in Ca. We had one nimrod that insisted he pack his grandaddys cocked and locked .45. We explained it could be a frantic chase through thick brush but there was no argueing with this guy.

The dogs end up baying a 250 boar (with 3" cutters) in a shallow stream bed and this guy gets flustered and starts waving that pistol around fixing to kill one of the dogs. My buddy yells "Give me the gun!" and the guy swings the pistol up and points it right in my buds face. My bud ducks and grabs the pistol with his finger pinched between the hammer and the frame.

I am still surprised that guy made it back out to the truck that day.

My dad, uncle, and I were hunting hatchers pass for grouse about 10 years ago. My dad and I with our marlin 22's and my uncle with his bow. Abut 30 minutes into the hunt we heard 2 reports from my uncles 44 sidearm. We were obviously concerned and cautiously made our way to the sound of the shots. My uncle came out of a draw with a discusted look on his face. He had missed a grouse with all three of his fluflu arrows and twice with his 44 mag at a distance of about 10 feet. His third round from the 44 was a miss load and only had a primer with no powder. The bullet was caught between the cylinder and the barrel locking up the weapon. As my dad and him are talking I wonder down into the draw and after a few minutes my shot rang followed by the sound of wings beating the earth as the bird expired. To insult to injury my dad looks at my allready disgusted uncle and with a smirk says "1 shot 1 kill" needless to say my uncle (who is a very accomplished hunter) made a beeline for the vehicle to retrieve his 10/22.

Not a hunting story, not firsthand, but still worth remembering.

Hunter ed instructor loans shotgun to buddy. Buddy returns shotgun. Instructor brings shotgun to next hunter ed class. Instructor racks the slide to demonstrate the action and a live shell falls out on the floor.

Told to our hunter ed class by the guy who supervises hunter ed instructors, and who "used to" supervise the one in question . . .

Talking Idiot #3 & 4

When I was in college, I was invited on a hunt, and during the first morning it started out bluebird weather, but by 10am, there was over a foot of snow on the ground and still snowing. Everyone was in a full bore linear panic...the main guru said leave everything, including guns, in a tent and get in the jeep that hauled outta there. They couldn't get back to the gear and bring it out until sometime later, and they had a classmate bring it back with him to college. Before I picked it up, he started playing with it and pointing it at his friends and joking around. It was a 6.5 Swedish Mauser, and when he took it off safety and lifted the bolt, it came flying back, ejecting a live round. I don't know if that joke was ever over...hence started my policy of no loaded guns in camp. So idiot #3 was me for leaving a live round in chamber, even if it was on safety, and #4, the jokester. It's not a wonder why I don't have friends...I surround myself with idiots. Now that's shock reality!

Default No No No

While this story isn't about a hunting accident is does have to do with observation.

Back in 1987, I worked in a gun shop which sold Class lll weapons. One day a biker looking dude comes in a buys a box of 45 acp ammo and leaves the store, going to his vehicle. A few minutes later he returns and walks over to the gun rack. He then removes the magazine from a Tommy gun and starts to load 45acp rounds into it. Just as he loads his last round into the magazine, I draw my Colt Gold Cup and tell him IF he puts the magazine in the rifle I'll shoot him. Turning around, to face me and my Colt, he asks why would I do that he was only checking to see if the bullets would fit the gun? It was almost a costly mistake on his part, I didn't feel like getting shot with my own gun.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    While this story isn't about a hunting accident is does have to do with observation.

Back in 1987, I worked in a gun shop which sold Class lll weapons. One day a biker looking dude comes in a buys a box of 45 acp ammo and leaves the store, going to his vehicle. A few minutes later he returns and walks over to the gun rack. He then removes the magazine from a Tommy gun and starts to load 45acp rounds into it. Just as he loads his last round into the magazine, I draw my Colt Gold Cup and tell him IF he puts the magazine in the rifle I'll shoot him. Turning around, to face me and my Colt, he asks why would I do that he was only checking to see if the bullets would fit the gun? It was almost a costly mistake on his part, I didn't feel like getting shot with my own gun.
    what a psycho, im glad it worked out for you

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    .....Back in 1987, I worked in a gun shop which sold Class lll weapons. One day a biker looking dude comes in a buys a box of 45 acp ammo and leaves the store, going to his vehicle. A few minutes later he returns and walks over to the gun rack. He then removes the magazine from a Tommy gun and starts to load 45acp rounds into it. Just as he loads his last round into the magazine, I draw my Colt Gold Cup and tell him IF he puts the magazine in the rifle I'll shoot him.....
    Perfect reaction.

Turning around, to face me and my Colt, he asks why would I do that he was only checking to see if the bullets would fit the gun?
    The amazing part of that story is that he may not have been lying, and may very well be that dim.

That certainly wouldn't be the kind of person I'd be real excited about selling an automatic Thompson to.

My favorite: older guy goes bird hunting with lifetime friend. Bird flys up and old guy accidently shoots buddy in face, I can't remember where I heard about this...

Default Nope

The amazing part of that story is that he may not have been lying, and may very well be that dim.

That certainly wouldn't be the kind of person I'd be real excited about selling an automatic Thompson to.[/quote]

After he regained his color, he unloaded the magazine on the counter and left very quietly. I seriously doubt he could have passed Federal the background check.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Idiots aplenty

I didn't necessarily hunt with them, but I've seen lots of idiots:

Idiot 1: A friend and I were shooting at the NRA Whittington Center Range in New Mexico. (Great place. Go, if you ever get the chance.) There was a guy a few stations down from us on the rifle sight-in range. He's shooting a really ornate Weatherby .340, carved and engraved, with a very nice, matching, heavy duty leather case. He finishes shooting, gets up and packs his things. Slides the rifle in the case with the muzzle pointed toward the ground between his feet and blows a two-foot-deep crater in the earth. Nice case is in ribbons and the guy's lucky he's not dead. He looks around surreptitiously as though to see if maybe we hadn't noticed, and continues packing up! Never says a word. Gets in his car and leaves. We're 30 feet away and staring wide eyed. He was one of the most embarrassed humans I've ever seen. Very funny now; the near death aspect kind of dampened the humor at the time.

Idiot 2: Antelope hunting on public land in Wyoming in the 90s and I wounded a doe. She's anchored and sick, but still standing. My buddy and I are closing in to finish her. There's a large hill off to one side and shots start coming from the top at my animal. Like a military assault. Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, dirt flying all around her. We're ducking, trying to see what the hell is going on, and wondering if we just blundered into a coup of some kind. A teenager runs off the hill shooting at my antelope. We're in the line of fire. We let him close in to get ahead of us. He's shooting all the while. We slowly and cautiously head toward him. He clearly sees us and is trying to cut us off. At 30 yards, he fires his 14th shot (with a bolt action rifle, mind you) and turns around to me: "That was my last shell." My buddy's response: "I'm glad of that." The doe is shot to pieces. He hit her numerous places, none fatal, and she's still alive. I walk up and finish her with my revolver. We stare at the kid, speechless. He's about 16. His entire comment: "I don't know what happened. I got my buck with one shot." We turned around and walked away without a word.

Idiots 3&4: Also antelope hunting in Wyoming. Hunting partner and I are driving on a county road, dirt, but still an official road with lots of traffic. We top a hill, see a puff of dirt in front of us, and an antelope buck runs past. We hear the crack of a shot and see two morons about a hundred yards in front of us jump in their truck and hightail it out of there. They had stopped in the middle of the road and shot at this animal on a blind hill in the direction of oncoming traffic. The puff of dirt we saw was the bullet, hitting about 50 feet in front our truck. They never thought to check on the buck (he wasn't injured) and got out of town when they knew they were caught. We were pretty mad and considered chasing them, but it probably would have ended in a gun battle. The road was Dixon Road. We changed the spelling (Dicksin Road, figure it out) and the incident became part of our hunting lore.

Idiot 5: As children, 12 and 13, my cousin and I were on a Christmas tree cutting trip with my mom. We used to go out into the country and hack down a tree. We brought along shotguns because it was deer season. We're driving Mom's old Buick along a country road and my cousin has his 20-gauge pump on the seat with the muzzle pointed to the floor. For some reason he decides it's time to load it. In one smooth motion, he slides a couple of rounds into the magazine, jacks the pump and blows an inch-wide hole through the floorboard. Took out the right front tire. My Mom said a very long and very creative and very original bad word, mixing "gas tank" into the middle of it. A guy in a Ford truck came along and offered to help but Mom was a little annoyed and we just limped home on the rim. We didn't get a tree or a deer that day. Decades later, my cousin still swears he didn't touch that trigger.

Idiot 6: I'm about 14 years old and at a local turkey shoot. A prominent local gunsmith from town is there, planning to shoot a double-barrel, muzzleloading 10-gauge in the skeet competition. I think this is pretty cool and stand by to watch such an awesome and unusual weapon in the hands of this noted shooter. He unpacks the gun and walks up to the line with it. Generally, you pop a couple of caps with a muzzleloader to clear oil and dust out of it before loading. The guys puts caps on the nipples and points it toward the ground at his feet and yeah, you guessed it. Both barrels. It was rocky ground but you still could have dropped a bowling ball into the hole. He says: "I guess that shows how long you can leave one of these things loaded. I haven't picked up this gun since turkey season last year." He never has lived that one down. There was a certain impressionable 14-year old there who won two turkeys and three chickens that day, with zero accidental discharges.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    My favorite: older guy goes bird hunting with lifetime friend. Bird flys up and old guy accidently shoots buddy in face, I can't remember where I heard about this...
    lol thats a classic...

When I was about 13 or so, my dad took me out pheasant hunting. I had an old sears and roebuck double barrel 20ga shot gun. I placed some shells in it and when I closed it, both shells went off, nearly taking my dad’s foot off as I went flying backwards into the dirt!

Well, my dad he was a cus'in and a yell'in at me because he thought I had my fingers on the triggers. He snatched that shot gun from me and he placed two shells in and almost shot off the other foot!

It so happens that the firing pins were stuck out. We took it to a gun smith and he said it would cost more to fix it than what the gun was worth.

My dad still apologizes to me for that, but it made me realize how important gun safety is and that there is no such thing as "accidentally shooting yourself while cleaning your gun." That just plain ignorance!

I taught both my sons gun safety and actually went to a gun safety course with them. Good dad and sons time. I do miss those times with my dad!
    Last edited by AKBassking; 04-18-2007 at 16:49. Reason: fixed wording

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default Ice fishing with a 20ga

When I was in high school a bunch of us decided one winter to head out to the coast to a popular ice fishing area to jig for some smelt. When we arrived to the little Cove there were a lot of folks already there jigging. After asking around we found out that the ice was about 4 ft thick, so we started chopping a hole in the ice with a borrowed ice pick. We were all taking turns, when it came to switching out, one of our friends decided he would rather shoot through the last foot of ice with his 20 ga shotgun. Everyone told him that it would be too dangerous and advised him not too. He being stubborn would not take our advice. As we were watching he put his goggles on, loaded his shotgun, stepped over the hole and we all stepped back. He looked at all of us and smiled then he squeezed the trigger. To all of our surprise the backwash of water, ice and slush came out of that hole so fast that his upper body was just covered. He looked over to us water and slush dripping off of his head and upper body and said; see I told you I could shoot through the ice.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast