Thread: Outboard Theft artical

Default Outboard Theft artical

These people need to be shot on site

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/48807908/n...-anchorage_ak/

By Chris Klint KTUU-TV

updated less than 1 minute ago

Anchorage police are investigating dozens of outboard motor thefts this summer, with some of the stolen goods subsequently being listed for resale on the Internet.
    APD spokesperson Lt. Dave Parker says more than 25 thefts have occurred since May and are continuing through this month, at locations in both Anchorage and Eagle River.
    Many of the auxiliary "kicker" motors are being sold with damaged or removed serial numbers, as well as cut wiring and fuel lines or other indicators of theft. Parker says a small ring of thieves is apparently taking the motors from parked boats, while leaving behind main engines that are too heavy or difficult to quickly remove.
    "Motors are often stolen unbeknownst to the motor owners," Parker said.
    Once the outboards are taken, they're often listed for sale on websites like Craigslist. Buyers who respond to the ads are typically told to meet the sellers at a public parking lot. While a man often answers initial inquiries, a woman often shows up at the exchange and claims her boyfriend couldn't make it.
    According to Parker, it's unlawful in Alaska to tamper with or remove serial numbers, or possess items whose serial numbers have been tampered with or removed. Anyone offered such an item should never buy it, and instead immediately contact police.
    Parker says people should be on alert for both motor thefts and the sale of stolen motors, given the number of cases this summer.
    "These people are pretty prolific," Parker said.
    APD Detective Sherry Price would like to speak with anyone who has responded to an outboard-motor ad since the thefts began and had concerns about the legitimacy of the items offered for sale. She can be reached at 786-8846.

Write down Serial Number & take a photo, it worked for me, my 25 Honda was stolen a year later I saw it on a boat, called the cops, followed him till he stopped, called cops again. No one came, so I stood on the street till one passed by, flagged him over, this was directly across from thier shop on Tudor. Told him about motor, he went and looked at it came back said yes sounds like it. He detained the two guys till I went home and got photo & serial number. Bingo proved it was mine, took it off there boat and went home.

Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I'd love to see the video that the guy took of the gal who tried to sell him the stolen motor. I hope she doesn't just get a slap on the wrists.

a little break in the case.. i like it

Glad to see some progress being mad in this case.
    I like that the guy made sure to get some video of her right off the bat. Before she got suspicious or anything. Smart thinking.
    I hope they use her as an example and throw the book at her so anyone else thinking of doing this thinks twice before stealing any more.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Admit thieves are pretty evil people. But just keep your insurance premiums up to date and don't get stressed out about minor crap like this. Boat insurance is pretty cheap and you can also insure your extra's such as kickers and fishing gear. Write a check once a year and they pay for what is stolen.

Default They? Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Money Pit View Post
    they pay for what is stolen.
    They? You mean the insurance companies? Take another look and this time pay attention to whose money they're using to pay that with and you'll see who is really paying.

Quote Originally Posted by Money Pit View Post
    Admit thieves are pretty evil people. But just keep your insurance premiums up to date and don't get stressed out about minor crap like this. Boat insurance is pretty cheap and you can also insure your extra's such as kickers and fishing gear. Write a check once a year and they pay for what is stolen.
    Couldn't disagree with you more. But the thieves love your positive attitude.

What other choice do you have other than not pay for insurance and then suck up the entire theft? We can agree to disagree but that is what insurance is for. Pretty cheap to insure a boat for a year up here. Last one I sold was insured for about $65K which included the extras and the premium only ran about $550 a year.
    At least for me that is pretty cheap for my peace of mind.
    Cheers.

I think the point is that you shouldn't have to suck it up. It shouldn't be happening in the first place, and the people who are doing it should be stopped and punished. At least that's the way I look at it.

You've got no argument from me on that MP. I have many insurance policies of my own; I don't believe that was the point.

My point was that insurance companies don't pay for anyone's loss; they just let us that are the most insured pay for any insured person's losses (minus their "cut"). Sorry I didn't make that clearer. And... what was your point again?

We all insure our boats to protect against losses, but when there are bigger losses our rates will go up up up. I firmly believe they should throw the book at these people. Lock em up.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I say put them on the ghost ship VICTORIA and send them out to sea!! Why should we pay to lock them up.

Christian Garreau expected to spend the day exploring the Alaska wilderness with a friend who was visiting from France. The friend wanted to see some bears, and Garreau decided Nikolai Creek near Tustumena Lake was the perfect spot.
    They traversed the lake in Garreau’s 15-foot Zodiac boat. When the men reached their destination, they greeted another boatman on shore — who, with a friend, were the only people at the other side of Tustumena Lake — and continued toward the creek. Upon returning from an hour of fishing, Garreau discovered his boat’s motor and a portable gas tank had been stolen.
    They were stranded.
    Theft of boat motors is a fairly common occurrence during the summer, according to a Kenai National Wildlife Refuge officer. Leaving passers-by stranded on a dangerous lake is another matter, however. The theft of Garreau’s motor is still under investigation, and it’s unknown if the theft is connected to a rash of missing boat motors in the Anchorage area.
    It was Sunday about three weeks ago. Garreau said it wasn’t a typical Alaska day, as the sun shined and winds were nonexistent. The men set out with little else but the necessities: two fishing poles and a firearm for wildlife protection.
    Garreau said he had visited Nikolai Creek many times. He likes the area because of its beauty, its peaceful calm. He prefers the area during the late silver run, too.
    The trip began as planned, and the two friends reached Tustumena’s southwestern bank. Garreau spotted two men who had their boat anchored on the bank; one man sat in front of a campfire. Garreau exchanged pleasantries with the man who slurred his words and was probably intoxicated, Garreau said.
    He remembers feeling uneasy about the men but pushed the negative thoughts aside. Garreau, of Kasilof, doesn’t think about theft a lot. He expects civility among the residents of Kenai Peninsula, for the most part, he said.
    That ideal of good will toward others shattered when the boat motor was stolen. The motor, a more than decade-old Mercury 25-horsepower short shaft, was in mint condition, despite its age. The motor doesn’t concern Garreau. Abandoning two men, both in their 60s, does concern him, he said.
    “This isn’t something people do, leave somebody stranded in the middle of nowhere,” Garreau said. “I’m 68, and my friend is 62, and God forbid if we would’ve had a problem out there, whatever, we could’ve easily been in trouble. It’s criminal.”

http://peninsulaclarion.com/news/201...ft-strands-two

Not good. I hate to see anyones stuff get stolen but I particularly dislike it happening on Tustumena Lake. This kind of thing doesn't happen very often here.

But switching gears for a minute, these guys should have had minimal gear with them for unknown emergencies that might crop up. My backpack goes with me always in the boat....or strapped to a snowmachine or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by tustumena_lake View Post
    But switching gears for a minute, these guys should have had minimal gear with them for unknown emergencies that might crop up. My backpack goes with me always in the boat....or strapped to a snowmachine or whatever.
    Kinda useless if your boat is bottom up in the middle of the lake.

Hang the thieves high. Then bury them face down.