Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Seward Halibut Recommendation

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    6

    Default Seward Halibut Recommendation

    Hi Guys,

    I was initially planning a silver salmon trip in the Kenai for September 4 but with the terrible fishing lately I think I might pull an audible and go halibut fishing out of Seward. How has the halibut fishing been lately? Does anyone have any charter recommendations? Thanks for the help and any information is really helpful!

  2. #2

    Default

    The sponsor of this forum, Crackerjack Charters is about the best in the business. Don't know that they will have any openings at that short of notice....Andy or Nik could point you in the right direction.

    kevin
    2002 Wooldridge Sport 2000, 21', 350 Kodiak Jet, "CindyLou"
    26' Olympic Sport Sedan, 5.7 Volvo, 280 Volvo, getting there, "CindyLouTwo"
    20' Alumatech Airboat
    EagleQuest Cabins and Lodge--Willow

  3. #3

    Default

    Seward Fish Co. Capt Randy Wells is the guy to go with. Check out www.fishsewardalaska.com
    Piscor Ergo Sum

  4. #4

    Default

    Randy is done for the season...spoke with him last Saturday at the fuel dock.


    Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff


  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, Washington
    Posts
    1,207

    Default

    KEH has it right. Check with Andy at Crackerjack Charters. If he's booked solid, he'll give you another recommendation. Can't go wrong with Andy M.

    But if you're wondering, yes I've fished with him before......

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Randy is done for the season...spoke with him last Saturday at the fuel dock.
    Yeah and??? I speak to him all the time. Doesn't mean he isn't booking trips on other boats. His boats season may be done but his "Business" is still doing bookings.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

  7. #7

    Default

    I have always been happy with Profish-n-sea.

    http://www.profish-n-sea.com/

  8. #8
    Member FishGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fishing your hole before you get there
    Posts
    1,947

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cmo1977 View Post
    I have always been happy with Profish-n-sea.

    http://www.profish-n-sea.com/
    Same here they have always been good. Specifically with Steve the owner.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Franken Fish View Post
    Yeah and??? I speak to him all the time. Doesn't mean he isn't booking trips on other boats. His boats season may be done but his "Business" is still doing bookings.
    Ok...you mentioned he was the one to go with so I mentioned he isn`t going out any more this season....did I miss something? And yes he is a great charter captain to go with and yes he makes an incredible effort to get you on fish (have heard lots of good feedback). Did not know he booked his clients with others...interesting factoid. Thanks for the info.


    Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff


  10. #10
    Member coho slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,852

    Default Re: Seward Halibut Recommendation

    Quote Originally Posted by Franken Fish View Post
    Yeah and??? I speak to him all the time. Doesn't mean he isn't booking trips on other boats. His boats season may be done but his "Business" is still doing bookings.
    You win over reaction of the day....

    Don't know.if they are still running, but Alaska Northern Outfitters have always found us fish.

    Sent on my communicator

  11. #11
    Member AKCAPT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Seward
    Posts
    1,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    You win over reaction of the day....

    Don't know.if they are still running, but Alaska Northern Outfitters have always found us fish.

    Sent on my communicator

    Totally....??

    There have only been a few boats running during each of the the last few days. I am fishing tommorow - East wind to 30 knots.... and Saturday and then I am going commercial fishing September 3,4,5 but Nik on the Crackerjack and Steve Z at Profish have room. It looks like at least one Fish House boat has been running daily as well as a Puffin Charters boat . All of these guys are out on the water regularly and know where some fish are at this time of year. They all are locals who will give you a solid effort.
    There is no need to pay a booking agent to get a trip in Seward at this time if year, all that does is takes money from the charter operator.
    Everyone has room and the fishing has been surprisingly good during the last week or so. There are huge schools of herring all over the Western Entrance to the Sound and lot of halibut and lings around.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    Totally....??

    There have only been a few boats running during each of the the last few days. I am fishing tommorow - East wind to 30 knots.... and Saturday and then I am going commercial fishing September 3,4,5 but Nik on the Crackerjack and Steve Z at Profish have room. It looks like at least one Fish House boat has been running daily as well as a Puffin Charters boat . All of these guys are out on the water regularly and know where some fish are at this time of year. They all are locals who will give you a solid effort.
    There is no need to pay a booking agent to get a trip in Seward at this time if year, all that does is takes money from the charter operator.
    Everyone has room and the fishing has been surprisingly good during the last week or so. There are huge schools of herring all over the Western Entrance to the Sound and lot of halibut and lings around.
    Its funny that you say that. Those "Booking Agents" supply business to local charter boats that wouldn't usually have the business. Some "Booking Agents" do more business for "Local Charter Boat Oprators" than their own neighbor has ever done for them.

    AK2AZ I apologize if that came off harsh. Just trying to keep the smaller, single boat operators working, and help a good friends business.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Randy is done for the season...spoke with him last Saturday at the fuel dock.
    To clarify Randy is done himself but the Rogue is still running. Seward Fish Co. is still taking bookings for the Rogue for 2012. If his boat is full he does book for other very good local charter boat operators.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    ...Nik on the Crackerjack and Steve Z at Profish have room...
    I would jump on one of those boats in a heartbeat if it were me...
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •