Thread: Seward Halibut Recommendation

Default Seward Halibut Recommendation

Hi Guys,

I was initially planning a silver salmon trip in the Kenai for September 4 but with the terrible fishing lately I think I might pull an audible and go halibut fishing out of Seward. How has the halibut fishing been lately? Does anyone have any charter recommendations? Thanks for the help and any information is really helpful!

The sponsor of this forum, Crackerjack Charters is about the best in the business. Don't know that they will have any openings at that short of notice....Andy or Nik could point you in the right direction.

kevin
    2002 Wooldridge Sport 2000, 21', 350 Kodiak Jet, "CindyLou"
    26' Olympic Sport Sedan, 5.7 Volvo, 280 Volvo, getting there, "CindyLouTwo"
    20' Alumatech Airboat
    EagleQuest Cabins and Lodge--Willow

Seward Fish Co. Capt Randy Wells is the guy to go with. Check out www.fishsewardalaska.com
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Randy is done for the season...spoke with him last Saturday at the fuel dock.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

KEH has it right. Check with Andy at Crackerjack Charters. If he's booked solid, he'll give you another recommendation. Can't go wrong with Andy M.

But if you're wondering, yes I've fished with him before......

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Yeah and??? I speak to him all the time. Doesn't mean he isn't booking trips on other boats. His boats season may be done but his "Business" is still doing bookings.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

I have always been happy with Profish-n-sea.

http://www.profish-n-sea.com/

Quote Originally Posted by cmo1977 View Post
    I have always been happy with Profish-n-sea.

http://www.profish-n-sea.com/
    Same here they have always been good. Specifically with Steve the owner.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by Franken Fish View Post
    Yeah and??? I speak to him all the time. Doesn't mean he isn't booking trips on other boats. His boats season may be done but his "Business" is still doing bookings.
    Ok...you mentioned he was the one to go with so I mentioned he isn`t going out any more this season....did I miss something? And yes he is a great charter captain to go with and yes he makes an incredible effort to get you on fish (have heard lots of good feedback). Did not know he booked his clients with others...interesting factoid. Thanks for the info.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Default Re: Seward Halibut Recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by Franken Fish View Post
    You win over reaction of the day....

Don't know.if they are still running, but Alaska Northern Outfitters have always found us fish.

Sent on my communicator

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    You win over reaction of the day....

Don't know.if they are still running, but Alaska Northern Outfitters have always found us fish.

Sent on my communicator

Totally....??

There have only been a few boats running during each of the the last few days. I am fishing tommorow - East wind to 30 knots.... and Saturday and then I am going commercial fishing September 3,4,5 but Nik on the Crackerjack and Steve Z at Profish have room. It looks like at least one Fish House boat has been running daily as well as a Puffin Charters boat . All of these guys are out on the water regularly and know where some fish are at this time of year. They all are locals who will give you a solid effort.
    There is no need to pay a booking agent to get a trip in Seward at this time if year, all that does is takes money from the charter operator.
    Everyone has room and the fishing has been surprisingly good during the last week or so. There are huge schools of herring all over the Western Entrance to the Sound and lot of halibut and lings around.

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    Totally....??

There have only been a few boats running during each of the the last few days. I am fishing tommorow - East wind to 30 knots.... and Saturday and then I am going commercial fishing September 3,4,5 but Nik on the Crackerjack and Steve Z at Profish have room. It looks like at least one Fish House boat has been running daily as well as a Puffin Charters boat . All of these guys are out on the water regularly and know where some fish are at this time of year. They all are locals who will give you a solid effort.
    There is no need to pay a booking agent to get a trip in Seward at this time if year, all that does is takes money from the charter operator.
    Everyone has room and the fishing has been surprisingly good during the last week or so. There are huge schools of herring all over the Western Entrance to the Sound and lot of halibut and lings around.
    Its funny that you say that. Those "Booking Agents" supply business to local charter boats that wouldn't usually have the business. Some "Booking Agents" do more business for "Local Charter Boat Oprators" than their own neighbor has ever done for them.

AK2AZ I apologize if that came off harsh. Just trying to keep the smaller, single boat operators working, and help a good friends business.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    To clarify Randy is done himself but the Rogue is still running. Seward Fish Co. is still taking bookings for the Rogue for 2012. If his boat is full he does book for other very good local charter boat operators.
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    ...Nik on the Crackerjack and Steve Z at Profish have room...
    I would jump on one of those boats in a heartbeat if it were me...
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.