Thread: Denali Hwy Wolf hunting

Default Denali Hwy Wolf hunting

I plan on running up through Paxon this weekend and was thinking of doing a nice long hike and figured I might as well bring the AR and call. Any advice on spots would be much appreciated..

Would reccomend wolf hunting some place else. The wolf numbers are extremely low in that area now days. Not to say there are none, but you'll be VERY lucky to find any. The wolf control program has really worked well up in that country. Don't even see tracks anymore in the winter.

Ya, I just read that there was alot of wolf control in that area it sounds like, I guess I will just go camping and hope to see something.

On another note, if I were using a predator call darn near anywhere in Alaska this time of year, I'd be carrying something harder hitting than an AR. You're more likely to call in a brown bear than a wolf, so be prepared for such if you decide to use the predator call.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    On another note, if I were using a predator call darn near anywhere in Alaska this time of year, I'd be carrying something harder hitting than an AR. You're more likely to call in a brown bear than a wolf, so be prepared for such if you decide to use the predator call.
    Well I guell I will take my 100 round beta magazine. Just teasing... I always go prepared.

May not be much for wolves, but there are plenty of bou and bou gut piles along the Denali Hiway. I would look for somewhere that had successful bou hunters. Good chance wolves are responding to the dinner bell when a rifle goes off.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

In unit 13, a rifle going off is not a dinner bell to wolves, it's a death bell.

I agree I think most of the very few wolves that are still in that area run like heck from any shots or four wheeler sounds. Most have likely either been shot at from the air or have had pack members taken from the air. So shots are not a plus. However I bet there would be some grizzly's around those gut piles. I guess there is another bear attack that just happened near Tangles.
    Mike

I just spent three days glassing around there and saw 1 wolf. I did see several bears.

No way I'd lay on a rabbit howler there unless I wanted a griz in my face.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I seen lots of wolf sign while I was up there this past weekend. Actually I believe I seen one on top of a hill but I couldn't confirm it. It was gone when I came back to check it again with the binocs. One area had LOTS of wolf sign, there scat was everywhere. It looked to me like they were stalking a herd of caribou that used to be in the area as well. If I was going to call there i'd call in a very open area where I can see anything for miles and have a big rifle for grizz, as they are open season as well. Might be nice to have an electronic remote caller like a Foxpro to set it 100yds out or so from you.

Quote Originally Posted by blasterak View Post
    I seen lots of wolf sign while I was up there this past weekend. Actually I believe I seen one on top of a hill but I couldn't confirm it. It was gone when I came back to check it again with the binocs. One area had LOTS of wolf sign, there scat was everywhere. It looked to me like they were stalking a herd of caribou that used to be in the area as well. If I was going to call there i'd call in a very open area where I can see anything for miles and have a big rifle for grizz, as they are open season as well. Might be nice to have an electronic remote caller like a Foxpro to set it 100yds out or so from you.
    Right on, that was the plan. I have a prey master electronic call and about 200 feet of cable and moving decoys. I will try that, I'm not getting my hopes up just gonna see what is there.

While at Alpine Creek in march we cut plenty of wolf track to suggest they are still abundant, nothing pack-like but many solo lines in vastly desperate areas so we know it's not the same wolf.

I'd key into areas low of the hills and out of trees.

Valley riverbeds.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I saw two coyotes up Valdez creek last week.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

You have to remember that there was at least 20 wolves killed in the predator control program in late March early april last season. Most were north of the Denalli. There are definetly a few wolves around, but the are few and far between when compared to an area like 20A and similar areas. Even 20B has a lot of wolves.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by akmike84 View Post
    You have to remember that there was at least 20 wolves killed in the predator control program in late March early april last season. Most were north of the Denalli. There are definetly a few wolves around, but the are few and far between when compared to an area like 20A and similar areas. Even 20B has a lot of wolves.
    Mike
    Hello Mike, I know your buying fur and have a good handle on that area. While the loss of 20 wolves would effect the overall wolf pop along the Denali for the summer, I think that reproduction will add those 20 back, plus some. With the Nelchina herd having healthy numbers, it only stands to reason that there are huntable numbers of wolves in the area. While the pop may not be what it was a couple years ago, nor as good as 20A, the Denali Hiway makes the area infinitely more accessible to a hunter.
    While my comment on dinner bells and rifle shots may have been off, my experience says numbers of gut piles will bring wolves in to an area, at least for a short time.
    Hopefully, Kevin, has a bou tag to go with his AR and caller. Good luck Kevin.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Hello Mike, I know your buying fur and have a good handle on that area. While the loss of 20 wolves would effect the overall wolf pop along the Denali for the summer, I think that reproduction will add those 20 back, plus some. With the Nelchina herd having healthy numbers, it only stands to reason that there are huntable numbers of wolves in the area. While the pop may not be what it was a couple years ago, nor as good as 20A, the Denali Hiway makes the area infinitely more accessible to a hunter.
    While my comment on dinner bells and rifle shots may have been off, my experience says numbers of gut piles will bring wolves in to an area, at least for a short time.
    Hopefully, Kevin, has a bou tag to go with his AR and caller. Good luck Kevin.
    I wish I had a tag. Like I said, im just going to do some hiking and I got a hankerin to shoot something so I am just looking for possabilities. We will see what comes my way.

I spotted a coyote at 400 yards about 2 miles back behind Gracious House and managed to call it to within 100 yards with only my terrible attempts at sounding like a dying rabbit. It came right in like it was on a string. I decided to not shoot it with my 30-06. Valdez Creek is just across the river from there. Sounds like the coyote population is strong in there.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Yea, im thinking of going back later in the year and trying to call a few in. I'll pack heat for bear and yote'.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!