Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Depth of a caribou's chest

Default Depth of a caribou's chest

What is the depth, in inches, of an average mature bull caribou's chest? Including hair etc. I want to get a better idea (vs. guessing) where to hold if needed when shooting.

20 to 22 inches would be my guess at an average, with some bulls going a few inches larger/smaller.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Which axis are you referring to? R to L thought the vitals? If so my gut says about 22-24 inches for a 3 or 4 yr old bull but just a shot from the hip. Call adf&g in fbks.

Clarification: I don't think the width right at the vitals is that wide but speaking of the center of the chest in the direction i mentioned.

Figure out what the average chest taped is for a caribou (circumference) and divide by 3. It is a standard animal measurement.

Do you mean width on a horizontal axis or height on vertical axis?
    Clarify for a better undersatnding.

Ie....top of back to bottom of chest OR outside of shoulder facing you to the oppisite side of shoulder away from you.

Since the OP's asking in reference to hold/bullet drop, I'm assuming he means top of back to bottom of chest of a broadside animal. 20"-22" +/-

Rich

I tend to agree with the question clarification but not the answer of 20-22"
    I would think it's a bit larger than that but I've been wrong before, LOL!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

figure... cow elk... for a nice 20 A bull.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by DonV View Post
    What is the depth, in inches, of an average mature bull caribou's chest? Including hair etc. I want to get a better idea (vs. guessing) where to hold if needed when shooting.

Behind the shoulder..

Caribou aren't hard to get within 250 yards of, often you can get much closer if you have contours or small tress to break up your outline. Use your stealth skills and take holdover out of the equation! Good luck on your hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    I tend to agree with the question clarification but not the answer of 20-22"
    I would think it's a bit larger than that but I've been wrong before, LOL!!
    And I too could definitely be wrong. My gut feeling is that an older bull would be + an inch or two, maybe closer to 24".

I looked into this a lot last year before a solo caribou hunt for the purpose of reticle ranging (to eliminate a rangefinder from my pack) and 20" to 22" seemed to be the most common consensus.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...bou-chest-size

If I were estimating bullet drop for my own shot on a bull, I'd stick with 22".

Rich

Yes for bullet hold, top of chest to bottom side view. I do not plan to shoot over 200, and try for 150 but just in case you never know - also I am always prepared for a looong shot just in case I need to follow up a wounded animal. I would hate to watch an animal suffer any more then needed I want to be completely prepared for anything. I usually bowhunt so I will enjoy stalking loser then is needed.

Thanks!

Also will assume 24" so, to hold for a long shot I cut that in 1/2 which is 12" so if my bullet drop is 12" I hold even with the top of the back and hit slightly below center (since bulls are only about 22" high) thus getting it into the sweet spot. I want to burn something easy into my memory for use just in case.

Don, I saw your other post looking for a shuttle transport to Delta Junction. You flying out with Golden Eagle Outfitters?

Default proportions are better to remember than inches

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    Caribou aren't hard to get within 250 yards of, often you can get much closer if you have contours or small tress to break up your outline. Use your stealth skills and take holdover out of the equation! Good luck on your hunt.
    Great advice md; best on this thread, actually. Giving measurements in inches for a random caribou to help a hunter that is far away from the animal and looking for the boiler room, is not the best advice imo (though it would answer the OPs question directly).

Drop back to your hunter ed class where they showed you drawings of the proper lung/heart shot. If you're going to estimate anything in the field regarding boiler room, leave inches out of it and just remember proportions. And like md said, leave bullet drop out of it. Most high power rifles can hit well at 300 yards if they're sighted a few inches high at 100 yards. Keep it simple.

No I fly with Mnt hays Air.

True about body size, but if you have to hold really high for some reason having a rough idea of that it mean is important. I have taken exactly one animal over 125 years in my life and I have taken well over 50 big game animals so I doubt it needed. I am just worried that, since most of my big game hunting (outside of deer at home with bow) is elk that I will unknowingly calculate in that body size and hit off. I have drilled into my head rough aiming spots for elk (dead on out to 250, slightly high and 300, spine at 350 etc) that will make me hit off when shooting a smaller caribou. It also provides me with a good reference for how high/low I can set my POI at to aim dead on out to 250 yards.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

. I have taken exactly one animal over 125 years in my life
    wow... your an old guy!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

What calibre rifle are you using and what are you zeroed at?

Most 30cal zeroed at 100yds will have little elevation correction to 300yds.

Just aim behind the shoulder and go.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I want to know how many (other) guys are sitting in front of thier computer and holding their hands about a Caribou chest apart.

I have taken exactly one animal over 125 years
    ... I bet that one was kinda tough eating.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Funny! Yes ttttooouuugghh animal! I am 2" high at 100 dead on at 200, good to 250 for dead on hold.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast