Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The full circle, full curl...

Default The full circle, full curl...

15 yrs ago, my dad hatched a plan to do a sheep hunt. He's really a moose hunter, but always up for a new challenge, so he planned out the details, bought me a pack, and we scouted out a spot in the Chugach for a walk-in. Despite being a fairly hard hunted area, we found and stalked a really nice 10+ year old ram. When we got in range, he told me it was mine for the taking and I had my first sheep!

I was a 15 yr old kid and he was 40 that year. As you might imagine, he was the one the really did the hunting, and I pretty much just did my best to keep up.

Fast forward to 2012. I'm now 30 and he is 55. I've got a few more mountain hunts under my belt, but dad still hasn't managed a ram. This time around it's my trip and it's a fly-in to the Alaska Range. After an great stalk, we were right in the middle of a band of rams, and I told him it was his turn. A perfect 40 yard shot, and this time he got to cut the tag.

I got to be the designated packer, but I figured I owed him. All in all a great trip. Covered a bunch of country (by Alaska Range standards). Located 50+ rams over four days. Didn't seen another hunter.

And one last picture to feed the dreams. There a five rams in it, and one was a good size dude. I passed on a 475 yd shot at him and elected to stalk closer... only to find I didn't have any way to get set up for a shot from the closer location. He blew the country, and I'm a wiser sheep hunter.

Yk

Awesome photos and trip, how about some stats on the ram or some more pictures of him.

Man that is SUPER cool! Great photos and nice ram!

I really wish I had the chance to mountain hunt with my dad. We still moose hunt together, and like your dad, my old man has always been a moose hunter. I asked him once why he never hunted sheep or goat, said it would take 10 sheep to equal the meat off of one moose. Hard to argue with that.

Congrats once again! Incredible looking country. That second picture is what sheep hunting is all about!.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Very cool. I got to chase a ewe with my dad when I was 12, but that was it. I've seen pictures and he still has 4 mounts of his glory days in the Wrangells, but that was before my time. What a cool thing to share a mountain hunt with your father, and a successful one at that. Hats off, sir, and thanks for sharing that.

That is just awesome! Congrats to you and your father. My dad never shot a ram (never hunted sheep), but has never killed a brown/grizzly bear and at the age of 73, that is one thing I want to make happen this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalldreamer View Post
    Awesome photos and trip, how about some stats on the ram or some more pictures of him.
    F&G says 34" x 12.5" on both sides and 6 yr old.

Nicely done. Great Write up!

Very entertaining and inspiring read. Congrats to you both and may you have many more trips together.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Interesting you shot a 6 yr old full curl. Must be healthy sheep. Wouldn't that suggest there are likely some really trophy sheep in that area?
    Congrats.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Surely the experience of a life time. thank u for sharing. Did the bios age him at 6? if so where did you had him sealed. nice to see a good full curl.
    wes
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellowknife View Post
    F&G says 34" x 12.5" on both sides and 6 yr old.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Interesting you shot a 6 yr old full curl. Must be healthy sheep. Wouldn't that suggest there are likely some really trophy sheep in that area?
    Congrats.
    There was some pretty decent sheep in the area. We were originally chasing a much larger ram in the band, but he was rubbed back really bad on both sides and we just couldn't quite make him full. I spent so much time squinting at it through the spotter trying to grow the last inch on the bigger ram, that it took a while before it finally dawned on me that the "little guy" was actually legal. When he dropped down on to the rock glacier to feed that evening, we closed the gap from 700 yds to 40 yds. One of my all time favorite stalks.

With one ram in the bag, I actually passed on a second on the way out. He would have been a bit heavier, but just barely full curl. No point in pushing my luck with barely legal ones when I'm already carrying meat. Had him dead to rights at 200 yds... A few other nice ones were spotted at very tough to get at locations, and I blew the one stalk earlier. No lack of sheep to pick from, but no easy hunting in that part of the world.

Yk

Yk

Quote Originally Posted by wesleyM1990 View Post
    Surely the experience of a life time. thank u for sharing. Did the bios age him at 6? if so where did you had him sealed. nice to see a good full curl.
    wes
    Sealed in Palmer. Pretty clearly 6 yrs old in the hand, and the bio apparently agreed.

Yk

Awesome story and time well spent. way to give back to the man that showed you what it is all about. I salute you.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Thanks a bunch. Could be a need learning example for some of us. Could you or some buddy mark the yearly circles on the horns? Thank you for posting.
    Wes
    Sealed in Palmer. Pretty clearly 6 yrs old in the hand, and the bio apparently agreed.

Yk

There was some pretty decent sheep in the area. We were originally chasing a much larger ram in the band, but he was rubbed back really bad on both sides and we just couldn't quite make him full.
    Yk

Yk
    Congrats on getting your Dad a ram for sure. Couple questions.....

On the big ram, I notice you are saying "rubbed" back really bad. Does that mean you decided he wasn't actually broomed? You do realize that if he was "rubbed" bad enough like you say on BOTH sides, then you wouldn't have to make him full curl for him to be legal. I have a feeling that if he was "rubbed" as bad as you say then he was probably broomed. But of course not being there I really can't say. How thick do you think the ends were that were "rubbed"...??? Rams will break their horns and then rub them smooth again over time.

Also.... a bio told you he was 6 years old? FROM WHAT I CAN SEE HERE he sure looks like 7 to me. It would be very hard for me to believe a ram that is as full as yours is only 6.....imo. I remember seeing 2 illegal 6 year old rams that were killed. They didn't have near the curl that yours does. But then again I killed a 39" 7 year old. So genetics and habitat do play a big part.

Again congrats to both of you on the full CIRCLE, full CURL....!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

WOW way to make two great memories. Congrats to the both of you, I can not wait to do the same with my son, nothing better....

could you maybe mark the yearly horn circles?
    wes

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Congrats on getting your Dad a ram for sure. Couple questions.....

On the big ram, I notice you are saying "rubbed" back really bad. Does that mean you decided he wasn't actually broomed? You do realize that if he was "rubbed" bad enough like you say on BOTH sides, then you wouldn't have to make him full curl for him to be legal. I have a feeling that if he was "rubbed" as bad as you say then he was probably broomed. But of course not being there I really can't say. How thick do you think the ends were that were "rubbed"...??? Rams will break their horns and then rub them smooth again over time.

Also.... a bio told you he was 6 years old? FROM WHAT I CAN SEE HERE he sure looks like 7 to me. It would be very hard for me to believe a ram that is as full as yours is only 6.....imo. I remember seeing 2 illegal 6 year old rams that were killed. They didn't have near the curl that yours does. But then again I killed a 39" 7 year old. So genetics and habitat do play a big part.

Again congrats to both of you on the full CIRCLE, full CURL....!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wesleyM1990 View Post
    could you maybe mark the yearly horn circles?
    wes
    Yah, Please! Shouldn't be tough, just use a sharpie and take another photo!

That's an awesome story. It's cool to show the pics from before and then now. I can't imagine how nice it is to be able to go hunting with your dad. My dad doesn't hunt. I have learned everything I know from a friend of mine's dad or figuring it out on my own. Nice story. Thanks for telling us.

very very cool yellowknife...memories forever!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast