Thread: Bayliner aground in upper Herring Bay on Sunday 8/26

Default Bayliner aground in upper Herring Bay on Sunday 8/26

Does anyone have more information about the 60-foot Bayliner "Bella Vita" aground in Herring Bay on Sunday? From the extensive radio chatter, sounds like they either ran aground or swung at anchor, and grounded about 11:00 a.m. just as the tide turned to ebb. At least one bow-picker and a number of rec boats responded, and USCG launched both a chopper and their 45-foot Valdez-based rescue boat.

About noon, a private boat got a line on the Bayliner to try and pull it off, and managed to move it but not far enough. From what I could tell, the plan was to wait for the 9:45 p.m. high and try again. Wondering why they'd try and yank it off on a dropping tide, instead of stabilizing the boat on the rock (if possible; don't know how bad it was listing) and waiting for it to float off. Sure seems like dragging a 'glass boat over a rock on purpose would do more damage than letting it perch there for 10 hours.

I'd be interested to hear from someone who was there, with outcome and lessons to be learned?

~Steve

We were one of the boats that responded. I believe that they were drifting before they grounded, but that is just my speculation. When we arrived the stern was grounded on a very well marked rock/reef. Several attempts were made to "help" it off without success. They pulled from both the bow and stern. Fortunately they were not taking on water and as the tide receded it appeared that they would come to rest bow down. She was listing a bit to the port side.

It was nice to see all of the concerned boaters in the area. There must have been 8-10 of us on scene within a half an hour of the call.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I was out in the sound as well and heard the call over the radio. We were too far way to assist however. But there were alot of boats out in the sound at that time and I was very supprised to hear that only one or two responded to the coastguards requests (on the radio) to assist the boat. Now finding out that 8-10 boats did infact assist as requested. I guess maybe not all boats have radios? Also, whoever's mic was stuck open, please get a new one. That was a very bad time for your equiptment to go down. I also have yet to hear the outcome but can only hope for the best. I take alot of comfort while being out in the sound and knowing that complete strangers will drop what what they are doing and assist in a real time of need. Just goes to show you that most boaters are very good people and will assist a stranger in their time of need. God Bless the AK Boater... "fishon"
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

I was first on the scene as I just lifted anchor from Herring Bay when I heard the call. Took me probably all of 10 minutes to get there. He wanted me to pull him off of the rocks but had a rope that was about only 30 feet long and tide was ripping pretty bad. After a few tries, I gave up and passed the line to a bow-picker that showed up. and he tied that line to another one he had on his boat to lengthen it. They made numerous attempts from the front and back but were unsuccessful. My understanding is that the captain was on the fishing deck untangling lines and the boat drifted on to the rocks.

According to the friend who was in the bow-picker, this is Bella Vita's second time grounding in the last few months as he assisted in the last one too. I zipped over there just to make sure that no one was in danger and it was apparent that they were ok other than the damage to the boat. There were about 10 boats that responded very quickly and we got about 7 minutes of footage including the USCG Helicopter.

I left after about an hour of drifting around in case anyone needed anything and last transmission I heard was that they would wait until the next high tide. A boat was staying with them until then. My hats off to those who responded and it was heartening to see that people would speed over to help. Made me feel better about my fellow boaters out there.

I talked with the coast guard yesterday afternoon and the Bella Vita was re-floated without incident as the tide advanced. They made it back to port safely.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Re: Bayliner aground in upper Herring Bay on Sunday 8/26

Sounds like they should stay there.

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk 2
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Default Re: Bayliner aground in upper Herring Bay on Sunday 8/26

And throw that video up on you tube if you can, I would like to see it.

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk 2
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

DSC_0172.jpgI was in whittier today and i saw the bella vita being hauled out and was told he may have had punched a hole in the hull.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    ...I saw the bella vita being hauled out and was told he may have had punched a hole in the hull.
    Potbuilder: Gee, do you think? Sounds like somebody is beating Bella Vita like a rented mule!

Kaisersosei: Thank you for lending a hand to a fellow mariner (no matter the circumstances), and for your willingness to sacrifice a chunk out of your "10 and 2 Sunday" to help out a boater who clearly needs to study their Lethcoe: "Herring Bay... contains many rocks and rocky isles. Most of the rocks marked on the chart show at most stages of the tide due to the uplift accompanying the 1964 earthquake. One can maintain deep water by following a midchannel course between these obstacles." [5th E. p. 128]

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKL View Post
    Potbuilder: Gee, do you think? Sounds like somebody is beating Bella Vita like a rented mule!

Kaisersosei: Thank you for lending a hand to a fellow mariner (no matter the circumstances), and for your willingness to sacrifice a chunk out of your "10 and 2 Sunday" to help out a boater who clearly needs to study their Lethcoe: "Herring Bay... contains many rocks and rocky isles. Most of the rocks marked on the chart show at most stages of the tide due to the uplift accompanying the 1964 earthquake. One can maintain deep water by following a midchannel course between these obstacles." [5th E. p. 128]
    Looked like another accident waiting to happen with those skinny spring lines holding that big slab on the trailer, i had to leave to catch the 12 o'clock flush(tunnel) so i don't know what happened after i left, sure hope it didn't slide off the trailer and on to the ramp !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Why do you think they dispatched a USCG Helicopter. That's not typical, is it? I think they should have a helicopter on standby all summer long in PWS, considering how busy it is. Think that helicopter dispatch is related to that poor woman losing her life a couple weeks back? Maybe they are doing things differently after that.

They have a helicopter at Cordova coasties.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692