Thread: knik river to george lake

Default knik river to george lake

is it possible to launch a boat in the knik river and ride all the way to george lake? from the maps i have looked at it doesnt look possible but i wanted to know if anyone has done it.

In an airboat, yes.

um.... I'm no "airboat" expert but I'd say no way. Below the knik glacier there is a small body of water full of small bergs and such. You should be able to get that far. But to get to what I call Lake George, you have to go through the knik river gorge.

Let's say that you can negotiate your way through the bergs of the lower glacial lake and that you get through the gorge (one side of which is glacier and it's very narrow in spots. This year there is one place where most of the water actually flow under the ice!) without anything calving on top of you...... Then you are close but still several hundred feet from the real Lake george. The river actually doesn't have much outflow from Lake George. It primarily flows out of the valley to the South of Lake George. I fly that area a lot and I know it well. Just my opinion...... don't want to get anyone's dander up.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    In an airboat, yes.
    Brian, I'll follow you if you want to try it. I looked at it last year but don't see any way to get though, the creek bed was dry dry dry, with big rocks last year, going behind that big obstruction that the glacier comes up to. Maybe more water this year, but I havn't been up there this year to look, but would imagion very rocky and turbulant if there is water in the creek bed. Bud
    Wasilla

Looked at it from the air....apparently I am wrong.
    BK

I was up there yesterday theres ice bergs blocking the body of water below the knik glacier. ya I don't think you can get to lake george !!! maybe in a few years. we did see a spike fork up there though!!!

Before the 64 earthquack, the ice dam would break and drain lake george didn't it......? I am told it was a cool thing to see.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/