Thread: Fortymile Caribou Zone 1 Closure

Default Fortymile Caribou Zone 1 Closure

From the EO:

"Fortymile Caribou Season to Close on Steese Highway

The State of Alaska fall hunting season for Fortymile caribou in areas accessible from the Steese Highway in Zone 1 will close after one day of hunting at 11:59p.m. Wednesday night, August 29, 2012. "

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ho...08-25-2012.pdf

Now we know where the caribou are...
    "Your papers are not in order"

They did this 2 years ago, too. Season was open for 1 day, didn't hit the quota, and opened it up again later. A lot depends on the weather and visibility.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Whether the bou are there are not, you can now safely assume there will be plenty of hunters there. Only about, what, 18 hours of daylight to hunt?
    Wasn't it just 2 weeks ago that the report was most of the bou were in zones 2 and 3?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

This makes 2 of 3 years that they have closed it after 1 day. They might as well go back to opening on Aug. 10th. The whole justification for changing to the 29th was that it would make it less likely that the quota would be hit so quickly and allow for a longer opener. If they're going to close it so soon, anyway, I don't see what difference it makes.
    James Madison

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by walk-in View Post
    This makes 2 of 3 years that they have closed it after 1 day. They might as well go back to opening on Aug. 10th. The whole justification for changing to the 29th was that it would make it less likely that the quota would be hit so quickly and allow for a longer opener. If they're going to close it so soon, anyway, I don't see what difference it makes.
    however as you may recall.. on the 10th.. All zones closed the next day. not just 1
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    however as you may recall.. on the 10th.. All zones closed the next day. not just 1
    True......but from my own selfish perspective, zone 1 is all I care about.

I'm just annoyed right now because I got Thursday and Friday off from work, but couldn't get Wednesday.
    James Madison

Bummed. I was planning to hunt Thursday & Friday. Taking my elederly dad and young nephew so need a place that we can get to in the Jeep. We've changed our plans to try and hunt Wednesday but I'm not too hopeful now.

If you see an old green Jeep CJ-5 up there feel free to stop and say hello.

I listened to the recording on the DFG caribou hotline, 907-267-2310, still had a question. I placed a followup call to the Fairbanks F&G office.

My wife and I are going back out into area 2 Wednesday morning, we'll be away from cellular service pretty quick once we get in the boat. The lady at F&G said I should call the hotline one last time just before we get in the boat, she expects that area 2 will remain open even if area 1 stays closed.

All we have seen in six field days out there is a very few caribou tracks- maybe a dozen animals and a very few caribou turds. All the tracks were pointed at the Taylor highway from the lower Goodpaster. One incidental cow moose sighting, but we are having a grand time camping from our little canoe.

After a month of trying to get something going up the haul road I wasn't able to get anything together and am doubling down on the forty mile zone 1. I to originally was heading up fr the weekend but am now heading out tommorow morning in hopes of bagging one off the road. Not sure of my chances but I'm going crazy with all my plans caving in.

Took a drive up the road and wow there are a lot of people up there. That used to be a fun hunt. Good luck if you go, combat hunting 2012

Default go primitive to thin army of hunters

Quote Originally Posted by FullFreezer View Post
    ...Good luck if you go, combat hunting 2012
    Leave me out of that... no way. Being safe yourself doesn't make you safe at all, in a very large group.

I once suggested going primitive (muzzle loader/archery) for this hunt to eliminate combat conditions, greatly lengthen (stretch out to weeks, not just a single day) the hunt's duration, better for all of the herd, hunters, the hunters experiences, and the bios would love it to, since they can so much better and more easily control harvest numbers from going beyond the number prescribed that year. This idea wasn't then met with any enthusiasm, as I suspect it will not again today. Oh well.

Wow there were entirely to many people Never had a four wheeler and after a six mile hike and about three hours finally spotted some bou but those more fortunate four wheel owners got to the herd about two minutes before me I now know the definition of combat hunting probably try my luck elsewhere next year. I also discovered how hard it is to comfortably identify a cow from a bull had a few in my sites that u now think were bulls, but with my lack of experience was unsure at the time. Better to play it safe I guess.