Thread: Is there anyplace I can go shoot 400-600 yards?

Default Is there anyplace I can go shoot 400-600 yards?

I am assuming there is a range on one of the bases, but can civis use it? If not, is there any other place? Thanks for any info.

I do not know if they are still in place, but Rabbit Creek Shooting Range once had silhouettes at 300, 400 500 and 600 yards restricted to no greater horse power than a .30-06'. I used to shoot at them many years ago, I have not been there for many years, so give them a call and ask.

Quote Originally Posted by PacWestFishTaxidermy View Post
    I am assuming there is a range on one of the bases, but can civis use it? If not, is there any other place? Thanks for any info.

Yes Ft Rich has a range.

No you cannot use it by yourself.

But You can shoot there, under DOD directive, under the cognizanze of a CMP Club.
    Alaska Rifle Club Shoots there a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    I do not know if they are still in place, but Rabbit Creek Shooting Range once had silhouettes at 300, 400 500 and 600 yards restricted to no greater horse power than a .30-06'. I used to shoot at them many years ago, I have not been there for many years, so give them a call and ask.
    Rabbit Creek no longer has any range longer than 100yds. You can thank the idiots who like to walk on the Costal flats and are too stupid to realize that they're behind a shooting range.

Birchwood has ranges to 300yd.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Thanks, I am getting sour on Birchwood. The crowds are too big for me, and someone is always setting up a target in line with mine, or just shooting mine. Plus, every time I want to do some tuning work, some guy plops down next to me with AR and burns hundreds of rounds, which I support, but it just gets a little frustrating when you want to try to shoot groups. It's been a really bizarre year this year at Birchwood.

If you ever find yourself on the Peninsula the Snowshoe gunclub has a rifle range out to 500yds I believe.
    There always seems to be sombody else shooting there but it isn't bad especially midweek.
    There is also a trap/skeet range and several pistol ranges to 60 yds or so. The pistol ranges are nice and thats where a lot of guys go who want to spray a bunck of ammo from their AK's or AR's keeping some of them off of the rifle range.
    It cost $80 a year but if you were just down for a day I am sure you could find a forum member such as myself who would take you in to check it out and maybe shoot a little.
    Just a thought.
    Chris
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    Rabbit Creek no longer has any range longer than 100yds. You can thank the idiots who like to walk on the Costal flats and are too stupid to realize that they're behind a shooting range.

Birchwood has ranges to 300yd.
    That is a **** shame. 100 yards is inadequate IMO to develop honest marksmanship skills with a highpower rifle, let alone offer true accuracy assesment of a rifle and the chosen ammunition of the day.

Sounds like one more example of the State of Alaska bowing to special interest .

just go up to houston ak and start blasting out the rounds you can find plenty of places to get the 1000 mile stare up there. i just usually go during the weekday
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by PacWestFishTaxidermy View Post
    Thanks, I am getting sour on Birchwood. The crowds are too big for me, and someone is always setting up a target in line with mine, or just shooting mine. Plus, every time I want to do some tuning work, some guy plops down next to me with AR and burns hundreds of rounds, which I support, but it just gets a little frustrating when you want to try to shoot groups. It's been a really bizarre year this year at Birchwood.
    Not to mention the people at BWD who point guns at me, handling firearms when people are down range, muzzle sweeps, not impacting the berm, shooting on angles across the range, shoot etc etc etc ...

Muzzle breaks are hard to take too, under the range cover, when you are next to them.... reminds me of my 3" 50 gun crew days....

I am an EPM, and folks shooting after hours seem to leave crap they shoot at on the range, too lazy to put in the trash in the dumpster

They have gotten lots better, and have and they RSO walk the line...that helps a lot with above stuff. Still, I expect everyone to be responsible for safety themselves. One incident, and we could lose a great place to shoot....

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    just go up to houston ak and start blasting out the rounds you can find plenty of places to get the 1000 mile stare up there. i just usually go during the weekday
    Where you been man? Miss your posts thats for sure!

I just started shooting again on Ft Rich wow what a difference between it and birchwood. I might not renew my membership it's quite, sometimes its just you and another person. Only problem if the mtns are clouded in you cant shoot... They limit it to 14 shooters I think after that they turn people away and you get a whole bunch of brass if you reload cause majority of them toss it in the trash can.

Quote Originally Posted by allen-ak View Post
    Not to mention the people at BWD who point guns at me, handling firearms when people are down range, muzzle sweeps, not impacting the berm, shooting on angles across the range, shoot etc etc etc ...

Muzzle breaks are hard to take too, under the range cover, when you are next to them.... reminds me of my 3" 50 gun crew days....

I am an EPM, and folks shooting after hours seem to leave crap they shoot at on the range, too lazy to put in the trash in the dumpster

They have gotten lots better, and have and they RSO walk the line...that helps a lot with above stuff. Still, I expect everyone to be responsible for safety themselves. One incident, and we could lose a great place to shoot....
    3 inch 50?!!! That goes back a ways! Was on a WWII-made oiler (USS Ashtabula) for a few weeks a long time ago. We got to man and fire the 3 inch 50's - beat the gunner's mates even though they screwed with our sights. I wish I still had the "brass" I got - would look great on my reloading bench!

I like Rabbit Creek. I am appreciative of the range masters there. However, it bugs me they let people shoot at clay pigeons placed on the ground just a few yards in front of the benches. Considering all the rocks out there, ricochets are a serious possibility.

Speaking of idiots walking on the flats, last year a helicopter decided to do some taxi practice for about 20 minutes on the far side of the berm...

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    Where you been man? Miss your posts thats for sure!

Summer keeps me away from my keyboard allot, winters commin back now.
    Semper Fi!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Pac-West & Allen-AK:

Try USSA.

It's a little farther to go, but not crowded.
    The facilities are excellent.
    IIRC, 4 ranges, with the longest, 200 yds.
    $5.00 per day for members, currently.

I have EPM memb. at BW, but for some reason, I always shoot better at USSA.

BW can be scary when it's open to the public.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Have we met at USSA Smitty? I'm an RSO there.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Have we met at USSA Smitty? I'm an RSO there.
    I know Chris, and I've met a couple-three, other RSOs there, but can't remember their names.

I've been drivin a White Truck with Cabover Camper when I come up there.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Is there anyplace I can go shoot 400-600 yards?

Doug, I would be down to burn some 50:1 over a weekend next summer to help streeech that range out at least another 100 yards. I have access to a local range out to 100 yards but would dang sure make the drive if I could shoot out to 400.

Smitty- we met and spoke last month down at the last range cover. I was there shooting the AR with the kids and came over to appologize for all the racket. I was the fat guy

Lujon- we'll give it a try next year.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem