Thread: Smoking Lingcod

Default Smoking Lingcod

Without sifting through about a million previous "fish smoking" posts, I'm sure someone here has undoubtedly smoked ling before and just looking for any tips. Anything different than how you'd normally smoke salmon?
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Mutt,

I have had great success with smoking my white species (halibut, cod, rockfish, kelp greenling) with similar applications as my salmons, but with these two differances: skin is off and fish is basted twice and flipped once with a coating of clear salad oil.
    Make sure any layer of darker fat is pared away (strong fishy flavor) in this process.

The white flesh will be of less fat, thus the oil to prevent it from becoming rubbery in texture. Wipe the excess smoky oil off as you conclude your smoking.

Personally, I reserve ling for baking or broiling, but if you you insist, this is the way. Lavrakas will be my guest in about a week, and he'll be examining my custom bi-fold, nine foot, six-rack, four-latched, exterior crushed rock inlay with stag horn pulls that I constructed. I offered its history and image for Alaska Dispatch if he deems my smoker is worth his ink...

Rosenberg; Kodiak, AK / Sarasota, FL
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard R. Rosenberg View Post
    Mutt,

I have had great success with smoking my white species (halibut, cod, rockfish, kelp greenling) with similar applications as my salmons, but with these two differances: skin is off and fish is basted twice and flipped once with a coating of clear salad oil.
    Make sure any layer of darker fat is pared away (strong fishy flavor) in this process.

The white flesh will be of less fat, thus the oil to prevent it from becoming rubbery in texture. Wipe the excess smoky oil off as you conclude your smoking.

Personally, I reserve ling for baking or broiling, but if you you insist, this is the way. Lavrakas will be my guest in about a week, and he'll be examining my custom bi-fold, nine foot, six-rack, four-latched, exterior crushed rock inlay with stag horn pulls that I constructed. I offered its history and image for Alaska Dispatch if he deems my smoker is worth his ink...

Rosenberg; Kodiak, AK / Sarasota, FL
    Thank you Sir Rosenberg for the tips. I have smoked halibut before with good results, but halibut and lings certainly are different beasts. I have a big ol' chunk 'o ling that will be going on my grill tonight with a brushing of sesame oil and a sprinkle of cajun spice.

And I'd look forward to seeing that rig of yours!

Default Smoking Lingcod

Hey Muttley,
    Let us know how it turns out. I am interested as I'm thinking of doing some halibut in a few weeks and figure they are somewhat similar.

Quote Originally Posted by cwm907 View Post
    Hey Muttley,
    Let us know how it turns out. I am interested as I'm thinking of doing some halibut in a few weeks and figure they are somewhat similar.
    I will, but it probably won't be until next week. I'll tell you one thing for sure, ling that has been brushed with sesame oil then seasoned with just salt and pepper and grilled over hardwood charcoal with some alder chips thrown on for some smoke is deeeeeelicious!!!

The best Ling I've had is lightly hot smoked, then flash broiled.

It's hard to smoke because it's so oily.