Thread: Hunting with my little buddy and a fond memory...

Default Hunting with my little buddy and a fond memory...

Image.jpg

Here is a pic of my 11yo, "not so little anymore" little guy toting his great grandfather's, grandfather's, father's and someday his Marlin 30-30 on his first multi-day hunt with the guys. He toted that old thing up and down the hills like a champ.

I shot my first deer with that rifle some 28 odd years ago, my father his- some 50 odd years ago, my grand-dad and his brother killed a whole pile of deer for years with the rifle as well. Admittedly, not the best rifle choice for a Nelchina caribou, but he likes it and in some way I think his departed grandfather would have liked that fact too.

Great hunt with JohnnyB, even though we couldn't close the deal on a critter- we saw some great critters and had a great time.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Sounds like a great time out with your boy and looks like you had some good weather as well! I like that your boys 30-30 has so much family history, not too many guns made it down through my family but the few that have got some miles on them and will continue to.

I agree.great times. not many find the time to get the kids out.great job
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Image.jpg

Here is a pic of my 11yo, "not so little anymore" little guy toting his great grandfather's, grandfather's, father's and someday his Marlin 30-30 on his first multi-day hunt with the guys. He toted that old thing up and down the hills like a champ.

I shot my first deer with that rifle some 28 odd years ago, my father his- some 50 odd years ago, my grand-dad and his brother killed a whole pile of deer for years with the rifle as well. Admittedly, not the best rifle choice for a Nelchina caribou, but he likes it and in some way I think his departed grandfather would have liked that fact too.

Great hunt with JohnnyB, even though we couldn't close the deal on a critter- we saw some great critters and had a great time.
    Those old guns handed down have a special place in my heart. Don't ever let it go...
    "Your papers are not in order"

It don't get no better than that for a kid and family. First blood will come soon enough.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Making memories that will be carried down the line, just like that rifle.

He looks very happy holding that rifle, good luck to you and him!
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

That is One Great Pic,...speaks volumes

The Rifle, loaded with memories, and the best part of your quote,

"....., but he likes it and in some way I think his departed grandfather would have liked that fact too."

is Perfect,

Imagine he's going to put a few more notches, across this state, in the memories of that Good Heritage Firearm
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Great post, it hits close to home for us. I love my dad's old 30-30, it's a great gun, but I believe it is out of commission. My grandmother gave me a .243 that she used to compete with for target shooting. From what I was told she was a very good marksman with that gun. A couple of years ago I put my niece (11) in for the Delta youth moose hunt and she drew the tag. She shot a cow moose with it on the second day of the hunt. Last year my daughter (10) drew a Steese Hwy cow tag and got her first moose with it. This year both of them drew moose and caribou tags as well, so the gun is getting more use, but no luck this year so far. I've knocked down my fair share of caribou and a wolf with it as well. Gotta love those family hand-me-downs!

What a great thing to have such a firearm to pass down. I still remember the feeling i had when I first when afield with my own rifle,, back a little straighter, stood a little taller and that I'm a man now feeling!! I'm sure it will not be long before he is filling his own tags and helping Dad instead of the other way around.

You can see the pride he has in the smile on his face!!!

Well done Sir.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Hadn't seen this thread until now Mike, great picture. A lot of young men up here (and elsewhere) have taken their first big game with handed-down 30-30s, Won't be long before Evan does the same!

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Hadn't seen this thread until now Mike, great picture. A lot of young men up here (and elsewhere) have taken their first big game with handed-down 30-30s, Won't be long before Evan does the same!

Perfect!!

hehehehe yea, I shot my first big game animal with an old iron sights 30-30(white tail deer in Montana) after what seemed like 200 miles of beating the bush(beating the bush was probably why it took so long). Just inherited my Dad's pre 64 winchester 30-30

My 18 year old son and I had a great hunt this Fall, and shared hours of time talking. My .338 is beginning to get a bit of sentimental value to me.. I've killed 20 moose with it I think(still basically a new gun).. more than that I just love the gun.

One thing I told my son was that fish and feathers will take your gun if you happen to shoot the wrong moose in a horn restricted area. Granted you need to know your bulls but what a way to lose a family treasure eh?

Always thought that rule was cruel and unusual in some cases.

Some years ago there was a study done on private firearm ownership during the Rev. War times. The study was based on records of wills and the author found that few colonists passed down firearms therefore, few of them "owned" firearms.
    This is the perfect example of why that study was bunk. Guns are handed down within a family through love and caring. Not thru legal wills!
    Cool to let the next gen hunt with a treasured heirloom. However, a 50 something old marlin is also collecting antique value. It's value will likely only increase if kept in good shape.
    Good post, Thanks.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!