Thread: My hunt was cancelled....Any reccomendations?

Default My hunt was cancelled....Any reccomendations?

I was supposed to go with a buddy to POW in Sept but he canceled last week. Since I was planning on that hunt I didn't do any research etc for hunting around here ( in hindsight I should have had a plan b). I have only limbed in Anch since Jan (spent last fall in St. Mary's ) so I don't know the area really well. Does anyone have a reccomendation for somewhere to hunt to try to salvage my fall? Black bear, moose, small game, anything to get out and hunt? Any help would be appreciated. I do not have an atv unfortunately. I would love to try to get my first blackie or a moose for the freezer.

Thanks in advance

I would carry on to POW without your buddy. Good Luck

Unfortunately we were splitting the cost, and I can't afford the whole trip myself, plus I wouldn't want to do the trip by myself. Thanks

Default My hunt was cancelled....Any reccomendations?

What about finding a last minute partner....
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Would look at hope, kenai mountains, talkeetna. mountains for blacks or just hike into the hills close to the valley. there are moose back there as well.good luck

could hike up friday or metal creek...get wy back in there. lot of bears back in there and moose. probably won't be alone in metal. lots of esy walking due to the trails. pack light and enjoy the solitude...bottom line is get out!
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Since he wasn't able to go to POW, we made plans for me to go to MT in Nov to hunt instead so my trip money went that direction, so I'm stuck to driving distance for this year. Plus I don't know anyone here yet (hopefully that changes )

I'd head up the Denali for great scenery, some great ptarmigan hunting and maybe an off chance crack at a moose, take a fishing pole too for grayling.

Prowl the Chugach range for a blackie.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Thanks guys, any other helpful hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to PM me with a suggestion if you dont want to post it for all to see

Thanks

why go to montana, Post some of the details of you hunt plan to include cost, expectaions, abilities here and request a hunting partner. I have had great success on this forum doing that and so has many others.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I am from MT and that's where my family is, so I'm going home to hunt with them

Where's home in Mt at?

I'm from out side of Missoula, MT

I'll be up in the Cooper landing area the first 2 weeks on Oct chasing rainbows and bears. If you wander down that way I'd be willing for some company for a day or 2.

Thanks! Ill probly take you up on that

Just get into the mountains for bears. You'll find blackies all over. If you have a week, you should be able to get into them easily. Kenai mountains are great for that. My boss saw a grizz out in Eureka last week. He's still alive By the lodge. Check that out too. Good luck. Grab a hunting partner from here and then you'll know someone.

Go Solo........

Probably your best bet for putting something in the freezer, I'd also have to agree, would be going after a blackie.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!