Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marshall and Jason sheep and caribou adventures, part 1 hahaha

Default Marshall and Jason sheep and caribou adventures, part 1 hahaha

Long story coming so thanks for your time!

It was a couple years in the making but Marshall and I were finally able to put our sheep hunt together. During my last deployment I was researching new gear and finalizing the packing list when I had time.

Marshall was busy with work and not sure what to expect or what gear he needed. At the beginning of the year he made his big ticket purchases and found out just how much quality gear costs! Haha, after an arm and a leg he was wondering how he was gonna get up the mountains!

Deposits were put down to hold a flight for us

Fast forward to August, we were pretty close to finalizing the packing list.
    http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/...t/P8060005.jpg

Of course I am always second guessing so I was dumping stuff the night before. We both ended up bringing too much food anyway.

We met at Marshall for some good food prior to rolling out. Our flight was in the afternoon.

Soon we were at the service and with a small hiccup taken care of we were off to the mountains. Needless to say the excitement was overwhelming. 4 years since my last sheep hunt and this was his first.
    At the airstrip all went well. Unloaded the gear, set up a base camp tent and left our excess supplies. To include the smooth tasting Stella we brought for the inevitable celebration time!!

We were undecided on which side to hunt, that is until we saw the rams from the landing strip. Cross the river and up the mountain we went!.

Sure wish it would have been as easy as it was to just type that.
    After a few hours we made it to our first camp spot. What a view! This is the reason I love the mountains. No real word issues out here. Just us and mother nature. Doing what we do and figuring out how to defend what she does.

We spotted Marshall's sheep before bed. Got up in the morning and found him again.

Was really cool as we were closing the distance we would watch for a bit. At one point while looking through the spotter I cought movement to the right of the sheep. The sheep were on a small knoll and a wolf comes walking by. All three see each other at the same time. The sheep jump up, the wolf keeps going and while walking by he just turns his head and looks at them, as if to say I'm not hungry now but I'll be back! Very cool, but this made the sheep move up into some steep rocks, to the top of the mountain.

We were across from them and moved down our side, crossed the valley and got to their side.
    Here is Marshall looking him over.

After a very steep and long climb we made it above their hiding place. In doing so we saw some pretty nice caribou!
    Enroute we also so a band of sheep across another valley. We took the time to look them over and found another full curl. At least we were pretty sure from that distance. Problem was below us in the valley we saw a couple horses and hunters. Guided outfit I assume.

Well we got above Marshall's ram and looked and looked but couldn't find em. Then rocks they bedded in were very large boulder type and we knew he could be behind any one.
    We went around the other side and just as I was cresting the top, there he was, 129 yards below us. Him and his partner had got up to feed.

Marshall's maneuvered into position and put the smack down on him. To see how excited he was was awesome! I have taken part in many many hunts with him and this was just as fun as all the others. He was shaking and overwhelmed. We made it down to his ram and picture and work time began!

so we got the work taken care of and moved the ram back to our next camp spot. Was a pretty good deal as we set up camp semi close and stayed for the rest of our trip.

We had dumped most of our food below this spot, WAY below! Kept 4 days and stayed up here the rest of the trip. From here we were able to find my ram. Water was scarce and at on point we dug holes in the dirt and let the water seep in so we could filter it. Didnt taste to good but what ya gonna do? ahahah

We spent the next day cleaning up the meat and fleshing his cape. Got it salted by that night. Left the meat on the bone for now. Wanted to open as little as possible to bacteria. Would bone it when it was time to go down. We would let weather dictate when to leave, but I got me sheep 2 days later so all was well.

We built rock caches to keep his ram cool. Was pretty neat.

We set out to find the other ram and not sure what happened during that night but the rams on the other side of the valley had made their way to our side! We found two near shooters and watched them for a long time from just over 300yds. To close to call with the angle we were at so we left them until we could get a different look.

Found them again that evening and I was able to get just over 100yds from my ram. I watched him through the spotter until he gave me the look I needed. Full curl! He was up and alert by then, facing me. One through the chest and that was all she wrote! High fives and more work and pictures to start!!

super wide! The cool thing was that both our rams were 35 on the long side and 32 on the broomed. Within 3/8's of each other on both, just opposite horns. 13 4/8 on my long side and 13/3/8's on his.

Back at camp we finished the work and would move the next day. While boning and caping the meat we had a small ram walk right into camp! 4 bull caribou did the same thing and below us coming up the drainage was a sow and cub. It was getting dark as they were headed up so I made enough noise to get their attention. We watched em leave the valley. Very very cool to see all of this in one place!

Micro rocket worked well but this thing guzzled the fuel down. Back to the jetboil.

This is a very cool find Marshall's had. The true reality of the wild. A sheep hoof sticking out of a weathered wolf turd.

We made it halfway back the following day. And then to the river the next. We got stuck at the river as it had risen and we made it there pretty late. Neither of us had much left in us to try cross it then.

Next day we made it to the strip. 6 trips across the river and all was said and done. Got picked up on the 7th day of the hunt!! wow what a great time.

AAHHHHHHH Stella!!! hahahah

Headed home to process meat, rest a minute, repack and head up north!

Two beauties! nice hunt guys

Love the pic with the hoof!! Congrats on a wonderful trip.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Great pic and great story. Thanks for sharing.

congrats mates... great looking pictures
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Great write up, and excellent pictures! The sheep hoof in the wolf turd was an interesting find indeed!
    You guys didnt have anything better then stella artois to cap off that great hunt?!

Great rams, howd you like the Kuiu gear btw?

Great report and pictures - thanks for sharing! I've got to say, I'm salivating at a landing strip like that in sheep country. I could easily get in there in the 172 I fly with a partner who knew where it was. (hint, hint... ) Congratulations to both of you!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Great report and pictures - thanks for sharing! I've got to say, I'm salivating at a landing strip like that in sheep country. I could easily get in there in the 172 I fly with a partner who knew where it was. (hint, hint... ) Congratulations to both of you!
    shoot you could get a sky van on that strip and bring the wheelers or a small cabin.....

great hunt fellas and dandy sheep

Looks like a great hunt and a couple of nice rams, good job guys! Are you sure that was a landing strip and not a gravel road?

Congratulations on a well planned and executed hunt. Those Stella's must have tasted great!

Great writeup and pics Jason. Glad you are getting so much time afield this year, congrats to you both.

Great job Jason! Thanks for sending me the report, looks like a great time for sure!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

How did that Kifaru KU5200 pack work for you??
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Awesome trip! Did you ever put a tape on the wide one for a tip-tip measurement...just curious...

Outstanding!!! Great job guys and great report of your story
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

The Kuiu is by far the best I have used!! I don't have it all but the pants and rain jacket are top notch. Really cool side note but the week after this hunt I ran into Mr Ayers. The senior product develops manager for Kuiu up at cold foot. Really nice guy and was fun to talk to.

QUOTE=Chris68;1166384]Great rams, howd you like the Kuiu gear btw?[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Awesome trip! Did you ever put a tape on the wide one for a tip-tip measurement...just curious...
    I didn't. Know I'm curious and unjust dropped him at brow-tine this morning. I'll have to call and ask.

Great trip, beautiful double and a great find with the wolf/hoof photo! I'd be carefully bringing that home. Anyway, what were your rifle and caliber setups? Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    How did that Kifaru KU5200 pack work for you??
    Steve that pack is awesome!! I really put it to the test. 3 hours in the alder crap and not an tear or anything. Comfort level was more than I could ask for.
    I was in my Barney's pack the following week and the whole time was wishing I had the Kifaru. To the point the Barney's may end up for sale.
    Thanks for the tips and info on the pack.

Jason.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast