Thread: Fiberglass vs inflatable dingy

Default Fiberglass vs inflatable dingy

I saw this add on craigslist: http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/3228885902.html
    It got me thinking, what are the benefits of a hard sided vs. an inflatable dingy? It looks like a pretty cool little boat.

Weight and ease of storage on the roof come to mind. Might be rough on the gelcoat if you throw it on the roof.
    BK

A big question for me would be what else I intended to do with it. In my case I'd prefer the inflatable because it's sure nice to deflate a small one and stick it on a plane for fly-outs. Even if I bought that rigid guy, I'd still have to own the inflatable.

We used an inflatable for years but have had a Bullfrog for a year now and we love it. It has an aluminum hull and rotomolded "tubes". But we do not throw it on the roof of our boat. It lives in the swim step or stays tied to our mooring at our cabin. We changed because we were plagued with leaks on the inflatable(s) (we have had 3 over time), and often we overloaded the poor things and the tubes can sag and we would take water over the sides. Now we are high and dry.

In reality we never deflated our inflatables and took them on trips. For a spell I kept my inflatable on the roof of my Hewescraft, and even though I had the smallest Zodiak (8'?) it was a but much to launch and deploy it. The solution works for occasional dinghy use just fine but we do the cabin thing every weekend.

Sobie2

After owning about every type of dingy on the market I came to the conclusion the portabote are about the best there is. Of course, not any good for a fly in hunt.
    But they take up very little space on top of a roof or strapped to the side or back of a river boat to use for moose hunting.

Like Sobie2, when I had a 38 footer, I had a 10' Sorenson fibreglass dinghy with davits to carry it on the swim step. It stood up well to 15 years of taking the dog to shore and hunting trips and many, many snagged reds without fear of hitting a tube with the hook. It had ss rub strips on the two sponsons that held up well for beaching and was very stable. It all depends on what you're using it for and what kind of boat you have. While I've got an inflatable now that stows on the cabin roof of my 27 footer, I installed dinghy davits to make boarding from the swim step safe and easy but keep it on top while fishing.