Thread: Donnelly dome vicinity airstrip

Default Donnelly dome vicinity airstrip

Has anyone used an airstrip on the east side of the Glenn somewhat across from Donnelly Dome. Eagle Outfitters used this to transload my moose 4 yrs ago and was wondering if it was private, unmaintained, or public. The sectional does not show it. Was going to use it to access hunt DM772 across the Big Delta.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Presume you mean the Richardson, not the Glenn... The only strip that comes to mind in the immediate vicinity of Donelly Dome is the DOD assault strip on the flats just east of the Rich. It's more magnetic north of Donelly than east. How far east do you mean?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

That is exactly the one. Eagle Outfitters used it so I thought it might be open. Sounds like it is on military land. Big and open, runs north and south.

Yup, that's the Donnelly assault strip. It's part of Ft. Greely. Can't speak to it's status as far as private operations. Eielson Range Control would be the folks to call for the straight skinny.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Thank You, Bob

If you want to access DM772 you could fly out of Delta's public strip, most of the air charter operations use it- I can't imagine the military gravel strip would offer any advantage to access that hunt.

There have been a lot of changes to access on Greely lands the last few years.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit