Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheep Hunt Pics and Story

Default Sheep Hunt Pics and Story

Story is basically a recount of my daily journal.

Day 1-Flew in at 11am hiked towards valley I wanted to try. Made it to the pass and camped on top at 4500ft will drop into the valley in the morning. Saw 30 ewes and lambs and 2 sub-legals. Hiked about 8hrs.

Day 2- Dropped into valley, hiked to head of valley and up a glacier, saw where 2 people had walked the same place I'm walking, great. Crossed river at glacier to other side of valley. No rams, all ewes with very few lambs. Found where the other hunters skinned out a sheep head and left it on a sand bar, great. Weather is getting bad, wind 25kts and rain, fog. Make early camp 4pm, can't see the mtns. anymore. Tent sucks!

Day 3- Stuck inside tent all day. Went for a walk from 4-6pm thought the weather was improving but it's not. Wind, fog and rain all day.

Day 4- Still raining but good visibility, left tent at 8am went up mountain and found some good looking country but no rams this drainage seems to be a nursery. I decide to move and head back to the LZ and in a different direction. Broke camp went back and camped at same place as day one. 13 hours hiking and 2 climbs to 4500-5000 very tried. Both seals went out on the binos, fogged on the inside and range finder not working. Cold night, need warmer bag.

Day 5- Woke to ice on tent but skies are clear. Got all my stuff dried out. Heading back to LZ. Saw a ram and diverted towards it for a better look. Maybe legal on one side but short on the other, not a sheep I want. I decided to take a different way back to the LZ, big mistake. Found the grand canyon , took and extra 6 hrs to back track. Finally back to LZ and into a different valley. Kill 2 ptarmigan with rocks and grill over fire, yum yum. Just what I needed some meat and not freeze dried. Had another long day but not like day 4.
    Saw a half curl and more ewes and lambs.

Day 6- Woke up at 7, ate some oatmeal and took off feeling very optimistic. Started up a small valley and creek that I named " valley of the rams" just because I was thinking very positive. Not long after I spot 2 rams at the head of valley low on a moraine. Need to get close to see if legal. Close the distance and put the scope on them, one is not legal but the other is very close still need to get closer to tell. While I was busy putting the sneak on the rams I realize that I was getting tunnel vision and not looking around at the surrounding hills. So I stop and turn around for a look, busted, 11 rams up on a hill about 700 yds away. I hunker down and get the scope out, the 10 I can see well are all subs but one has his head down and out of view, then his head comes up, Bingo! I sneak back down the creek and out of sight. The subs that saw me don't seem concerned. It looks like a perfect setup, I can walk back down the creek and up the high bank and the rams are just at the top on a gentle hill side. The wind is perfect and the sun at my back. I scramble up the bank, adrenalin is really pumping now, put on my whites and belly crawl with scope and rifle to the top of a little bump. I can see all the rams now. 3 are real close 150 or so, one is around 200 and the rest are about 300 bedded down on the hill side. The sheep at about 200 has his head down and is in a divot so all I can see is the top of his back. I'm sure it's the full curl I saw from below, just waiting for his head to come up. I just lay there and wait, all the subs see me but must think I'm another sheep. Then I hear a super cub coming, NOOO!!! but it passes by without scaring the sheep. The ram walks down into the divot and out of sight but I can tell by the terrain that it will feed out and probably bed down by the others. It's very hard to be patient and lay there but I know it's best. About 5 minutes go by, he emerges. One last look, good. Bang, roll, hunt is over! Shot at 12pm back at LZ @ 5pm with sheep and camp.

Day 7 - Fly home!

Dead sheep is in lower right of pic

Awesome. I love those rams with the really pronounced growth rings.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

great job. one beautiful sheep, congrats. way to tough it out. what tent did you have? when I hit the lottery......

Excellent...!!! And again.....another guy that's lucky enough to kill a ram in gentle terrain....

Congrats...!!!

PS.....the measurements...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Congrats on the ram and hunt!

Nice ram, 9 years old?
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Awesome ram, well earned and a great reward for sticking out a rough hunt.

Awesome photos!!! Congrats Sir.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

What a good story and photos. You earned that ram for sure and looks like you made a perfect shot. To do it alone is very rewarding!
    Way to go and thanks for sharing it with us.

35 on both sides and 13 at the bases

Interesting on the measurements. I would have guessed he was several inches longer on the left side. Cool sheep and hard earned

Very nice ram. Helluva tough time doing all that hiking but the reward is oh so sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Interesting on the measurements. I would have guessed he was several inches longer on the left side. Cool sheep and hard earned
    Me too...and thinner on the bases. Great ram, S-man! Did you fly yourself?

Congrats for persevering! The mental game can be a quicker killer than anything else. That will be one for you to remember for a long time. Thanks for writing it up! By the way, what was your rifle and caliber setup?

Great job and your story had me right there beside you. And as hoose35 inquires also, how old do you age it at?

Thanks

Congrats on an awesome SOLO hunt. ....there is little accomplishment more deserved than gutting it out through a mentally and physically challenging hunt......and coming home with a full pack of meat, cape, and horns. Enjoy that sheep meat!

Quote Originally Posted by SkwentnaMan View Post
    35 on both sides and 13 at the bases
    Please let us know how old they said he was. Thanks.

Congrats on a great ram and some time alone in nice looking country!

congratulations is in order for sure! Well done.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Ram is 8 1/2 to 9 years old. I'm shooting a 7mm Rem Mag in a Win rifle that I've hunted with for 16 years and will NEVER part with. It will shoot dime groups at 100 yds no B.S. The same 3x9 VX-II has been on it for all these years and never loses its zero.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast