Thread: Tripod recommendation

Default Tripod recommendation

I bought a new swaro spotter and I am looking for a tripod for it. I have a vanguard lite that I have used on occasion on backpacking hunts, but I am looking for a taller, lightweight, durable tripod. I really have no expertise on tripods, what do you guys use/recommend?
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Go to the local camera shop and test the tripods of your choice using your scope. Be sure the scope is stable, many have a hook that hangs from the center to allow weights to be hung on the tripod and stabilize it. Tripods now come in carbon-fibre which is half the weight of aluminum and stronger. Make sure you like the head and the way it tracks and adjusts and it allows full function of your scope, also consider you may later use the tripod to take self-timer type pictures and do some digiscopeing. Get a tripod that is the correct height for your applications. Alllow for lots of wind, closer to the ground less wind/more grass and obstructions. Does it fit in the area you need it to fit in, length+width ? Good Luck !!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I looked at tripods and ended up getting a vortex tripod, out of the ones I looked at, I like it the best.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    I looked at tripods and ended up getting a vortex tripod, out of the ones I looked at, I like it the best.
    Hope it gives you many years of enjoyment ! Good Luck
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I bought one of these last year and I'm very happy with it. I put a Manfrotto pistol grip head on it. This supports my Swarovski 65HD very well.

http://www.gitzo.us/series-00-carbon...section-g-lock

Used Nikon and Cullman tripods before this one. Also used to have a very heavy (for photography only) Manfrotto tripod. That was great for going to the range, but way to heavy for hunting.